Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 10:57:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin or Altcoin before the hardfork?  (Read 817 times)
MadMac (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 05:07:51 PM

Bitcoin is right now pushed to old or even new heights with people anticipating the coming hardfork and thus free money.

Would it make sense to (re)invest in BTC just for that and then get out again? Think twice!

1) There is a huge price increase for BTC in the recent days, but without any trading volume as in the past
2) There is no replay protection for the hardfork, meaning you can not just sell off the new gained gold without risking to lose all. Sit on the "Gold" and see how that dividend is calculated in the total supply.
3) Altcoins are at a good and interesting price level to invest right now, with better potential than a hyped Bitcoin whatsoever.
In summary, stay away from it, invest in OmiseGo or IOTA or whatever you see fit for the future. Don't get scammed from Bitcoin Golddiggers.

Stay safe!

(my x-post from steemit)
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MissionPhailed

Activity: 583
Merit: 503

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:07:47 PM

You've certainly got a point; investing into a coin with a value that has already gone up significantly isn't a brilliant move generally, even if it is Bitcoin. I have my focus at some altcoins too at the moment as they are now somewhat cheaper and I suspect this situation will remain until the hardfork. Alts will probably (hopefully?) more or less recover after the hardfork.
xFiber

Activity: 336
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:13:39 PM

Interesting stuff you've got there.
For me personally bitcoin has been the number one cryptocurrency on my investing list. So with or without 2x I will be holding the majority of my money in bitcoin. Due to the risk of replay attacks I won't be touching my potential bitcoin gold anyway.
Altcoins are always an option but I don't feel comfortable doing so because all altcoins are still heavily dependent on bitcoin.
In the end I don't really mind too much. I'm in for the long run. 
3kpk3

Activity: 882
Merit: 148

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:13:53 PM

I think it is best to invest in both bitcoin and altcoins for long term profits. My strategy is buying and HODLING any crypto which includes all altcoins. Short term trades are far more riskier which is why I prefer long term trades.

Iolanna

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:21:22 PM

I'm keeping some part in Altcoins as a long term investment and a part in BTC. I don't think that hardfork worth selling all ALTs. Instead it's a good chance to buy some good coins for cheaper price Smiley
TimeHacker

Activity: 521
Merit: 256

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:42:36 PM

It's very hard to say if it will be more profitable to hold BTC or buy altcoins, but I'm actually also considering buying some alts just before the fork for discounted prices. Time will tell if it was better than holding BTC.

btcwish1

Activity: 401
Merit: 108

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 06:48:55 PM

Which alt coins will be good idea?  I already have some XRP and BAT. shall I just buy more of those?  Or shall I invest in some other coins instead?  Thanks Smiley
rayk

Activity: 448
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
October 09, 2017, 07:06:30 PM

Bitcoin but you should have bought before not today. If you bought it a week ago then it is good. But now it is too late to buy bitcoin. As its price increased, it will not be profitable.
ElPerrito

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:17:31 PM

Remember first august split for bitcoin, altcoins dead and bitcoin gained incredible momentum during and after the split. I'll say bitcoin.
Bummers

Activity: 62
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:26:04 PM

What's the replay protection thing? Why not just sell bitcoin gold straight away?

I think there is an absolute killing to be made by buying alt's in the next couple of weeks. Prices will be rock bottom, the question is which ones will see the greatest rebound?
FrankNoland
Copper Member

Activity: 560
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:27:22 PM

Bitcoin is right now pushed to old or even new heights with people anticipating the coming hardfork and thus free money.

Would it make sense to (re)invest in BTC just for that and then get out again? Think twice!

1) There is a huge price increase for BTC in the recent days, but without any trading volume as in the past
2) There is no replay protection for the hardfork, meaning you can not just sell off the new gained gold without risking to lose all. Sit on the "Gold" and see how that dividend is calculated in the total supply.
3) Altcoins are at a good and interesting price level to invest right now, with better potential than a hyped Bitcoin whatsoever.
In summary, stay away from it, invest in OmiseGo or IOTA or whatever you see fit for the future. Don't get scammed from Bitcoin Golddiggers.

Stay safe!

(my x-post from steemit)
That's an interesting statement, its more like you read my mind. A lot investors are currently dumping their coins so that they can be able to claim bitcoin gold after the fork. I also don't think that a good idea.

However, this can some how benefit some investors in the sense that they will wait for most altcoins to dump and buy more with their bitcoin, which is wise, since the value of bitcoin might even begin reaching new all time highs. This means that you will spend less bitcoin and get more altcoins.

Digital asset exchange for settlement, clearing, custody and trading of various digital assets, utilizing distributed ledger technologies, programmed on the blockchain -https://bex.global
go4crypto

Activity: 798
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 07:32:26 PM

I think a good strategy may be to hold your bitcoin and altcoin positions and add to any good altcoins
that come down to good sale prices in coming days going into the Bitcoin fork. 
chaosfourever

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:32:42 PM

Im sticking with my alt coins. My strategy is to hold and keep holding. These forks and issues come up too often and its safter to just hold. Everytime I chase I lose. To each their own.

▀██▄ ▄██▀
            ▐█████▌
           ▄███▀███▄
         ▄████▄  ▀███▄
       ▄███▀ ▀██▄  ▀███▄
     ▄███▀  ▄█████▄  ▀███▄
   ▄███▀  ▄███▀ ▀███▄  ▀███▄
  ███▀  ▄████▌   ▐████▄  ▀███
 ███   ██▀  ██▄ ▄██  ▀██   ███
███   ███  ███   ███  ███   ███
███   ███   ███████   ███   ███
 ███   ███▄▄       ▄▄███   ███
  ███▄   ▀▀█████████▀▀   ▄███
   ▀████▄▄           ▄▄████▀
      ▀▀███████████████▀▀
DeepOnion
Anonymous and Untraceable
ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord 

▄▄██████████▄▄
    ▄███▀▀      ▀▀█▀   ▄▄
   ███▀              ▄███
  ███              ▄███▀   ▄▄
 ███▌  ▄▄▄▄      ▄███▀   ▄███
▐███  ██████   ▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███  ███▄███▀   ▄███▀
███▌ ███   ████▀   ▄███▀
███▌  ███   █▀   ▄███▀  ███
▐███   ███     ▄███▀   ███
 ███▌   ███  ▄███▀     ███
  ███    ██████▀      ███
   ███▄             ▄███
    ▀███▄▄       ▄▄███▀
      ▀▀███████████▀▀
Elle47

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:46:15 PM

I think if you have bitcoin keep it. I would not buy bitcoin right now, $5000 might be a strong resistance. I think it is worth buying some altcoins on the dips, they will finally go up again.
justin86

Activity: 406

Market Integration Platform

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 08:52:52 PM

Altcoin for sure. Bitcoin is very high almost $5000. I think it is time to dump all bitcoins. Chart does not lool good at all. Big crash is coming ?  Roll Eyes Just scaring

CTO@MyBitMine

Activity: 796
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 09:22:00 PM

It's up to you, but I think hold bitcoin now much better then invest in some doubtful altcoins. If you prefer to invest in altcoins first of all You must do researches about it and do some hard work, with bitcoin you just don't need to do that things.
AUruHM

Activity: 896
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:33:09 PM

Partially bitcoin, partially alts. In this case you have possibility to change your position on any side. And opportunity to buy some good alts on deep.
Ch1bi

Activity: 289

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 10:38:31 PM

I'll keep most of my money in Bitcoin. If you want the most out of of Bitcoin Gold then you want to have a good amount of Bitcoin on hand. Also have some alts as the price of alts will be likely to take a hit due to the upcoming fork. It all depends on your goals.

SEMUX   -   An innovative high-performance blockchain platform   
▬▬▬▬▬      Powered by Semux BFT consensus algorithm      ▬▬▬▬▬
Github    -    Discord    -    Twitter    -    Telegram    -    Get Free Airdrop Now!
DeltaX

Activity: 644
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:13:51 PM

It's very hard to say if it will be more profitable to hold BTC or buy altcoins, but I'm actually also considering buying some alts just before the fork for discounted prices. Time will tell if it was better than holding BTC.
Because the bitcoin and altcoin is really volatility but in some reasons that depends on the trend of the coin itself just like this time with bitcoin fork and bitcoin still getting huge demand because alt users move to the bitcoin.
Texacha

Activity: 480
Merit: 68

View Profile
October 09, 2017, 11:20:24 PM

Replay protection is not an issue with Bitcoin Gold fork... it is with 2x fork in November.

I have no affiliate link, no bounty, no signature campaign... Only Proof Of Work!
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: