Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 06:44:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: WisePass "Ripple Gateway" -- SCAM?  (Read 2841 times)
MAbtc (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 05:15:08 PM

Looks to me like these guys are scamming. They ran a "BTC" giveaway where they had users trust them for 1 BTC. rL7Q47gzcJBTTGxcKKtkSgeXtenguwv7Vs has been cashing in Bitstamp IOU's in exchange for WisePass's (rPDXxSZcuVL3ZWoyU82bcde3zwvmShkRyF) worthless IOU's that are issued to those that trust WisePass.

Now they are running a "USD Giveaway" !!!

https://ripple.com/graph/#rL7Q47gzcJBTTGxcKKtkSgeXtenguwv7Vs

^^ You can see they've already cashed out a couple hundred real USD from those that trusted them. And going further back, all the BTC they have taken.

https://wisepass.com/
https://twitter.com/wiseXRP

...am I off here?

Doh.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Kouye

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

Cuddling, censored, unicorn-shaped troll.

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 05:34:16 PM

Of course this is a scam. Exactly the same TF has performed here : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=206948.0
Poor souls can now have fun trading TF.BTC for WisePass.BTC, thanks to Ripple...  Cheesy

[OVER] RIDDLES 2nd edition --- this was claimed. Look out for 3rd edition!
I won't ever ask for a loan nor offer any escrow service. If I do, please consider my account as hacked.
wisepass

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:24:18 PM

Dear All,
Our giveaway had the objective to generate liquidity and accelerate our gateway service.
Not to be labelled as a SCAM.

So far we received one complain on our support email.
With this message
Quote:
Return my XRP/BTC that you have taken from my account and replaced with your IOU’s as my account is now useless since your “giveaway”.

All WisePass IOU can be redeem into real currency/crypto, but the IOU has to be sent back to the issuer address and your destination tag.
A account needs to be set up so that we send the DT and know where to send the out bound payment.

Email us to set up an account. https://wisepass.com

This message is stored on our website and signed
https://wisepass.com/msg/pub201306042043.txt
TheDarKnight

Activity: 137
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:54:00 AM

Man I bought a little bit of BTC and a few dollars on there, now there's no trade with the ripple.com client and I can't get my money back into XRPs...what nonsense.

Please consider trading on bter.com via my referral link shown here, it's a great site for profit with a wide selection of currencies and low fees. https://bter.com/signup/1566

Ziftrcoin tips please!
ZZK4rj1yPRKjmZ26y9tvWq8oeEDUwiV31R
Red

Activity: 210
Merit: 111

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:22:16 PM

Man I bought a little bit of BTC and a few dollars on there, now there's no trade with the ripple.com client and I can't get my money back into XRPs...what nonsense.
Have you tried asking WisePass for help? He claimed to he was going to refund BTC to the person who had complained to him. If you are dissatisfied, I'd recommend that as a first step.
dandirk

Activity: 143
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:15:31 PM

This is what I don't really like about Ripple... So complex people have no clue what they are doing or the risks involved.

IOU junk is just confusing.  I would think Ripple would have been way better if they could have just straight up make a peer-to-peer exchange with escrow.  No IOUs that have questionable value or difficult to determine value (heck I don't know, they say its simple exchange anything to anything but once the details start coming out it seems too complicated and risky.. IOU here, trust there, gateway over here, rules for trust and amounts etc).
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 04:49:10 PM

IOU junk is just confusing.  I would think Ripple would have been way better if they could have just straight up make a peer-to-peer exchange with escrow.  No IOUs that have questionable value or difficult to determine value (heck I don't know, they say its simple exchange anything to anything but once the details start coming out it seems too complicated and risky.. IOU here, trust there, gateway over here, rules for trust and amounts etc).
It is simple to do it right, but it's also simple to do it wrong. Making it harder to do things wrong without making it more difficult to do things right is the challenge. It's harder to hit a nail with a hammer than to hit your thumb -- your thumb is a bigger target. But that doesn't mean there's something wrong with hammers.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
pivavar

Activity: 56
Merit: 10

in vino veritas

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 01:03:29 AM

IOU junk is just confusing.  I would think Ripple would have been way better if they could have just straight up make a peer-to-peer exchange with escrow.  No IOUs that have questionable value or difficult to determine value (heck I don't know, they say its simple exchange anything to anything but once the details start coming out it seems too complicated and risky.. IOU here, trust there, gateway over here, rules for trust and amounts etc).
It is simple to do it right, but it's also simple to do it wrong. Making it harder to do things wrong without making it more difficult to do things right is the challenge. It's harder to hit a nail with a hammer than to hit your thumb -- your thumb is a bigger target. But that doesn't mean there's something wrong with hammers.

Unfortunately this particular hammer you are selling is specifically designed to hit your thumb instead of the nail. Current ripple implementation requires to trust a gateway which gives the gateway access to the funds you hold with other gateways. Until this is eliminated ripples have no future

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game  (https://coinroll.it/?r=6)█▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=191176.0) • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=223474.0)
JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 04:57:13 AM

Unfortunately this particular hammer you are selling is specifically designed to hit your thumb instead of the nail. Current ripple implementation requires to trust a gateway which gives the gateway access to the funds you hold with other gateways. Until this is eliminated ripples have no future
If you trust someone or something that is untrustworthy, you can lose to the extent of the trust you extended. This really shouldn't be surprising. If I trust you to owe me $50, I can lose $50 if you aren't trustworthy. (We plan to change the system mechanics a bit anyway.)

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
nino_decoy

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 10, 2014, 03:39:56 AM

IOU junk is just confusing
It's not a difficult system. It's a replica of a system we already use. What do you think a check is? An IOU from you to another person making good on the IOUs your bank holds to you and ultimately based on the IOUs the government has issued to us all. I mean i'm not carrying gold nuggets around in my wallet...

That being said, people take banking for granted and don't understand or consider the underlying concepts. Banks, checks, debit cards are all just facts of life. "Abstractions", a programmer would say. The irony is that the system it replicates IS pretty stupidly astoundingly complex, thanks to people who have made a profit building up and building on the concepts of banking, debt, stock, shares, etc., etc.

Current ripple implementation requires to trust a gateway which gives the gateway access to the funds you hold with other gateways. Until this is eliminated ripples have no future

This is simply not true. By default, funds are NOT accessible to other gateways and if you choose to allow that, you get a big red warning to think twice. (This is called "Allow Rippling") You DO have to extend trust to the gateway, which IS tantamount to handing them your money and telling them they can hold it (see: bank metaphor). Not something you should do for just anyone but if you expect them to send you money, you have to believe they have it in the first place, I guess.

A list of gateways I would consider trustworthy is maintained here:
xrpga.org/exchangers.html

Among other things, they are required to disclose their funds and management.

*An easy solution if you have funds in a gateway you don't trust is to SEND those funds somewhere in a converted form. If you have $10 you don't want snapswap to hold, use it all to send bitcoins to your wallet. This will empty the IOUs from snapswap and put the funds in an arguably safer place.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 12:57:29 AM

Whoa.

Excuse me for being out of the loop but I didn't think people were still using Ripple.

Props to the ripple crew anyway though. I cashed out those free 1000 xrp and got some btc last year.
nino_decoy

Activity: 51

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 01:11:51 AM

Whoa.

Excuse me for being out of the loop but I didn't think people were still using Ripple.

Props to the ripple crew anyway though. I cashed out those free 1000 xrp and got some btc last year.

Nice Smiley
Yes ripple is Alive and well lol I use the network for transactions in all different currencies on a daily basis. There's just no faster, cheaper way to move or cross currencies and since there's no limit to currency support, you can exchange everything from dollars to frequent fleet miles to gift cards.
ruggedman_dan
Legendary

Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000

We on P. Sherman 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney

View Profile
June 11, 2014, 11:02:53 PM

Whoa.

Nice Smiley
Yes ripple is Alive and well lol I use the network for transactions in all different currencies on a daily basis. There's just no faster, cheaper way to move or cross currencies and since there's no limit to currency support, you can exchange everything from dollars to frequent fleet miles to gift cards.

Thanks for the update.

I will have to give ripple another shot. Honestly, I wrote it off as I saw the hype around it die down.

Seems like it could be useful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: