Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:01:09 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New to mining need a few tips.  (Read 1081 times)
aaronlolz (OP)

Activity: 32
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 05:46:33 PM

So I decided to start mining with my laptop at 30-35Mhash/s.
i mine at btc guild.

at what rate would i be making any amount of bitcoin?

for example, if I let it run 24/7 at 30Mhash/s for a week. would i earn any amount of btc?
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:36:44 PM

the figure i've been using which is really rough. no where near precise is US$0.50 per day for every 100Mh/s. assuming runing 24 hours a day. You have to subtract the cost of Electricity from that.
aaronlolz (OP)

Activity: 32

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 06:52:49 PM

New question reason being i am absolute garbage at math, at 0.0014BTC a day.. how many would i have in a month?

or better, how long until i get 1.0BTC
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2013, 02:52:36 PM

Maybe 2-3 months if you're lucky

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1091

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:04:47 PM

New question reason being i am absolute garbage at math, at 0.0014BTC a day.. how many would i have in a month?

or better, how long until i get 1.0BTC

At 500Mhash I get about 1 BTC 5 or 6 weeks.  Probably longer with the recent difficulty increase.

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:06:06 PM

So I decided to start mining with my laptop at 30-35Mhash/s.
i mine at btc guild.

at what rate would i be making any amount of bitcoin?

for example, if I let it run 24/7 at 30Mhash/s for a week. would i earn any amount of btc?

What GPU is in that laptop?  Make sure you measure your temps very carefully so that you don't fry it.  They are usually not fan cooled.
Sam

J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:30:45 AM

how long until i get 1.0BTC

Maybe 2-3 months if you're lucky

You're trolling now. I know he said his math was weak, but 30 * 0.0014  = 0.042 BTC per month and 1.0 BTC/ 0.042 ~= 25 months. So that's two years not a couple of months. But yes, he could be "lucky". WW3 might break out and throw most of the nethash off the network (what's left of it anyway), difficulty falls precipitously, the rest of us make a killing and barter our bitcoin for food and shelter. Nice one actually  Grin

Oh did I not mention difficulty is going stratospheric? Try http://coinish.com/calc (use expert mode to check the ROI after difficulty increase). Its a good antidote to Gold Fever.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Skrat

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 03:42:14 AM
Last edit: June 10, 2013, 04:06:04 AM by Skrat

Is it possible to link a secondary Windows machine to my main machine over a network so they can mine the same block? I'm starting off with the Ufasoft Coin application, though I don't think it has any server abilities.

[EDIT: 09-June-2013 // 2304]
If I were to use RPC's Cuda miner and set the host to 127.0.0.1 on the main machine, it would act as a single miner and not part of a pool, right?
J35st3r

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 08:33:56 AM

Is it possible to link a secondary Windows machine to my main machine over a network so they can mine the same block? I'm starting off with the Ufasoft Coin application, though I don't think it has any server abilities.

[EDIT: 09-June-2013 // 2304]
If I were to use RPC's Cuda miner and set the host to 127.0.0.1 on the main machine, it would act as a single miner and not part of a pool, right?

Solo mining is hopeless unless you've got several hundred GigaHash, and even then needs to be set up carefully to avoid orphaned blocks (no money!!). Join a pool instead like the rest of us.

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:37:58 AM

Is it possible to link a secondary Windows machine to my main machine over a network so they can mine the same block?

Everyone is mining on the same block at the same time.  So just point each miner at a pool, that's all you need to do.

J35st3r

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:54:30 AM

Is it possible to link a secondary Windows machine to my main machine over a network so they can mine the same block?

Everyone is mining on the same block at the same time.  So just point each miner at a pool, that's all you need to do.

Hmm, not strictly true as each pool is constructing its own new blocks to mine on. In fact several. simultaneously, so if you have more than one worker, they may be mining different blocks. But as soon as a block is solved, that gets broadcast to the net and all of the pools (and solo miners) drop their current blocks and start again using the newly mined block as a basis.

As a further twist, AFAIK a stratum protocol miner actually assembles the final block header locally. So you could say that all (stratum) miners are working on different blocks.

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 11:59:29 AM

Everyone is mining on the same block at the same time.  So just point each miner at a pool, that's all you need to do.

Hmm, not strictly true as each pool is constructing its own new blocks to mine on. In fact several. simultaneously, so if you have more than one worker, they may be mining different blocks. But as soon as a block is solved, that gets broadcast to the net and all of the pools (and solo miners) drop their current blocks and start again using the newly mined block as a basis.

As a further twist, AFAIK a stratum protocol miner actually assembles the final block header locally. So you could say that all (stratum) miners are working on different blocks.

Right now everyone is trying to find a hash to solve Bitcoin Block 240,749.  Nobody is trying to solve 240,748 nor 240,750, yet.

But, Skrat may well be referring you what you describe too?

J35st3r

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:09:56 PM

Right now everyone is trying to find a hash to solve Bitcoin Block 240,749.  Nobody is trying to solve 240,748 nor 240,750, yet.

Yeah, agreed. It was just a semantics niggle on my part. But in the case of network-partition (or if a block is solved simultaneously, to within net propagation time), there may well be pools working on two different version of block 240, 749. As I understand it, this issue is not resolved until the next block is solved, then at that point the longest chain is adopted globally, and the other block 240, 749 becomes orphaned, and that pool does not get paid.

I may be wrong though, just a newbie here, so correct me if I misunderstood. I haven't actually read Satoshi's paper yet, its on my to-do list  Smiley

os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 12:19:08 PM

Yeah, agreed. It was just a semantics niggle on my part. But in the case of network-partition (or if a block is solved simultaneously, to within net propagation time), there may well be pools working on two different version of block 240, 749. As I understand it, this issue is not resolved until the next block is solved, then at that point the longest chain is adopted globally, and the other block 240, 749 becomes orphaned, and that pool does not get paid.

I may be wrong though, just a newbie here, so correct me if I misunderstood. I haven't actually read Satoshi's paper yet, its on my to-do list  Smiley

Sounds like your more knowledgeable than I am on the subject.

Each pool/bitcoind may include different transactions in their block so in that sense they are different blocks because they will have different content.

I've seen allot newbies confuse pool rounds and network blocks and I thought maybe he was doing something like that.  But if not Skrat may want to look into using slush's stratum proxy to point multiple workers at the same pool.
Thanks,
Sam

J35st3r

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 01:55:01 PM

I've seen allot newbies confuse pool rounds and network blocks and I thought maybe he was doing something like that.  But if not Skrat may want to look into using slush's stratum proxy to point multiple workers at the same pool.
Thanks,
Sam

Yeah, but there is no need to go to all that length. I guess Skrat is worried about his workers duplicating effort (though his phrasing seems to imply he wants them working on the same block, which would result in duplication, maybe its just a problem of terminology). Anyway it really is not a problem. The pool ensures its workers all get different work, so there is no problem with duplication, and even if you use multiple pools, the chance of duplicate work must be infinitesimal.

I got a good answer to this the other day which may be worth linking to ... https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=226122.msg2380262#msg2380262

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: