Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:26:44 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my bitcoin paper wallet valid  (Read 334 times)
mpeill (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 08:49:36 AM

I've just created my first paper wallet, and purchased a small amount of bitcoin to test the process.
I first printed off securely a paper wallet, that provided a public and a BIP38 secured private key.
I then purchased the bitcoin mBTC and deposited that using the public key.
I checked that the bitcoin had arrived at my public key address.
I then tried to reverse the process, so first decrypted my private BIT38 key and found that the decrypted public key was different to the initial public key I had used for the deposit !
Is this normal? Can different public keys still point to the same private key?
If I then deposit more coins into the now different public key, will the deposit still end up in MY same wallet?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16593

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 10:29:49 AM

I've just created my first paper wallet
How did you create this paper wallet?

I first printed off securely a paper wallet, that provided a public and a BIP38 secured private key.
How did you print this securely?

I then purchased the bitcoin mBTC and deposited that using the public key.
I think you mean Bitcoin address where you say "public key", correct? The one that most likely starts with a 1......

I checked that the bitcoin had arrived at my public key address.
Did you check a website like this?
https://blockchain.info/address/1BitcoinAddress

I then tried to reverse the process, so first decrypted my private BIP38 key and found that the decrypted public key was different to the initial public key I had used for the deposit !
How did you decrypt it?

Is this normal? Can different public keys still point to the same private key?
If I then deposit more coins into the now different public key, will the deposit still end up in MY same wallet?
I'd say stop depositing until you've answered all questions Smiley

mpeill (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 10:49:42 AM

As a newbie, answering your last question first, I only deposited a small amount until I'm confident on the whole deposit to withdrawal mechanism, so no more deposits until it all works for me.
I created the paper wallet using bitaddress.org, offline, from a pc booted from a Ubuntu operating system on a usb stick.

Yes, I meant "Bitcoin address" where I deposited the bitcoin, starting 17P....

yes, I did use https://blockchain.info/address/17P....     (the same bitcoin address as above)

I used the same bitaddress.org utility using the Ubuntu booted pc to decrypt my Private Key 6P..... There didn't seem to be any issue there, and it gave me a WIF address of 5K...

LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3304
Merit: 16593

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 11:26:23 AM

I created the paper wallet using bitaddress.org, offline, from a pc booted from a Ubuntu operating system on a usb stick.
This is all good.

I used the same bitaddress.org utility using the Ubuntu booted pc to decrypt my Private Key 6P..... There didn't seem to be any issue there, and it gave me a WIF address of 5K...
Now it all makes sense: you used the Private Key WIF to swipe your funds, while your paper wallet uses the Private Key WIF Compressed. Try the same again, but use the compressed private key.

mpeill (OP)

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:53:44 AM

Ah, did it!! It's always the simple things. Thanks for your help.
TheAndy500

Activity: 1232
Merit: 266

> CAMPAIGN MANAGER < https://t.me/TheAndy500

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 05:22:08 PM

This is all good.

Now it all makes sense: you used the Private Key WIF to swipe your funds, while your paper wallet uses the Private Key WIF Compressed. Try the same again, but use the compressed private key.
I had a very similar problem and I did similar things, good advice! I greet and wish you good luck.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: