Bitcoin Forum
July 17, 2024, 08:21:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the SEC ever approve a Bitcoin/crypto ETF?  (Read 284 times)
ematt (OP)

Activity: 29
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:20:52 AM

The Winklevoss twins (and others) have been waiting forever!
Bittoshi

Activity: 280
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:29:05 AM

I really hope that there will be some true replicated crypto currency ETFs in the future. Some only based on Bitcoin, others based on the whole market or some special altcoin ETFs. This would be an interesting investment strategy especially for people that are not familiar with crypto exchanges and wallets.

Bitgesell (BGL):  A modern and truly scarce store of value. Burn rate is 90% of tx fee. Yearly block reward halving.

It's just the beginning!
davis196

Activity: 3038
Merit: 918

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:33:32 AM

I would say no.The SEC will always support the fiat money system with all the banks and hedge funds.
ETF approval would mean more regulations for the bitcoin community,which is bad for the exchange platforms and the traders.We don`t need ETF approval,anyway,bitcoin is getting stronger and gaining more support every day.

Grazyah13

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:37:35 AM

I don’t think it will ever happen. Since bitcoins goal is anonimity and ease of transaction, SEC will not approve it because they want transparency if bitcoin transactions will be transparent, I don’t think a lot of people will still use bitcoin. Afterall anonimity is the main reason why People use bitcoin.
bullishblockchain

Activity: 1

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:38:31 AM

The first crypto to get an ETF, im going all in! That would cause a huge barrier of entry to be removed!
daserpent

Activity: 140

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 11:49:53 AM

SEC is going to treat ICOs as securities so hopefully, soon a Bitcoin ETF will also be approved and legalised. That would be a huge push in the upward direction for us.
Almat

Activity: 254
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 12:08:51 PM

Not anytime soon. They're not done with their regulations on cryptocurrencies, and I expect they will be testing the waters for a while. The market isn't truly established, and until it is, they might deem it too risky.
ematt (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:10:57 AM

I would say no.The SEC will always support the fiat money system with all the banks and hedge funds.
ETF approval would mean more regulations for the bitcoin community,which is bad for the exchange platforms and the traders.We don`t need ETF approval,anyway,bitcoin is getting stronger and gaining more support every day.

I'm not sure of there reasons, but I don't think it's about supporting fiat...they look at cryptos as commodities more than like money.
erickkyut

Activity: 1176
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:18:09 AM

I think it will depend on the situation. SEC alone will never approve Bitcoin because it is not really safe to invest in Bitcoin because it is decentralized but if the government will approved and adapt it, SEC will have no choice but to do the same. Aside from that, Bitcoin is still not known worldwide, some people haven't heard of it. It should be accepted by all before SEC approved it.
tb4eva

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:41:02 AM

Just saw an article on this: https://www.investing.com/analysis/will-the-sec-approve-a-bitcoin-etf-in-2017-200217866
Nivir

Activity: 868
Merit: 506

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:55:18 AM

I don't really mind if SEC will approve Bitcoin ETF or not. They will be left behind when Japan, Australia and China are already friendly and approving Bitcoin and other crypto currencies.
krishnapramod
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1079

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 09:43:08 AM

The Winklevoss ETF was rejected by SEC on the basis that since bulk of bitcoin trading occurs in non-US markets where there is little to no regulation governing trading, no meaningful governmental market rules are in place to prevent fraudulent and manipulative acts and practices to protect investors and the public interest.

Would SEC approve a Bitcoin ETF in the future? Most probably. With China out of the equation, Japan, where Bitcoin is regulated/legalized is responsible for around 50% of trading volume, US with around 25-30% of volume and as trading volume in the US increases and other nations regulate Bitcoin, an ETF submitted by a highly centralized institution that is able to adhere with the surveillance-sharing agreements of the national securities exchange might get approved.

A Bitcoin ETF would be a game changer, horde of institutional investors would enter the Bitcoin market. Currently, in the US Bitcoin is highly regulated and as the market expands SEC would approve Bitcoin ETF to further regulate, protect investors and subsequently benefit from capital gain taxes.
TravelMug

Activity: 2702
Merit: 856

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 10:09:43 AM

If you are not aware, the SEC has reconsider and agree to a second ETF review last May. But I haven't heard anything since then and it looks like they are really taking a lot of time to review. Maybe there is a chance that it will be approved in the future. But I'm not that confident though.

I think it will depend on the situation. SEC alone will never approve Bitcoin because it is not really safe to invest in Bitcoin because it is decentralized but if the government will approved and adapt it, SEC will have no choice but to do the same. Aside from that, Bitcoin is still not known worldwide, some people haven't heard of it. It should be accepted by all before SEC approved it.

I think this the very reason why they are afraid to approved it. Bitcoin does not assure investors are safe. SEC wants to provide investors protection but how can they do it if lets' say that a entity traded outside of their domination or sovereignty? How can they take actions against them? There are so many parameters that they have to look at so I think it will get rejected again.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
btcdepo

Activity: 322

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 10:13:32 AM

That is a huge conflict I guess. SEC and crypto world. I seriously don't think that SEC will ever approve Bitcoin/crypto ETF. Phiosophies of those two is totally different, one defends anonimity another wants to control it. how possible to do it together.

The FASTEST and MOST SECURE  Token Exchange.
▬▬  ETHERSHIFT  ▬▬  No More Waiting! Main Sale Starts Nov 05, 2018.  ▬▬  ETHERSHIFT  ▬▬
WHITEPAPER | ANN | TELEGRAM | TWITTER | REDDIT | DISCORD
TheQuin

Activity: 2576
Merit: 882

Freebitco.in Support https://bit.ly/2I9BVS2

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2017, 10:22:33 AM

I am sure the SEC will eventually approve ETFs as the US will be left behind by other countries if they don't. It's already starting to happen. In Sweden, the Nasdaq Stockholm already lists what they call an ETN (Exchange Tradable Note) for BTC and yesterday they announced that they will do the same for ETH.

You can read more about it here on ZeroHedge.

freebitcoin.TO WIN A  LAMBORGHINI!..

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████████▄▄▄▄▄
                    ▄▄▄▄▄██████████████████████████████████▄▄▄▄
                    ▀██████████████████████████████████████████████▄▄▄
                    ▄▄████▄█████▄████████████████████████████▄█████▄████▄▄
                    ▀████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████▀▀▀██████████▄
                      ▀▀▀████▄▄▄███████████████████████████████▄▄▄██████████
                           ▀█████▀  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ▀█████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
                   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: