Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:29:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why has the price of Bitcoin become stable recently?  (Read 3743 times)
davidpbrown (OP)

Activity: 531
Merit: 260

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 07:28:04 PM

So we seem to have had a month of relatively stable price in BTC, obviously BTC value is growing slowly and in line with the long term trend and perhaps there is a compound and exponential ahead of us but what changed from the previous six weeks instability? Obviously, a few dash for cash investors got burned but that's not repeated in the way that it could have done.

Are there now fewer miners, more deliberate with setting a price they know will sell or some great attractor to stability? Do miners or buyers have more control over the market now or does no-one really know wtf is going on? I noticed a lot of fractional buying a selling on MtGox when they were talking of DDos; would those fractions be just miners selling and there is less of that now the difficulty has risen?

฿://12vxXHdmurFP3tpPk7bt6YrM3XPiftA82s
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 07:30:16 PM

So we seem to have had a month of relatively stable price in BTC, obviously BTC value is growing slowly and in line with the long term trend and perhaps there is a compound and exponential ahead of us but what changed from the previous six weeks instability? Obviously, a few dash for cash investors got burned but that's not repeated in the way that it could have done.

Are there now fewer miners, more deliberate with setting a price they know will sell or some great attractor to stability? Do miners or buyers have more control over the market now or does no-one really know wtf is going on? I noticed a lot of fractional buying a selling on MtGox when they were talking of DDos; would those fractions be just miners selling and there is less of that now the difficulty has risen?

Go through the history. There are many long stretches of price stability. Take a seat and relax Smiley
ThatDGuy

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:01:55 PM

Go through the history. There are many long stretches of price stability. Take a seat and relax Smiley

Interestingly enough, OP registered in 11/2010!

As for the stability, I think it's remarkable that BTC has shown so much of it considering the events that have happened during the month of May.
davidpbrown (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 08:27:18 PM

Yes, I remember when they were handing out four digit user numbers :0

wopwop

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:32:13 PM

The only thing that changed in the last month is that there is currently $9.000.000 per month of electricity wasted to keep bitcoin healthy as opposed to $6.000.000 per month 4 weeks ago

miners are going to start taking profits soon enough.. and some have been doing in the past few days as we've seen

goodluck to you if you hold bitcoins trying to make a profit

source: http://blockchain.info/stats
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:01:26 PM

2 cents from the peanut gallery:  the bubble of about 2 months ago now completed it's cycle. It came and left. What we have now is Bitcoin returning to it's performance before the bubble happened, with a return to the stability as well. Bitcoin should be about 120 - 130 right now if you follow the trend line that has being going on for over a year.

Bubble grew, then blew up, things are back to BTC normal.

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
██████████████████████████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
███████████████████████████
██████               ██████
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
████████████████████████████
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
wopwop

Activity: 252

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:03:36 PM

2 cents from the peanut gallery:  the bubble of about 2 months ago now completed it's cycle. It came and left. What we have now is Bitcoin returning to it's performance before the bubble happened, with a return to the stability as well. Bitcoin should be about 120 - 130 right now if you follow the trend line that has being going on for over a year.

15yo has spoken
glendall
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1018

Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:08:43 PM

^^^ wow thanks man. That was a really impressive contribution to this discussion. You seem really mature; are you 16?

.SUGAR.
██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
▄████████████████████████▄
███████▀▀▀██████▀▀▀███████
█████▀██████▀▀██████▀█████
█████████████████████▄████
████████▄████████▄████████
▀████████████████████████▀
▀▀████████████████████▀▀

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
██████   ▄████▀      ██████
██████▄▄▄███▀   ▄█   ██████
██████████▀   ▄███   ██████
████████▀   ▄█████▄▄▄██████
██████▀   ▄███████▀▀▀██████
██████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀   ██████
Backed By
ZetaChain

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██

██   ██
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
█████████████████▀▀  ███████
█████████████▀▀      ███████
█████████▀▀   ▄▄     ███████
█████▀▀    ▄█▀▀     ████████
█████████ █▀        ████████
█████████ █ ▄███▄   ████████
██████████████████▄▄████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
▄▄████████████████████▄▄
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
▀▀████████████████████▀▀
counter

Activity: 798

Time is on our side, yes it is!

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:09:25 PM

I think all the media exposure a positive news in the past month has really made an impression on bitcoiners.  A lot of faith has been restored since the crash with talk of building an infrastructure, new exchanges and seeing more users flock too existing exchanges and not only Mtgox.

As for the miners, I don't t know what they got planned but I suspect it will be along the lines of taking profits and maintaing the security of their investments and future profits.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 09:21:33 PM

Starting in January/February the bitcoin market went through a correction. Now the market has reached a point where it is comfortable. The price will stay about where it is now until something happens to change the equilibrium of the market.

Miners get 3600 bitcoins per day. Adding the top 10 markets from bitcoincharts.com gives a 24 h volume of about 50300 btc, or about 14 times the number of bitcoins mined. So clearly the traders have a much bigger control than the miners. (and I didn't even count the amount over OTC, which I have seen around the forum claimed is larger than MtGox.)

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:57:20 PM

Stable.
Frozenlock

Activity: 434

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:01:59 PM

You miss one step: despair.
granolageek

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:44:58 PM

You miss one step: despair.

It's too early in Bitcoin's life cycle to really despair, as long as you're only playing with money you can afford to lose. A few have already seen three zeros of appreciation. If this thing flies, there's three to six more zeroes in it. If it doesn't, pick up some alpaca socks on the way down. They rock when it's 20 below (C or F irrelevant)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:43:27 AM

The only thing that changed in the last month is that there is currently $9.000.000 per month of electricity wasted to keep bitcoin healthy as opposed to $6.000.000 per month 4 weeks ago

miners are going to start taking profits soon enough.. and some have been doing in the past few days as we've seen

Holy bipolar posts Batman!

if bitcoin fails i'll consider killing myself

i believe this is our salvation, btc must succeed

Consider killing myself seeing as I'm invested BIG in this

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:02:07 AM

Holy bipolar posts Batman!

if bitcoin fails i'll consider killing myself

i believe this is our salvation, btc must succeed

Consider killing myself seeing as I'm invested BIG in this

wopwop revealed?
maybe I shouldn't pick on him so much
 Grin
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:42:00 AM

From your source:
Electricity consumption is estimated based on power consumption of 650 Watts per gigahash and electricity price of 15 cent per kilowatt hour. In reality some miners will be more or less efficient.

I just started up 3 GH today @ under 30 watts with $0.09/kwh electricity costs.

I'd say the estimate is way off.  It was decent when GPUs were king, but that has been several years now.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
SZD

Activity: 33
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:52:08 AM

I think it has a lot to do with the trade bots buying every little price drop automatically.
SGExodus

Activity: 232
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:38:04 AM

Personally, I think the bitcoin price is still a little on the high side.

I don't think it has reached a stable equilibrium state in term of supply (3600 coins per day) and demand.   Moving forward, I think the market will face sell pressure from the miners.   

The media hype attracted many curious people to buy a few bitcoins to see what the buzz is all about.    But I don't think these demand can sustain for the next 3.5 years.

davidpbrown (OP)

Vires in Numeris

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 07:43:12 AM

Personally, I think the bitcoin price is still a little on the high side.

I don't think it has reached a stable equilibrium state in term of supply (3600 coins per day) and demand.   Moving forward, I think the market will face sell pressure from the miners.   

The media hype attracted many curious people to buy a few bitcoins to see what the buzz is all about.    But I don't think these demand can sustain for the next 3.5 years.

lol.. that only reminds me of, who was it suggesting that ~32kb was enough memory for any computer.. Bill Gates?

naphto

Activity: 392

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:34:16 PM

Lol
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: