Bitcoin Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:50:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Altcoin Airdrops actually email harvesting?  (Read 225 times)
sweetdesirez (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:28:22 PM

In the last few days, have seen a flood of Airdrops in the Altcoin Service Announcement board. What makes me wonder is, one fundamental of crypto is privacy but almost all of these so called AirDrops are asking for email id, which some are even displaying them in public spreadsheet.
Not sure if these so called coins will be worth anything, but one thing is for sure, this has opened the door for mass email harvesting Grin

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:34:34 PM

Yes I'm pretty sure some are trying to take advantage of people signing up with email adresses and other credentials.
randythered

Activity: 434
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:38:30 PM

In the last few days, have seen a flood of Airdrops in the Altcoin Service Announcement board. What makes me wonder is, one fundamental of crypto is privacy but almost all of these so called AirDrops are asking for email id, which some are even displaying them in public spreadsheet.
Not sure if these so called coins will be worth anything, but one thing is for sure, this has opened the door for mass email harvesting Grin

I think it's likely that some of them are definitely aiming to do this, I'm not sure how beneficial it will be though as most people I know of have an alternative email address for crypto related things. Not to mention the huge amounts of fake sign ups for airdrops.

Warren Buffert

Activity: 364
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 01:45:32 PM

I think it's likely that some of them are definitely aiming to do this, I'm not sure how beneficial it will be though as most people I know of have an alternative email address for crypto related things. Not to mention the huge amounts of fake sign ups for airdrops.

Yesterday I was reading one of the threads that was doing an airdrop and checked the list  lot's of gmail addresses in the list.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2017, 01:51:28 PM

there is this thing called "temporary email" which you can use. google it and you find a lot of good information about it. such as temp-mail.org you can use these "disposable" emails to sign up for stuff like this.

i also remember that some of famous email provides such as Yahoo mail offered something like this.
for example imagine your Email is sweetdesirez[at]yahoo.com, what you could do was to create something temporary such as sweetdesirez_forAirDrop[at]yahoo.com inside the same account/same inbox, and dispose it as soon as you were done with it.

--looking for signature--
thinkpad99

Activity: 654
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 02:23:52 PM

There are a lot of alternate e-mails, but they are always alert because they will not meet up with fake data, which sometimes can be misleading.
Pretty recently my friend has been a victim of fraud, so be careful who you trust!
cryptoed

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:05:30 PM

Make a air drop only email or participate in those that do not ask for it
BarkingHawk

Activity: 197
Merit: 190

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:06:23 PM

Who cares if they are, never use a personal email for these.  Just use a spare junk one you don't mind being potentially hacked and you have nothing to worry about.

Crypington

Activity: 210
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:11:57 PM

There was definitely something scammy going on with a lot of the "e" airdrops a few days ago.  I signed up for a bunch and never got anything... Said 24 hours for coin deposits.  I dont recall any asking for an email address, though.  Not sure what the point was, unless they were just trolling.

▌▌   Anonymous and Untraceable     ›› ››   DeepOnion  ‹‹ ‹‹     TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED    ▌▌
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬     ANN  Whitepaper  FACEBOOK  Twitter  Youtube  Forum     ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▌▌   ••  JOIN AIRDROP 🚀  ••  |||   Download DeepOnion   |||   ✅ Verified with DeepVault    ▌▌
leea-1334

Activity: 2226
Merit: 953

Temporary forum vacation

View Profile
October 10, 2017, 03:15:00 PM

I applied, and put in a disposable email for one. Still got my tokens. It was not a fake email, just one I opened up to use for that particular airdrop. I just checked now after seeing this post and have not seen any spam in there. I wonder if there is any use in harvesting ETH addresses, though? They are not really difficult to get since you can see all of the addresses issued tokens on the blockchain though. Maybe you are on to something, we just do not know yet.

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████░░██████████████████████████░░███████████████████
███████████████░░██████████████████████████░░█████████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████████████
█████████████████░░░░░░░░░░██░░██░░░░░░░░░░██░░███████████████
███████████████████░░░░░░██░░██████░░░░░░██░░█████████████████
█████████████████████░░░░░░██████████░░░░░░███████████████████

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀