Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:12:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: brave new world  (Read 1691 times)
pangu (OP)

Activity: 2758
Merit: 598

CoinMetro

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 08:08:16 PM

CoinMetro - Way Beyond the Best Crypto Exchange | 24/7 Live Support

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
blablahblah

Activity: 775
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:46:34 PM

Well, if 'revolutions' only changed things by 180 degrees, they would call them u-turns.
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:49:08 PM

Well, if 'revolutions' only changed things by 180 degrees, they would call them u-turns.

If I recall revolution is a 360 degree movement, then, are we supposed to in the same spot? Same situation?

If so, revolution is far from enough, we need something else.
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 12:09:54 AM

If I recall revolution is a 360 degree movement, then, are we supposed to in the same spot? Same situation?

Revolution.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
rudrigorc2
Legendary

Activity: 1064

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:21:35 AM

bingo
blablahblah

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:01:09 AM

Revolution.
bingo

Except that evolution has also brought about all the 'bad' stuff. Unless you want to blame god and creationism for all those pesky governments?
hawkeye

Activity: 364
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:07:57 PM

Evolution starts out not great but then weeds out the bad stuff over time.

eg. 
we don't have human sacrifice anymore
we don't have slavery anymore
we don't have inquisitions anymore

Government is just one more bad tradition that needs to be disposed of.
blablahblah

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:51:08 PM

eg.  

Seems to me that it's responsible governance that gets rid of slavery. Otherwise one starts getting things like:
  • Profit-driven prison systems and a breakdown of whatever justice system is supposedly in play. The lower classes get sent to prison for relatively minor infractions (the judicial process still has to look legitimate when people aren't used to slavery), where they manufacture various goods.
  • Vulnerable immigrants get conned into perpetually working off a debt that they accrued in exchange for "protection" or "insurance" while crossing the border.
Evolution brought in governments, followed by better governments, and they weeded out slavery. The gradual collapse of your US empire and its governmental structures is coinciding with a return of the things you listed.
hawkeye

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:05:04 AM

eg.  

Seems to me that it's responsible governance that gets rid of slavery. Otherwise one starts getting things like:
  • Profit-driven prison systems and a breakdown of whatever justice system is supposedly in play. The lower classes get sent to prison for relatively minor infractions (the judicial process still has to look legitimate when people aren't used to slavery), where they manufacture various goods.
  • Vulnerable immigrants get conned into perpetually working off a debt that they accrued in exchange for "protection" or "insurance" while crossing the border.
Evolution brought in governments, followed by better governments, and they weeded out slavery. The gradual collapse of your US empire and its governmental structures is coinciding with a return of the things you listed.

Government has been around, what a few thousand years now?.  Slavery abolished about 150 years ago?  Seems like government has been a big supporter of slavery for the vast majority of history.   In fact, how can you effectively have slavery if there isn't a govt police force to enforce it?

Vulnerable immigrants get conned because of the govt's attitude towards these people.  They need protection from the govt, which is looking to throw them in jail and extradite them just for wanting to be productive members of society, and have to go looking to the only people willing to offer it for a price, the criminal underworld.
hawkeye

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:08:59 AM

Oh and your profit-driven prison systems.   How are they payed for?  Through forced taxation maybe?   
pac1

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:50:07 PM

bingo
no time for games.
pac1

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:55:15 PM

Maybe everyone gets to vote! massive voting system an all major issues, lets not have a Government because that implies we need governing like inmates, What we need is an administration to get done what the voters demand.
Brave new world based on a tamper proof voting system.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:05:21 PM

Maybe everyone gets to vote! massive voting system an all major issues, lets not have a Government because that implies we need governing like inmates, What we need is an administration to get done what the voters demand.
Voting is force by proxy. If you stop assuming a monopoly, voting becomes unnecessary.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 03:16:30 PM

Voting is just a tool. Also in capitalism, there are usually shareholders that vote.

Without state-supported property rights, society would self-organize in syndicalist structures, and workers would also vote on what to do with the surplus value of their production (reinvest in their own infrastructure or into something else, or allow higher wages, or improve their children's daycare, etc).

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 10, 2013, 08:51:08 AM

Without state-supported property rights...
I don't know about you, but I don't need someone to steal from me to support my property rights. I can support them just fine on my own, and if it comes about that I do need a little help doing so, I am perfectly capable of voluntarily paying someone to help out.

Why do you assume that people who want their property rights supported would not desire that in a stateless society?

hawkeye

View Profile
June 10, 2013, 02:33:31 PM

Isn't that just the tyranny of the majority?  Who cares what 49% of people think, they should be forced to go along with what the 51% want?

God help you if you are in a minority group.

Give us an example of something that supposedly everybody in the country needs to vote on.  I doubt such a thing actually exists.
pangu (OP)

Activity: 2758
Merit: 598

CoinMetro

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:29:11 AM

Isn't that just the tyranny of the majority?  Who cares what 49% of people think, they should be forced to go along with what the 51% want?

Give us an example of something that supposedly everybody in the country needs to vote on.  I doubt such a thing actually exists.
+1

CoinMetro - Way Beyond the Best Crypto Exchange | 24/7 Live Support
countryfree
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047

Your country may be your worst enemy

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 12:45:18 PM

This is why anarchists say that the best government is the one that governs the least. With Thoreau's going as far as to say that the best government is the one that doesn't govern at all.

I used to be a citizen and a taxpayer. Those days are long gone.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
June 11, 2013, 01:02:42 PM

I don't know about you, but I don't need someone to steal from me to support my property rights. I can support them just fine on my own, and if it comes about that I do need a little help doing so, I am perfectly capable of voluntarily paying someone to help out.

Why do you assume that people who want their property rights supported would not desire that in a stateless society?

I didn't say that. But I'd say that syndicalist structures are mostly just cheaper and more economic.

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
blablahblah

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:04:10 PM

It seems you would prefer tyranny of the minority instead. The end-game of such a system would be 0.000001% being the smallest minority, and therefore the dictator, or should I say Dear Leader.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that democracies are better than dictatorships. So yeah, god help you if you want to be a dictator because I sure won't.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: