Bitcoin Forum
July 29, 2024, 12:25:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: About Wallet.dat!  (Read 849 times)
OracionSeis (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:14:12 PM

Hello, ı want to format my computer but i don't want to lose my btc what do i do with wallet.dat?

Time off to sleep ... ( ̄︶ ̄)~
orymh

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:19:19 PM

You can copy it to a USB drive or a DropBox folder temporarily. It's best to add another layer of security to it first: you can store it in a TrueCrypt encrypted volume (http://www.truecrypt.org/), or zip it with a compression tool that supports encryption (my favorite free one is ZipGenius: www.zipgenius.com).

OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:20:29 PM

You can copy it to a USB drive or a DropBox folder temporarily. It's best to add another layer of security to it first: you can store it in a TrueCrypt encrypted volume (http://www.truecrypt.org/), or zip it with a compression tool that supports encryption (my favorite free one is ZipGenius: www.zipgenius.com).

i will store the whole folder? not only wallet.dat?

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:26:32 PM

You only really need the wallet.dat backed up. That's the file that contains your addresses and key information; as long as you have that, you can always get at your Bitcoins.

If you wallet is encrypted, though, make sure you don't lose your encryption password! Without the password, an encrypted wallet.dat is useless.

OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:30:47 PM

You only really need the wallet.dat backed up. That's the file that contains your addresses and key information; as long as you have that, you can always get at your Bitcoins.

If you wallet is encrypted, though, make sure you don't lose your encryption password! Without the password, an encrypted wallet.dat is useless.

I copied my wallet.dat to another hdd.
After format i will install btcwallet and will replace the saved wallet.dat with default wallet?

zeocrash

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:32:11 PM

Send it to me, i'll look after it for you Tongue
OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:32:51 PM

Send it to me, i'll look after it for you Tongue
^

Ahahaha

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:34:39 PM

After format i will install btcwallet and will replace the saved wallet.dat with default wallet?

Yep, that should do it. Smiley

OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:36:02 PM

Thanks you so much dude ^^.

orymh

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:39:30 PM

Thanks you so much dude ^^.

You're welcome, good luck!

wallet.dat

Activity: 253
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:47:20 PM

Did somebody call?

"MOOOOOOOM! THE MEATLOAF!!! F**K!"
orymh

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 10:49:17 PM

Did somebody call?

What are you doing out in public? You're supposed to be someplace secure!  Roll Eyes

OracionSeis (OP)

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 10:52:14 PM

Did somebody call?

Hey! I have been looking for you! go to the safe HDD

zeocrash

Activity: 134

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:23:00 PM

Did somebody call?

lol
Svennisen

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:28:49 PM

Did somebody call?

Hehehe, got me a good laugh irl! Thank you.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
netzwerg

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:31:05 PM

Please note that after you replace the wallet.dat file on your new Bitcoin installation, you may need to run bitcoind --rescan in order for your wallet to work correctly.
oli123123
Legendary

Activity: 1445
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:20:22 PM

Did somebody call?

lol
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: