Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 06:36:17 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: X-Roll-Ntime extension  (Read 5010 times)
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary
expert

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
June 25, 2011, 09:08:24 PM

As far as I know, the actual value of the X-Roll-Ntime header is presently undefined. I would like to suggest that if it contains expire=N, then the work is valid for up to N seconds. This can allow miners to know precisely when to give up on it and get new work.

Thoughts?

The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 03:20:12 AM

As far as I know, the actual value of the X-Roll-Ntime header is presently undefined. I would like to suggest that if it contains expire=N, then the work is valid for up to N seconds. This can allow miners to know precisely when to give up on it and get new work.
Thoughts?

N seconds or ntime incremented by N?

Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary
expert

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:30:46 AM

Thoughts?
N seconds or ntime incremented by N?
There shouldn't be a difference...

fpgaminer

Activity: 560
Merit: 517

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 07:25:34 AM

This can allow miners to know precisely when to give up on it and get new work.
How would the pool provide a sane value, since it doesn't know when the next block will be found?

gmaxwell
Legendary
expert

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8343

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 07:29:46 AM

How would the pool provide a sane value, since it doesn't know when the next block will be found?

Long polling, of course. The pool knows how old a block header its willing to accept, which is what this is useful for.

JoelKatz
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1012

Democracy is vulnerable to a 51% attack.

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 10:53:14 AM

The pool operator will choose a sane value, or a sane algorithm based upon the difficulty.

I am an employee of Ripple. Follow me on Twitter @JoelKatz
1Joe1Katzci1rFcsr9HH7SLuHVnDy2aihZ BM-NBM3FRExVJSJJamV9ccgyWvQfratUHgN
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary
expert

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:10:48 PM

Due to network latency, I recommend the following design for miners:
1. getwork, record <duration of getwork request> and <time+getwork expire> , and begin mining on it
2. every second, update ntime and reset nonce to <first nonce>
3. when a share is found, submit it. record the duration of the submit request.
4. if a share submission fails due to a network error, save the share and retry it a second later the same as step 3; also immediately (regardless of how long the current work has been active) begin trying to get new work (which is treated the same as step 5+6 when done)
5. when current time is past <time@1+getwork expire> minus <duration of longest getwork/submit since we started this work> times 4, begin a request for new work
6. when new work arrives, discard old work and begin using the new work.

vector76

Activity: 70
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:48:41 PM

Due to network latency, I recommend the following design for miners:
1. getwork, record <duration of getwork request> and <time+getwork expire> , and begin mining on it
2. every second, update ntime and reset nonce to <first nonce>
3. when a share is found, submit it. record the duration of the submit request.
4. if a share submission fails due to a network error, save the share and retry it a second later the same as step 3; also immediately (regardless of how long the current work has been active) begin trying to get new work (which is treated the same as step 5+6 when done)
5. when current time is past <time@1+getwork expire> minus <duration of longest getwork/submit since we started this work> times 4, begin a request for new work
6. when new work arrives, discard old work and begin using the new work.

If I understand this correctly, rather than waiting until the exact getwork expire deadline, you are getting new work a little bit early, based on how long the getwork/submit request takes?  So for example if getwork takes at most 5 seconds you get new work 20 seconds before the current work expires, to avoid submitting expired shares.

What about just a fixed percentage or a fixed duration?  I might worry that this scheme could have unintended side-effects.  If server load increases lagginess, it could be self-reinforcing if it increases the chances that the miners will decide to refresh their work.  What might have been randomly spread out over time could become concentrated and bursty.  I am visualizing sand dunes but I can't connect it with words.
Luke-Jr (OP)
Legendary
expert

View Profile
July 15, 2011, 08:54:08 PM

If I understand this correctly, rather than waiting until the exact getwork expire deadline, you are getting new work a little bit early, based on how long the getwork/submit request takes?  So for example if getwork takes at most 5 seconds you get new work 20 seconds before the current work expires, to avoid submitting expired shares.
Correct.
What about just a fixed percentage or a fixed duration?  I might worry that this scheme could have unintended side-effects.  If server load increases lagginess, it could be self-reinforcing if it increases the chances that the miners will decide to refresh their work.  What might have been randomly spread out over time could become concentrated and bursty.  I am visualizing sand dunes but I can't connect it with words.
I don't think there is any way to avoid this potential problem. Surely you don't want to suggest miners do stale work? A fixed percentage/duration would not adapt well to the many different network links/distances that can affect latency.

vector76

Activity: 70
Merit: 18

View Profile
July 16, 2011, 01:31:23 PM

Not a big deal.  I guess if it becomes a problem the pool can dither N.  Which they would probably want to do anyway to avoid a spike exactly N seconds after a new block.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: