Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:32:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [LTC] Litecoin = ASIC resistant is a lie!  (Read 2978 times)
TheSwede75

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 02:37:58 AM

Just finished reading all the posts here and I'm left with one question: What was the point of this thread again? I'm pretty new here and this is not even the first time I've seen this subject posted in the last little while.

I can't see the point as well. It seems some people can't use search...

Exactly, and no one has ever denied the possibility or plausibility of such machines, just the practicality of the implementation of same. There's a ton of stuff that's 'possible' but not financially viable. For instance, I could go out and spend all of my cash and savings on lottery tickets and possibly win, and even have a better chance than if I never spent anything. That does not make it a financially viable decision though.

OF COURSE no hash is FPGA or even ASIC resistant. It's just impractical and costly with the current gen technology. There are several DYI and company projects working on SCRYPT FPGA right now, and sooner or later it will be available. The whole POINT of developing a new coins is that you do if on the premise of working and available technology. Hell, when bitcoin came out it was 'GPU Proof' until the first person realized how to do it, and do it well.
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
milly6
Legendary

Activity: 1632
Merit: 1010

View Profile WWW
June 12, 2013, 02:45:05 AM

Yes, Litecoin ASICs do not exist yet, but are not harder (or  costlier) to build than any Bitcoin ASIC. It's just a different hashing algorithm!

Scrypt has different parameters than SHA256, but those obstacles should be easily tackled.

really this old arguement again.  scrypt is sha256.  scrypt does a salsa20 8 times mix backwards and forwards, it makes the lookup tables difficult to predict.  you need to load it all into memory to hash it.  it requires a lot of on die memory to load the tables into.  there are no fpga boards on the market that have that much on die ram.  it would cost a fortune to develop.  with most scrypt coins having low value and low liquidity there is not incentive for an investor to deploy the several million it would take to build an fpga or asic just so that can make a few hundred grand.  they woould be competing with GPUs manufacturers which have already invented the wheel.

correction: there are no asic baords with memory enough for scrypt
fpga is right around the corner and the boards already exist

Eyes open, No Fear. Be Safe! Trinity: Currency Without Bias
devilfish

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 12, 2013, 05:33:32 AM

Just finished reading all the posts here and I'm left with one question: What was the point of this thread again? I'm pretty new here and this is not even the first time I've seen this subject posted in the last little while.

I can't see the point as well. It seems some people can't use search...

Exactly, and no one has ever denied the possibility or plausibility of such machines, just the practicality of the implementation of same. There's a ton of stuff that's 'possible' but not financially viable. For instance, I could go out and spend all of my cash and savings on lottery tickets and possibly win, and even have a better chance than if I never spent anything. That does not make it a financially viable decision though.

OF COURSE no hash is FPGA or even ASIC resistant. It's just impractical and costly with the current gen technology. There are several DYI and company projects working on SCRYPT FPGA right now, and sooner or later it will be available. The whole POINT of developing a new coins is that you do if on the premise of working and available technology. Hell, when bitcoin came out it was 'GPU Proof' until the first person realized how to do it, and do it well.

Ok and... I can't really see what you added to my previous post regarding that it was of course possible, just not practical at this current point to warrant anyone with serious funds putting a significant financial investment into.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: