Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:18:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How much is uBTC?  (Read 16036 times)
BitCoinPokerBro (OP)

Activity: 826
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:29:12 PM

I'm new to bitcoin so when I decided to try and earn a few bitcoin online several places offer 10 or 8 uBTC for viewing websites ect. After a little google searching I was able to find info about mBTC but not uBTC. So inotherwords no help from google. Can anyone help me out?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Svennisen

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:33:24 PM

Sure it wasnt µ?

Difference. u and µ.

µ is and greek char and it stand for micro.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
Svennisen

Activity: 125

View Profile
June 04, 2013, 11:35:21 PM

that is.

1mBtc is 0.001 Btc
1µBtc is 0.000001 Btc

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
scintill

Activity: 448
Merit: 254

View Profile WWW
June 04, 2013, 11:42:31 PM

And this is why all these re-denominating ideas are stupid, at least until every Bitcoin user understands SI prefixes.  And even if you do understand them, it's annoying to look at the prefix and mentally move decimal places around.

1SCiN5kqkAbxxwesKMsH9GvyWnWP5YK2W | donations
spike420211

Activity: 1610
Merit: 372

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 12:04:36 AM

And this is why all these re-denominating ideas are stupid, at least until every Bitcoin user understands SI prefixes.  And even if you do understand them, it's annoying to look at the prefix and mentally move decimal places around.
We'll protect u from the metric system. We promise.
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:17:52 AM

- snip -
I decided to try and earn a few bitcoin online several places offer 10 or 8 uBTC for viewing websites ect.
- snip -

No!  Stay away!  You will regret this.

The bitcoin network will refuse to relay transactions that have a payment of less than 0.01 BTC unless you pay a transaction fee of at least 0.0001 BTC (that's 100 µBtc) per kilobyte.

Each of these tiny "dust" coins your are receiving will take up a bit less than 200 bytes in a transaction when you go to send bitcoins somewhere else later.

So lets say you are collecting 10 "free µBtc" for each visit to the website.  Lets say you visit the website 20 times.  You now have 200 µBtc, but if you try to send it anywhere, you'll end up with a transaction nearly 4 kilobytes in size.  You'll have to pay a fee of 400 µBtc just to send your 200 µBtc somewhere!  You'll spend all your µBtc on transaction fees and there won't be anything left to actually send!

These "free µBtc" websites prey on those who don't understand how bitcoin works.  They "pay" you with amounts they know you'll never be able to spend.  They know that having these tiny transactions in your wallet will force you to pay significant fees later when you go to use the coins.  They make money off your visit by charging advertisers for placing an add in front of your eyeballs, and then toss you a few shavings of copper off the edge of a penny.  They don't care that you will have a bad experience later, they've already milked you for all the profit they can by then.

theBee2112

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:27:53 AM

^^ What he said.

I tried these sites religiously for a week. Got my wallet up to 0.01 BTC. Went to spend it, and couldn't, simply because it cost 0.0045BTC to spend. So sure, it MIGHT be worth it, if 50 cents is worth all of that time.
BitCoinPokerBro (OP)

Activity: 826

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:41:54 AM

Thank you everyone for the great informative replies
iram9091

Activity: 5

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 03:19:33 PM

Thats simply 1 million part of 1 bitcoin.
dmatthewstewart

Activity: 439
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 09, 2013, 10:12:29 PM

- snip -
I decided to try and earn a few bitcoin online several places offer 10 or 8 uBTC for viewing websites ect.
- snip -

No!  Stay away!  You will regret this.

The bitcoin network will refuse to relay transactions that have a payment of less than 0.01 BTC unless you pay a transaction fee of at least 0.0001 BTC (that's 100 µBtc) per kilobyte.

Each of these tiny "dust" coins your are receiving will take up a bit less than 200 bytes in a transaction when you go to send bitcoins somewhere else later.

So lets say you are collecting 10 "free µBtc" for each visit to the website.  Lets say you visit the website 20 times.  You now have 200 µBtc, but if you try to send it anywhere, you'll end up with a transaction nearly 4 kilobytes in size.  You'll have to pay a fee of 400 µBtc just to send your 200 µBtc somewhere!  You'll spend all your µBtc on transaction fees and there won't be anything left to actually send!

These "free µBtc" websites prey on those who don't understand how bitcoin works.  They "pay" you with amounts they know you'll never be able to spend.  They know that having these tiny transactions in your wallet will force you to pay significant fees later when you go to use the coins.  They make money off your visit by charging advertisers for placing an add in front of your eyeballs, and then toss you a few shavings of copper off the edge of a penny.  They don't care that you will have a bad experience later, they've already milked you for all the profit they can by then.

These few paragraphs should appear on every post that asks about "free btc" sites for tasks. Way too many advertise "free btc" but pay in uBTC and, like he stated, hardly ever generate enough activity for a payout. It is the new "Earn money from your computer for doing nothing!" type ads that plagued our precious tubes since the late 90's. I dont understand why we can't just have our series of tubes without stupid interferences. This is why we cant have nice things.

galbros
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 02:54:30 AM

- snip -
- snip -

No!  Stay away!  You will regret this.

So lets say you are collecting 10 "free µBtc" for each visit to the website.  Lets say you visit the website 20 times.  You now have 200 µBtc, but if you try to send it anywhere, you'll end up with a transaction nearly 4 kilobytes in size.  You'll have to pay a fee of 400 µBtc just to send your 200 µBtc somewhere!  You'll spend all your µBtc on transaction fees and there won't be anything left to actually send!

These "free µBtc" websites prey on those who don't understand how bitcoin works.  They "pay" you with amounts they know you'll never be able to spend.  They know that having these tiny transactions in your wallet will force you to pay significant fees later when you go to use the coins.  They make money off your visit by charging advertisers for placing an add in front of your eyeballs, and then toss you a few shavings of copper off the edge of a penny.  They don't care that you will have a bad experience later, they've already milked you for all the profit they can by then.

These few paragraphs should appear on every post that asks about "free btc" sites for tasks. Way too many advertise "free btc" but pay in uBTC and, like he stated, hardly ever generate enough activity for a payout. It is the new "Earn money from your computer for doing nothing!" type ads that plagued our precious tubes since the late 90's. I dont understand why we can't just have our series of tubes without stupid interferences. This is why we cant have nice things.

This is really good advice.  However, with faucets what I've done is simply send it directly to the "end use" site, e.g. send the few thousand satoshi directly where I want them, peerbet, Mt Gox or whatever.  This has worked well. 

In addition, most of the good faucet sites, like dailybitcoins allows you to hold your accrued earnings until you want to cash them out.  Finally, some faucets are adding alternative payout options like inputs.io and others that allow off blockchain transactions and avoid this very real problem.

Regarding your original post, I've given up on u and m BTC and just think in satoshi now!  Good Luck!
wayneyoyo

Activity: 606
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 02:57:35 AM

1BTC = 100 mBtc
1mBtc = 0.001 Btc
1µBtc i= 0.000001 Btc
michagogo

Activity: 80
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 08:01:48 AM

1BTC = 100 mBtc

You're missing a zero there -- it's 1,000 mBTC.
DodoB

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:09:28 AM

pepole still use uBtc? its a stupid way to count bitcoins dont use it.
hoewer4what

Activity: 173

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:22:24 AM

I hate using µBtc, not worth.
Using mBtc is better, it have some value  Smiley
golikcoin
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

you can check all units here

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Units

Cool

▄████▄
         ▄████████▄
       ▄████████████▄
     ▄████████████████▄
    ████████████████████      ▄█▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄███▄                 ▄████████████████▀   ▄██████████

▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄▄▀█████▀▄▄▄     ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀ ▀██▄             ▄██▀                   ██
▄█████▄▀▀▀▄██████▄▀▀▀▄█████▄     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀     ▀██▄         ▄██▀        ▄█▄          ▀██████████████▄
████████████████████████████       ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀         ▀██▄     ▄██▀          ▀█▀                        ██
 ▀████████████████████████▀          ▀██▄ ▄██▀             ▀██▄ ▄██▀     ▄█▄     ▀██▄ ▄██▀                                       ██
   ▀████████████████████▀              ▀███▀                 ▀███▀       ▀█▀       ▀███▀      ▄███████████████████████████████████▀
     ▀████████████████▀
       ▀████████████▀
         ▀████████▀
           ▀████▀
║║

║║

║║
██
║║

║║
██
║║
║║

║║
Zakryze

Activity: 308
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 09:40:20 AM

- snip -
- snip -

No!  Stay away!  You will regret this.

So lets say you are collecting 10 "free µBtc" for each visit to the website.  Lets say you visit the website 20 times.  You now have 200 µBtc, but if you try to send it anywhere, you'll end up with a transaction nearly 4 kilobytes in size.  You'll have to pay a fee of 400 µBtc just to send your 200 µBtc somewhere!  You'll spend all your µBtc on transaction fees and there won't be anything left to actually send!

These "free µBtc" websites prey on those who don't understand how bitcoin works.  They "pay" you with amounts they know you'll never be able to spend.  They know that having these tiny transactions in your wallet will force you to pay significant fees later when you go to use the coins.  They make money off your visit by charging advertisers for placing an add in front of your eyeballs, and then toss you a few shavings of copper off the edge of a penny.  They don't care that you will have a bad experience later, they've already milked you for all the profit they can by then.

That depends on how you use those sites. You could still transfer your funds  to peerbet or other sites and withdraw once its big enough. Those sites use cold storages and mixed wallets. Another way to use thise in a good way would be transferring it directly to a page where you can use it like btct.co was one. Once you got enough satoshis you buy shares for example or adspace. Just be creative!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
PRIMEDICE
The Premier Bitcoin Gambling Experience @PrimeDice
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

SNttx1hwtpf8TQEK7ZBojcvQrDmBaz9QPK SFC Addy
fattypig

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 11:59:30 AM

0.000001 BTC

wdu

Activity: 19

View Profile
October 10, 2013, 12:18:29 PM

this is good information about how sites pay you - thanks guys.
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
October 10, 2013, 12:22:33 PM

"not worth making a thread about"

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: