Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:25:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: October fork and wallet questions  (Read 681 times)
BitTitor (OP)

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 06:37:57 AM

Hi, apologies if this has already been asked .. I saw a few topics explaining a bit but I am still confused.

I have a little bit of money in bitcoin.. on Coinspot.. Is the Bitcoin Address my bitcoin key?? I assume it is.. but I am wondering why we need to put it in a wallet even tho I believe Coinspot will give out Bitcoin Gold after the fork? I do have a blockchain.info account... should I put all my bitcoin in there before the fork? Will that site automatically give Bitcoin Gold ? Clearly I'm a bit new to all this.. but any light you can shed on this would be helpful.

Thanks..

John Titor

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mensa84

Activity: 184
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:18:59 AM

Hi, apologies if this has already been asked .. I saw a few topics explaining a bit but I am still confused.

I have a little bit of money in bitcoin.. on Coinspot.. Is the Bitcoin Address my bitcoin key?? I assume it is.. but I am wondering why we need to put it in a wallet even tho I believe Coinspot will give out Bitcoin Gold after the fork? I do have a blockchain.info account... should I put all my bitcoin in there before the fork? Will that site automatically give Bitcoin Gold ? Clearly I'm a bit new to all this.. but any light you can shed on this would be helpful.

Thanks..

John Titor

I do not know anything about Coinspot. But blockchain.info enrolled all Bitcoin Cash, so if the fork happens then blockchain.info will pay you BitcoinFork. Only you have to wait a couple of weeks until the new fork starts accepting transactions normally.

⚡⚡ PRiVCY ⚡⚡   ▂▃▅▆█ PRiVCY (PRIV) is a new PoW/PoS revolutionary privacy project  ☞ Best privacy crypto-market! █▆▅▃▂
    Own Your Privacy! ───────────────── WebsiteGithub  |  Bitcointalk  |  Twitter  |  Discord  |  Explorer ─────────────────
   ✯✯✯✯✯                 ✈✈✈[Free Airdrop - Starts 9th June][Tor]✈✈✈ ║───────────║ Wallet ➢ Windows  |  macOS  |  Linux
BillyBobZorton
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1028

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 12:24:23 PM

Thanks..

John Titor

You should own your own private keys. If you are trusting some service in doing what they are saying, you are going to be sorry. These services are known to change their word out of nowhere. Trust no one but yourself, so get a full node to have 100% control of your BTC (www.bitcoin.org, download a full node today). If you don't want to... at least get an Electrum wallet, it's definitely better than having them on some webpage.
BitcoinFrik

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 03:15:46 PM

Thanks..

John Titor

You should own your own private keys. If you are trusting some service in doing what they are saying, you are going to be sorry. These services are known to change their word out of nowhere. Trust no one but yourself, so get a full node to have 100% control of your BTC (www.bitcoin.org, download a full node today). If you don't want to... at least get an Electrum wallet, it's definitely better than having them on some webpage.

What do you think about keeping the coins in Bittrex? Is it safe or should I go download wallets on my pc?
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 08:17:10 PM

What do you think about keeping the coins in Bittrex? Is it safe or should I go download wallets on my pc?

Nothing other then your own wallet is safe, remember that. You should always download your own wallet, there is no reason not to. It completely misses the whole point of Bitcoin if you don't have a local wallet, you gain to benefit from Bitcoin's security nor privacy.

If you really need to trade on these centralized exchanges, then fine, do the trade and get your funds out. These exchanges were hacked multiple times and they will get hacked again, it is just a matter of time.
BitTitor (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 07:53:35 AM

Thanks for all the advice...

If my bitcoin is safe in a personal wallet,  will the Bitcoin Gold coins still appear in it post-fork...?

Maxplayer14

Activity: 36

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 07:56:56 AM

it will depend on how thee answers come up in the month of October. Apparently its about  the month of October the fork and wallets are about right?.
ranochigo
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 4127

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 07:58:07 AM

If my bitcoin is safe in a personal wallet,  will the Bitcoin Gold coins still appear in it post-fork...?
Yes. The amount of Bitcoins you have and the transactions that you have ever conducted on the Bitcoin Blockchain will be the same as the Bitcoin Gold Blockchain, up till the point of fork. To spend Bitcoin Gold, you have to download the Bitcoin Gold client to spend it, you can't spend it on a Bitcoin client.

..JAMBLER.io..Create Your Bitcoin Mixing
Business Now for   F R E E 
▄█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████▀████████████████████
███▀█████▄█▀███▀▀▀██████
██▀█████▄█▄██████████████
██▄▄████▀▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄██████
█████▄▄▄██████████▀▄████
█████▀▄█▄██████▀█▄█████
███████▀▄█▀█▄██▀█▄███████
█████████▄█▀▄█▀▄█████████
▀█████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████
      OUR      
PARTNERS

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
▄█████████████████████████████
████████▀▀█████▀▀████████
█████▀█████████████▀█████
████████████████████████
███████████████▄█████████
███████████████▀█████████
████████████████████████
█████▄█████████████▄█████
████████▄▄█████▄▄████████
▀█████████████████████████████
   INVEST   
BITCOIN

████▄
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
████▀
BitTitor (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 08:06:05 AM

Ok.. thanks.. I guess I will download this and then transfer my Bitcoin Gold into that from my personal wallet in order to hold or sell them?
TheUltraElite
Legendary

Activity: 2828
Merit: 1213

Dont be a ShitcoInfluencer for quick bux, it sucks

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2017, 08:24:17 AM
Last edit: October 12, 2017, 08:59:24 AM by TheUltraElite

Thanks..

John Titor

My suggestions to everyone during the fork processing is to keep the bitcoin in a wallet where the private keys are owned by you and not some other third party. Currently if you are doing that then the forked coins are your to keep forever. But if it is an exchange no one can guarantee that after forking the coins will be given to you. Exchanges are known to make money from mistakes of people and though many may claim that they will support both chains its better to be safe than sorry. Get a desktop/Android wallet and transfer the fund there.

EDIT: I suggest Electrum for a desktop wallet.

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT
  CRYPTO   
FUTURES
 1,000x 
LEVERAGE
COMPETITIVE
    FEES    
 INSTANT 
EXECUTION
   TRADE NOW   
BitTitor (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 08:53:11 AM

Thank you.. what is the best desktop wallet that you recommend for BTC pre-fork?
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: