Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:10:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: customer experience for purchases with Bitcoin  (Read 2482 times)
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

Activity: 447
Merit: 258

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 04:51:03 AM

A client recently approved me to add Bitcoin as a payment method to his online store.  It's not a paid gig, just a hobby project and the client's willing to support Bitcoin by accepting payment if I contribute the code.  Anyway, his servers will be running a Bitcoin node and handling payments locally, so I won't be using MyBitcoin's SCI in this project.  I'm currently sketching out the customer experience.  I imagine it going something like this:

• Customer chooses Bitcoin payment on the shopping cart confirmation page
  • Site presents the BTC price and a shipping address form
  • Customer fills in his shipping address and submits the form
  • Site presents a Bitcoin address to which to send payment
  • This page shows a throbber saying "Awaiting payment..."
  • As soon as the payment arrives, the throbber disappears
  • The customer is taken to a "Thank You" page with his order number and details about order tracking

Are there shopping sites with a better flow than this?  Is there a way you've always wanted to see Bitcoin shopping operate that I might be able to implement here?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
The Madhatter

Activity: 490
Merit: 509

My avatar pic says it all

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 04:58:17 AM

Why reinvent the wheel? Mybitcoin's SCI does all of that. I'd just use the local bitcoind to receive the forwarded coins from Mybitcoin.

In fact, that's exactly how I handle commerce on my sites. It works flawlessly.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 04:58:59 AM

Perhaps instead of a throbber, the customer could just get an e-mail upon confirmation of the transaction, signifying the commencement of the product delivery. Why sit around waiting at a confirmation screen?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 05:15:50 AM

+1 on mybitcoin SCI.

The documentation is non-existent, but it works reliably, and works in the expected manner (like other SCI's such as Liberty Reserve or Pecunix).

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 03:11:43 PM

Why reinvent the wheel? Mybitcoin's SCI does all of that.

Good question.  Short answer: one learns a lot by reinventing wheels.  I definitely don't want to discredit MyBitcoin, which is an excellent service.  I may even use it on future projects.  However, for the first project, I'd rather code against bitcoind's JSON interface directly.  It leaves all components of transaction processing under my control where I'm more likely to learn about Bitcoin and how the client and the network work.
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 03:17:29 PM

Perhaps instead of a throbber, the customer could just get an e-mail upon confirmation of the transaction, signifying the commencement of the product delivery. Why sit around waiting at a confirmation screen?

In my tests, transactions usually come through the Bitcoin network in less than 10 seconds.  Does that seem too long to wait? I won't make customers wait around for confirmation blocks to build up.  When shipping physical goods, there's plenty of time for that to happen while packing the order.  If there's a double-spend, the order can be canceled before it's shipped.

The throbber seemed like a faster way to provide initial payment feedback than just an email.  I imagine it like the brief screens you see when paying with a credit card: "Processing your payment..."  There will also be a payment received email, which this particular client already sends out for all orders, regardless of payment method.
FatherMcGruder

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 14, 2010, 04:53:53 PM

I won't make customers wait around for confirmation blocks to build up.
That makes more sense. What about buyers who don't pay transaction fees. Any risk that they might get held up for too long at the throbber?

Use my Trade Hill referral code: TH-R11519

Check out bitcoinity.org and Ripple.

Shameless display of my bitcoin address:
1Hio4bqPUZnhr2SWi4WgsnVU1ph3EkusvH
mndrix (OP)
Michael Hendricks
VIP

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 07:30:11 PM

What about buyers who don't pay transaction fees. Any risk that they might get held up for too long at the throbber?

As I understand the protocol, transactions are broadcast through the network without regard for transaction fees.  The fees are only considered when transactions are bundled into blocks.  The wiki article about transaction fees doesn't say explicitly, though.  I assume customers would still get a quick throbber response even without a transaction fee.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 08:27:10 PM

What about buyers who don't pay transaction fees. Any risk that they might get held up for too long at the throbber?

As I understand the protocol, transactions are broadcast through the network without regard for transaction fees.

correct

I assume customers would still get a quick throbber response even without a transaction fee.

It is possible for a client to check that a transaction is valid independently, but it's  impossible to eliminate the risks of a double spend without waiting for comfirmations.  It's possible to reduce such risks without the blockchain, however, by scanning the transaction queue for attempted double spends for a couple seconds before approving the transaction; but the clients can't yet do this, AFAIK.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Waterfox

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 09:24:44 PM

A wiki, a knowledge base or at least a documentation page would make MyBitcoin SCI much easier to set up and more popular.
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5194
Merit: 12974

View Profile
December 14, 2010, 11:00:15 PM

As I understand the protocol, transactions are broadcast through the network without regard for transaction fees.

This was changed in 0.3.19. Transactions are no longer relayed if they don't have enough fee according to the client doing the relaying.

Clients older than 0.3.17 will actually send transactions that will be rejected for relaying by new clients. So if you're sending big transactions, make sure you're using the latest version...

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
TraderStat

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2022, 09:07:23 AM

A client recently approved me to add Bitcoin as a payment method to his online store.  It's not a paid gig, just a hobby project and the client's willing to support Bitcoin by accepting payment if I contribute the code.  Anyway, his servers will be running a Bitcoin node and handling payments locally, so I won't be using MyBitcoin's SCI in this project.  I'm currently sketching out the customer experience.  I imagine it going something like this:

• Customer chooses Bitcoin payment on the shopping cart confirmation page
  • Site presents the BTC price and a shipping address form
  • Customer fills in his shipping address and submits the form
  • Site presents a Bitcoin address to which to send payment
  • This page shows a throbber saying "Awaiting payment..."
  • As soon as the payment arrives, the throbber disappears
  • The customer is taken to a "Thank You" page with his order number and details about order tracking

Are there shopping sites with a better flow than this?  Is there a way you've always wanted to see Bitcoin shopping operate that I might be able to implement here?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.
The most convenient design for paying with Bitcoin was when I walked into an antiques store  Grin Just transfer by wallet) But I hope that soon there will be more online stores that accept BTC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: