Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:10:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013-06-04 infoworld.com - Don't trust anonymous e-currencies like Bitcoin  (Read 1382 times)
Roger_Murdock (OP)

Activity: 342
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:28:49 AM

http://www.infoworld.com/d/security/dont-trust-anonymous-e-currencies-bitcoin-219932?page=0,0#disqus_thread

The case against e-curriences
So why don't I trust e-currencies? For the following reasons:

Traditional currencies are backed by nation-states and regulated financial industries, and as much as you might hate or distrust those entities, they have staying power. In my nearly 30 years on the Internet, I've seen e-currencies come and go. When they go, everyone immediately loses everything. Just ask Liberty Reserve's customers.

Nation-states have laws, police, and armies. Those laws make the fiat currency legal. People in those systems accept the their currency. No one in the real world has to accept your e-currency or rock with a hole in it. If someone steals your real currency, the police will at least try and help you get it back. In cases of online theft, you may have a hard time getting a law enforcement authority to determine if a crime has happened. Even then, it's often only because the intangible online value could be immediately traced back to real money. For example, if you tell the police someone stole your gaming points, you'll have a harder time proving a crime occurred if you earned them during the game than if you purchased them with your credit card.

Let's not forget nation-state armies. Ultimately, those armies protect the treasures of countries. If they didn't, another country could bust into your country, take the money, and walk away with it. I don't know of an army willing to send a soldier to recover a stolen Bitcoin.

The safety net
You don't even need nation-state armies to get back your stolen money. In most industrialized nations, if you can prove that a malicious hacker stole your money, the bank will often put the money right back. For example, some bad guys broke into a friend's stock account and stole more than $50,000. He notified the stock trading company where he had his account, and in a few minutes, the money was back. The entities that put your money back don't even require you to work too hard to prove your money was stolen. It's a cost of doing business, and they're ready to help get back what you lost. Try that with your e-currency. In almost every case, if your e-currency is stolen, it will be gone for ever.

In the real world, if you lose your credit card, checkbook, or even bank account log-on password, your money isn't gone. In fact there are lots of services and laws to protect you and your money. Not so in the e-currency world -- check out a statement posted on a Bitcoin Wiki Faq regarding the potential loss of Bitcoins: "Consider it a donation to all other bitcoin users."

Ultimately, most e-currencies possess the security of whatever your email address and password is. If hackers break into your computer, learn your password -- or even break in and steal all your money at the bank -- it will be replaced fairly quickly. This is absolutely not true of e-currency sites.

I'm not saying that e-currency schemes are evil. And I'm not saying fiat money is perfectly trusted or protected -- the runaway inflation that led to wheelbarrows of money being exchanged in Weimar Germany come to mind. I'm just saying that by comparison, over the long run, there is no comparison. The trust equation isn't even close.

The perfect e-currency would be one that is widely accepted, where I'm protected against malicious loss -- by armies, law enforcement, or the fiduciary entity creating it. Oh, yeah, I already have that. It's called real money.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:34:46 AM

Extremely shallow analysis.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:31:55 AM

It's funny how two people generally equal in many ways can look at Bitcoin and form opinions that are polar opposites of each other.

One sees that the government has no control over Bitcoin and is all over it.   Then you have people like the author of that article, who run away from Bitcoin for that very same reason.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:50:26 AM

Traditional currencies are backed by nation-states and regulated financial industries

Not gonna lie, I stopped reading here.  This guy's been sipping on some sour kool-aid, but for some odd reason, refuses to put it down.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 08:03:32 AM

I don't know why but the image of an adult kid, still in nappies, sucking on a pacifier clutching a mythical security blanket just jumped into my head.

Rygon

Activity: 520
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:50:24 AM

We send our troops to recover stolen cash? That's new to me. I thought the official policy was to drop it on them in pallets: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/feb/08/usa.iraq1
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:48:48 PM

He's very fond of nation-state armies. I am not, as a pragmatic matter, even ignoring moral issues. Most people lose when nation-state armies do their thing, and maintaining them is a huge high-risk overhead, as the American founding fathers wisely noted when they explicitly advised against keeping standing armies.

He believes that nation states and their armies have staying power. Woot! Ozymandias moment.

He claims that fiat is good because people are coerced to use it and that BTC is bad because using it is voluntary. Woot! 1984 moment.

He likes fiat because it's not like fiat - in his world, when you lose fiat somebody gives it back to you. Odd - in my world the nation-state takes it away from me, half now through taxation and the rest later through inflation, and if I lose my wallet full of fiat it's gone forever. The nation state urges (compels?) me always to go back for more though with its clever "full employment" meme which some might call voluntary lifetime servitude.

I imagine we can expect to see a lot of pro-state anti-BTC propaganda pieces as all this heats up. There will be more FUD than facts - gotta figure out veridical reality for oneself, as always, or suffer the consequences.

linuxer

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

Official Troll of bitcointalk,Certified by John K.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 01:59:43 PM

It's funny how two people generally equal in many ways can look at Bitcoin and form opinions that are polar opposites of each other.

One sees that the government has no control over Bitcoin and is all over it.   Then you have people like the author of that article, who run away from Bitcoin for that very same reason.

No one have control over bitcoin and it's prices.  That's good and bad too
Any crazy billionaire can make you begger in no time. He just need to buy some million bitcoins and sell them after people go crazy and prices goes super high.
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:10:43 PM

Any crazy billionaire can make you begger in no time. He just need to buy some million bitcoins and sell them after people go crazy and prices goes super high.

it's also a great way for him to quickly become a millionaire.
aigeezer
Legendary

Activity: 1450
Merit: 1013

Cryptanalyst castrated by his government, 1952

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:30:15 PM

it's also a great way for him to quickly become a millionaire.

For some entities, that kind of loss might be worthwhile - money well spent. For example, hypothetically, a hostile-to-BTC government entity might choose to squander a lot of (public) money on such a venture. It's not like it's their own money. "Rational behavior" is all too subjective in everyday life. "I thought he had a gun, your honor."
Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 02:35:11 PM

Brb, taking my bitcoins out of the BitCorp server before the gubermint shuts it down with its army.
elux
Legendary

Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:09:34 PM
Last edit: June 05, 2013, 04:36:45 PM by elux

Quote from: Infoworld - Don't trust anonymous e-currencies like Bitcoin
... A Pulitzer Prize-winning economist has voiced his opinion on Bitcoin ...

Opinions on Krugman aside, a Pulitzer winner he is not.

Krugman was a Pulitzer nominee in 2009. He never won it.

Krugman was awarded the 2004 Príncipe de Asturias award.

Which is "understood to be the European Pulitzer Prize".

(Well, according to paulkrugman.com)

The distinction must have escaped the journalist.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:14:57 PM

Yet another statist that worships violence to maintain economic order.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 04:32:06 PM

Failometer is over 9000  Shocked

TraderTimm
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1121

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:05:11 PM

This is precisely the dinosaur that we'll be marvelling at in the financial museum of past failures, when they open up their "Sovereign Apologist" Exhibit.

The wake-up call this guy is going to get when Bitcoin kicks down the feeble hedges in his sheltered garden will be priceless. I wish we could watch it streamed live.

fortitudinem multis - catenum regit omnia
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:17:08 PM

It is prudent advice not to tread lightly around with Bitcoin though
KSV

Activity: 398
Merit: 250

SVERIGES VIRTUELLA VALUTAVÄXLING

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:53:08 PM

who writes this shit? a drunk leprechaun?

Trade Bitcoins @ FYB-SE ---> https://www.fybse.se
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: