Bitcoin Forum
June 18, 2024, 02:44:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a good idea to store Bitcoin in exchange websites before the hard fork?  (Read 200 times)
sagarthukral (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:26:35 PM

Bitcoin Gold hard fork is just around the corner, so it is important to know where to keep my Bitcoins in order to receive bitcoin gold. I know offline wallets are obviously a safer choice but will it be just fine if some bitcoin balance is on exchange websites?
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:44:10 PM

Bitcoin Gold hard fork is just around the corner, so it is important to know where to keep my Bitcoins in order to receive bitcoin gold. I know offline wallets are obviously a safer choice but will it be just fine if some bitcoin balance is on exchange websites?
It's never a good idea to store large amount of coins on exchange, but sometime you just can't avoid it. Leaving just a little amount of bitcoin on the exchange won't hurt, as long as you can afford the lost (if happens). Sooner or later exchanges will give you the forked coins, it's just the matter of time (XAPO has offered BCH in early October, the fork happened in August...)
AverageGlabella
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1080

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:46:37 PM

No. You need to get it into a proper wallet whether thats bitcoin core or electrum or trezor. get it into something other than a exchange. a exchange is probably the biggest risk.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:46:56 PM

Right now most of them are saying that they don't support it and won't list it. I expect it to be listed on bittrex, maybe polo as well, yobit maybe.
Before the last fork people were saying that we shouldn't keep money on exchange, that it's unsafe, but it all went smooth. Just remember you can keep BTC in your wallet and redeem your coins after the fork with no risk involved.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
CisColtz

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:54:17 PM

Well before you do that , make sure your exchange is supporting the fork and you can safely deposit your bitcoin there. Even if this is not the safest way to keep your bitcoins , it's better to keep them on blockchain.info or a cold wallet. The new bitcoin will have a big support ? I don't think so.
javalemcgee

Activity: 215
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 07:56:25 PM

During the last btc fork, my friends put their bitcoins on bittrex exchanger and they told me they received their new forked bitcoins. But you have to make sure before you put them there. Follow the official updates.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: