Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 10:21:53 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First Rig, biggest fail...  (Read 354 times)
izF4TE (OP)

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:22:00 PM

I’m a newbie. Today I put together 6gpu mining rig. So I think everything is going great, I have everything plugged in the right spot I think. Things started going downhill when I pressed the power on button on the motherboard. The 6gpu didn’t start running, the motherboard has power though, the external dvd also has power, the keyboard and mouse does not have power, and the monitor doesn’t display bios or anything. The only thing that was showing on the monitor is dvi no signal or hdmi no signal because I tried both monitors. I don’t know what went wrong. Need some help please!
blacktux88

Activity: 308
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 09:25:17 PM

I have tested every new rig with 1 activated gpu ...
after suceffully booting and installing the drivers you can turn it off and put the rest in

Mike011

Activity: 312
Merit: 104

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:42:01 PM

Post the rig specs. Maybe your power supply is insufficient.
sylance

Activity: 392
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 09:49:56 PM

I have tested every new rig with 1 activated gpu ...
after suceffully booting and installing the drivers you can turn it off and put the rest in

This is what I'd do.  Get it up and running with one GPU first, then go to two, and so on until you get all six running.  Might be good to post this in the mining forum as you'll probably get more help there.

Post the rig specs. Maybe your power supply is insufficient.

This is also my guess.  Powering 6-GPU's requires a really big power supply.  What cards are you trying to run?

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
Beicin

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:12:09 PM

Try adding 1 gpu at a time and making it work - this is a good way to troubleshoot your rig and see where it starts failing. Posts your specs and hardware so we can take a further look and maybe help you with some tips

izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:53:46 PM

The spec is 6 gtx 1070, evga 1200 platinum psu, z170a sli,6 riser.
lokinator

Activity: 266

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 11:10:50 PM

First -- wrong category of forum for this thread. This should have been posted in the mining section (mods will move it I am sure)...

That being said, like the others have pointed out -- never just install all 6 GPUs and turn on the rig. This is a sure way to fail to boot. Also I am not sure if the Z170a SLI Plus can run 6 GPUs (a quick Google search said it was limited to 4 -- this could be outdated however). I have several rigs running the Z170A Gaming M5 board and 6 GPUs work fine.

Install one GPU and the bare minimum of hardware and boot. Once you have successfully done that, install the remainder of your hardware (RAM, ROMs, Extra HDs, etc) and turn the rig off and add another card. Repeat this process until you get to the 3rd card.

Before you install the 3rd GPU, make sure you have your BIOS settings correct:
-- change PEG0 and PEG1 to Gen1 (some of my rigs want Gen2 -- most are fine with Gen1)
-- set Above 4G Decoding to Enabled
Save settings and reload.

Shut down -- Install the third card. Boot and allow drivers to install. Again repeat the process of adding one card at a time and shutting down until all 6 GPUs are installed.

If you get to a point where you receive a failure to boot or drivers won't install, it's probably the riser in the newly added card. The risers have HORRIBLE quality control, especially with the v 1.1 and 002 boards. I have had about half of my Version 2 risers fail. Look for risers with Version 6 or above boards. They are much less likely to fail.

Report back if this doesn't help you and I am sure we can throw some more ideas at you!

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord    ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion
izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 03:07:22 AM

even after disconnecting all 5 pins from the psu, and 5 thing connected to the pcie。Powering on the motherboard did not start the solo graphic card. The cpu fans are spinning, the psu fans are spinning, external dvd can open plug into USB ports. Keyboard and mouse lightings are off when plug in to USB ports. Monitor dvi no signal.
izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 03:15:03 AM

First -- wrong category of forum for this thread. This should have been posted in the mining section (mods will move it I am sure)...

That being said, like the others have pointed out -- never just install all 6 GPUs and turn on the rig. This is a sure way to fail to boot. Also I am not sure if the Z170a SLI Plus can run 6 GPUs (a quick Google search said it was limited to 4 -- this could be outdated however). I have several rigs running the Z170A Gaming M5 board and 6 GPUs work fine.

Install one GPU and the bare minimum of hardware and boot. Once you have successfully done that, install the remainder of your hardware (RAM, ROMs, Extra HDs, etc) and turn the rig off and add another card. Repeat this process until you get to the 3rd card.

Before you install the 3rd GPU, make sure you have your BIOS settings correct:
-- change PEG0 and PEG1 to Gen1 (some of my rigs want Gen2 -- most are fine with Gen1)
-- set Above 4G Decoding to Enabled
Save settings and reload.

Shut down -- Install the third card. Boot and allow drivers to install. Again repeat the process of adding one card at a time and shutting down until all 6 GPUs are installed.

If you get to a point where you receive a failure to boot or drivers won't install, it's probably the riser in the newly added card. The risers have HORRIBLE quality control, especially with the v 1.1 and 002 boards. I have had about half of my Version 2 risers fail. Look for risers with Version 6 or above boards. They are much less likely to fail.

Report back if this doesn't help you and I am sure we can throw some more ideas at you!

Ty, I tried, it still doesn’t seem to work. 8pins goes into psi, and 6+2 pins goes connected to graphic card right?
rommelzkie

Activity: 294
Merit: 125

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 03:15:31 AM

I’m a newbie. Today I put together 6gpu mining rig. So I think everything is going great, I have everything plugged in the right spot I think. Things started going downhill when I pressed the power on button on the motherboard. The 6gpu didn’t start running, the motherboard has power though, the external dvd also has power, the keyboard and mouse does not have power, and the monitor doesn’t display bios or anything. The only thing that was showing on the monitor is dvi no signal or hdmi no signal because I tried both monitors. I don’t know what went wrong. Need some help please!

Just start running using 1 GPU then add GPU one by one.

izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 03:30:28 AM

I did, but it is the same result. I turn on motherboard with a screwdriver, and the only you that is plugged in is not spinning. Anyways, even if the gpu is not spinning, shouldn’t I at least be able to turn off monitor, why is it dvi no signal or hdmi no signal
lokinator

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 03:46:31 AM

I did, but it is the same result. I turn on motherboard with a screwdriver, and the only you that is plugged in is not spinning. Anyways, even if the gpu is not spinning, shouldn’t I at least be able to turn off monitor, why is it dvi no signal or hdmi no signal

Did you plug in both the power connectors on the motherboard? There is a 24 pin AND an 8 pin that both need to be plugged in. And yes, there will be 8 pin power connectors on the GPUs themselves that need to be plugged in.

GTX 1070 fans won't run all the time. So if the fans are not running, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They will sit idle until the card gets over a certain temperature. They do turn on briefly when they are powered on however.

Also, it is an absolutely horrible idea to start your rig with a screwdriver. All you have to do is touch in the wrong spot and you've fried your whole motherboard. Motherboard header power switches are like $1 on ebay. Or you could make a much safer switch out of a few jumpers and a couple wires.

izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 04:13:15 AM

Omg.. I didn’t plug the cpu power supply. Omg..... so far I got rid of the dvi no signal error
tsaroz
Legendary

Activity: 2982
Merit: 1069

https://listfaucet.com

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2017, 04:46:56 AM

Omg.. I didn’t plug the cpu power supply. Omg..... so far I got rid of the dvi no signal error

There you go. You should first make a running PC before making a rig.
Check every power and connection to motherboard.
After running PC, add GPUs, use risers for effective cooling and be sure how many GPUs your mobo supports.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Top 5 Crypto Faucets - Earn Crypto For Free! ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
1. VieFaucet  ♥♥♥  2. Earnbitmoon.club ♥♥♥ 3. Feyyora.top  ♥♥♥  4. Coinpayz.com ♥♥♥  5. Adbtc.top
⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏⏏
izF4TE (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 04:57:03 AM

My ssd won’t show up on bios. It is Samsung 850 sad. When I try to install window on new computer with a usb stick. I can’t store that files on ssd because it said unallocated disk. How do I fix this?
lokinator

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 11:29:50 AM

My ssd won’t show up on bios. It is Samsung 850 sad. When I try to install window on new computer with a usb stick. I can’t store that files on ssd because it said unallocated disk. How do I fix this?

Wow -- At least we solved one problem.

Try plugging your SSD into a different SATA slot. Also, did you forget to plug the power into the back of the SSD?

An unallocated disk just means it hasn't been formatted or prepared for files. Just format the drive.
Does your computer see the SSD or does it not see the SSD? Why would you attempt to install Windows onto a drive that your BIOS doesn't know exists?

I feel like we are dealing with "I don't actually know how to build a PC" problems. As opposed to mining rig problems. Mining rigs are simple, but I would say more difficult than building a regular PC. Some proficiency is required. I am not sure why you thought it would be a good idea to buy over $2500 worth of hardware that you don't know how to properly put together.

bundo

Activity: 308

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 12:43:42 PM

I think it will be a lot of help if you post it at the mining, any information can be seen there (on mining)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: