Bitcoin Forum
June 20, 2024, 10:50:22 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How many transactions in one block?  (Read 627 times)
helars2008 (OP)

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 10:44:27 PM

Good day!
I am really curious about this and cannot stop myself from asking it in order to have a peace of mind.
I am still a newbie in cryptocurrency world but very much eager to learn new things.
I've researching a lot about cryptocurrency and i am now concentrating on topics related to blockchains. I have already watched a lot of youtube videos and read a lot of articles but until now i havent found a specific answer on how many transactions are needed to be confirmed before a block is added to the chain.
Hopefully someone could answer this for me.
Or maybe you can send me a link wherein i can further research about this.
Thank you very much.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
› › › › ›  JOIN THE NEW AIRDROP ✈️        VERIFIED WITH DEEPVAULT  ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹ ‹
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
achow101
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2017, 10:48:03 PM

Your assumption is completely wrong.

There is no "number of transactions needed to be confirmed before a block is added to the chain". That is not how Bitcoin works.

A block is a collection of transactions and transactions are confirmed by being included in a block. There is not a separate process that makes a transaction confirmed. It is part of block creation and mining. A block must have at least one transaction, the coin generation transaction (also called a coinbase transaction, not to be confused with transactions made by Coinbase the company). A block can have just the coinbase transaction, and any number of transactions until the block weight limit is reached. This means that it can have anywhere from one transaction to several thousands of transactions.

A good place to read about how Bitcoin works is the documentation on bitcoin.org

helars2008 (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 11:05:05 PM

There is no "number of transactions needed to be confirmed before a block is added to the chain". That is not how Bitcoin works.

A block is a collection of transactions and transactions are confirmed by being included in a block. There is not a separate process that makes a transaction confirmed. It is part of block creation and mining. A block must have at least one transaction, the coin generation transaction (also called a coinbase transaction, not to be confused with transactions made by Coinbase the company). A block can have just the coinbase transaction, and any number of transactions until the block weight limit is reached. This means that it can have anywhere from one transaction to several thousands of transactions.

A good place to read about how Bitcoin works is the documentation on bitcoin.org
I really appreciate the reply and its from a moderator.  Cheesy
I am honestly still confused with what you said above since it is totally far from my assumptions.
I have been re-reading your reply until now and got some of the points you stated.
Nevertheless i will visit the lonk you have give and will continue from there.

P.S.
You mentioned:
This means that it can have anywhere from one transaction to several thousands of transactions.
Do this also mean that even with only one transaction a miner can be given a reward for confirming it?
Again,  maybe my assumptions is still incorrect.
Cheesy

★ ★ ★ ★ ★   DeepOnion    Anonymous and Untraceable Cryptocurrency    TOR INTEGRATED & SECURED   ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   ANN  WHITEPAPER  FACEBOOK  TWITTER  YOUTUBE  FORUM   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
cr1776
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1303

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

I am honestly still confused with what you said above since it is totally far from my assumptions.
I have been re-reading your reply until now and got some of the points you stated.

P.S.
You mentioned:
This means that it can have anywhere from one transaction to several thousands of transactions.
Do this also mean that even with only one transaction a miner can be given a reward for confirming it?
Cheesy

Yes, a miner will get the same block reward regardless of the number of transactions included in the block.  Transaction fees (which are in addition to the block reward) would likely be less for a block with few transactions vs a lot of transactions.  (I say likely less because that one transaction could have a huge fee attached to it).

helars2008 (OP)

View Profile
October 11, 2017, 11:28:51 PM

P.S.
You mentioned:
Cheesy

Yes, a miner will get the same block reward regardless of the number of transactions included in the block.  Transaction fees (which are in addition to the block reward) would likely be less for a block with few transactions vs a lot of transactions.  (I say likely less because that one transaction could have a huge fee attached to it).

I see...
Thank you very much for clarifying it to me.
I am now more interested in conducting more research Cheesy
Just another question though.
Do this same type of block processing also applies to other altcoins that uses blockchain too?
Sorry for having another question.
My curiousity is not gonna be easily satiated because of the things i learned right now.

achow101
Legendary

Merit: 6720

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 12, 2017, 12:05:40 AM

Do this same type of block processing also applies to other altcoins that uses blockchain too?
It depends on the altcoin, but most are based on Bitcoin (and cloned from it) so they use the same mechanism.

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4669

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 02:03:15 PM

Unfortunately, there isn't a good standard lexicon for bitcoin. There is no centralized authority in control of deciding what the proper usage is for various words.  This often leads to a lot of confusion when two (or more) people using different definitions for the same words try to have a conversation.

Generally, I prefer to use "Block Reward" to describe the total revenue that is paid for solving the block.

The Block Reward generally consists of the sum of the Block Subsidy plus all the Transaction Fees of all the transactions in the block.

The "Block Subsidy" is the "new bitcoins" that come into existence with the block.  That subsidy started at 50 BTC for the first block, and is cut in half (and rounded down to the nearest 0.00000001 BTC) every 210000 blocks.  It is currently 12.5 BTC.

The "Transaction Fees" are the difference between the value supplied by all the inputs of all the transactions in the block and the value assigned by all the outputs of all the transactions in the block.

mistyderby

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 05:33:24 PM

Unfortunately, there isn't a good standard lexicon for bitcoin. There is no centralized authority in control of deciding what the proper usage is for various words.  This often leads to a lot of confusion when two (or more) people using different definitions for the same words try to have a conversation.

Generally, I prefer to use "Block Reward" to describe the total revenue that is paid for solving the block.

The Block Reward generally consists of the sum of the Block Subsidy plus all the Transaction Fees of all the transactions in the block.

The "Block Subsidy" is the "new bitcoins" that come into existence with the block.  That subsidy started at 50 BTC for the first block, and is cut in half (and rounded down to the nearest 0.00000001 BTC) every 210000 blocks.  It is currently 12.5 BTC.

The "Transaction Fees" are the difference between the value supplied by all the inputs of all the transactions in the block and the value assigned by all the outputs of all the transactions in the block.

i'm a newbie with lots of curiosity too. please don't be annoyed for my questions below .

so does that mean bitcoin miners are the one completing transactions and filling up the blocks too? if yes, then what is now tha job of those working at blockchain?
How many ttansaction fills up a block?

DannyHamilton
Legendary

Merit: 4669

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 06:37:00 PM

does that mean bitcoin miners are the one completing transactions and filling up the blocks too?

Completing?

Miners are the ones "confirming" transactions.  In Bitcoin terminology, "1 confirmation" means that the transaction is included in a block in the blockchain. Each additional "confirmation" means another block of transactions has been added to the blockchain after the block that includes the transaction being discussed.

Miners collect a set of 1 or more valid transactions such that the total number of bytes of data is less than the current block weight limit.  Then they build an 80 byte header for that set of transactions.  They complete a proof-of-work on that header, and then they broadcast the block of transactions (including the header) to all peers on the network so that everyone can add the block to their blockchain.

if yes, then what is now the job of those working at blockchain?

You mean "blockchain.info"?

That is a business that came a few later after bitcoin was created.  They built a website that listens to the bitcoin network and provides information and statistics about the transactions that they see on the network and about their copy of the blockchain.  They eventually also built a web based bitcoin wallet for people to use.  They are not in charge of bitcoin, they did not create the bitcoin concept, they are not in control of the bitcoin blockchain, and there is nothing official about them.  They are just a third-party service that chose a popular bitcoin related name for themselves.

How many transaction fills up a block?

However many the solo miner (or mining pool) wants to put in the block as long as it is at least 1 and the total size is less bytes than the current block weight limit
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:26:06 PM

Good day!
I am really curious about this and cannot stop myself from asking it in order to have a peace of mind.
I am still a newbie in cryptocurrency world but very much eager to learn new things.
I've researching a lot about cryptocurrency and i am now concentrating on topics related to blockchains. I have already watched a lot of youtube videos and read a lot of articles but until now i havent found a specific answer on how many transactions are needed to be confirmed before a block is added to the chain.
Hopefully someone could answer this for me.
Or maybe you can send me a link wherein i can further research about this.
Thank you very much.

You can check it yourself using blockchain explorers. In case of blockchain.info's web application. You will see the block numbers. Just click on one of the block numbers and you will see all the trasactions within the block. You can count them yourself. The average is 10 minutes before a new block is created. So within the ten minutes which is the average it will contain all the transactions within the block. There is no fix number of transaction per block of course but you can calculate the average.If you are really a newbie you will definitely do that. Nice way to research. You definitely are good at studying so keep it up.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: