Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 03:36:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will I MELT my Asrock H110 motherboard? Electrical advice needed.  (Read 793 times)
thepixelgeek (OP)

Activity: 59
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 12:15:43 PM

https://i.imgur.com/YFbxHPq.jpg

My motherboard requires 2 molex be connected for 13 gpus.

I'm using a server grade psu in conjunction with 160w pico power. The pico power has 22 awg wire which has 1 molex attached already.

My first thought was to add another molex to the pico power. However, based on @philipma1957 past experience, the pico may not be able to handle the extra (second molex) power being drawn by the board. It could melt the pico!

The current thinking is to add a molex on one of the lines coming from the server psu. But, since the server psu is 12v only, I will leave out the 5v which is usually used with a 4 pin molex.

Will this be problematic?

Thanks to @philipma1957 for helping thus far.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Vann

Activity: 1036
Merit: 606

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 12:18:39 PM

You don't need to use the motherboard molex PCI-E supplemental power when using all powered risers. You do need to disable the power check in the Bios or you will get a warning message at Post.
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 01:13:56 PM

Thanks! Where is the "power check" in the bios? What's is called?

Also, per the manual, and because it's 13 gpu's, it says these molex must be plugged in. I have to believe it's for a reason since this is a "mining" board, and ASrock is well aware of powered risers, no?

Are you using this board now?

Is the "power check" option in the bios something different? Where can I find it specifically?
You don't need to use the motherboard molex PCI-E supplemental power when using all powered risers. You do need to disable the power check in the Bios or you will get a warning message at Post.
Vann

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 01:25:11 PM

I think it's in the advanced menu > Chipset configuration. Look for PCI-E power warning or something like that and set it to disabled.
polylogic

Activity: 546
Merit: 254

ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 01:27:05 PM

Also, per the manual, and because it's 13 gpu's, it says these molex must be plugged in. I have to believe it's for a reason since this is a "mining" board, and ASrock is well aware of powered risers, no?

Is the "power check" option in the bios something different? Where can I find it specifically?

the reason is if you dont use powerered risers than you can connect the onoard molex and still have enough power.
if you look at the manual you can read that these molex supply extra power to pci slots

.Presale LIVE..Crypto Visa EU OUT NOW.✔ ◾ Bonus Payments.
Cashback ✔ ◾ Rainshowers ✔ ◾ Ambassador Bounty
Founding the next way of banking D E Z E N T R A L I Z E D

|

2gether.global

|

AI optimized
Community driven
Personal banking

❌ VFA Approved
✅ ERC-20 Token
⚠⚠ Join presale now!

Website
Twitter
BTCT ANN
Vann

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 01:40:53 PM

the reason is if you dont use powerered risers than you can connect the onoard molex and still have enough power.
if you look at the manual you can read that these molex supply extra power to pci slots

That's correct. The supplemental power ports are there so you don't burn up the PCI-E slots or motherboard when using unpowered ribbon risers. Theoretically anyways. Many people had problems using unpowered risers with the ASRock H81 Pro BTC.

https://forum.ethereum.org/discussion/7367/using-an-asrock-h81-pro-btc-board-beware
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 01:44:54 PM

I've used Asrock H81 boards without molex.

However, the manual for H110 makes it sound like total meltdown if you don't use molex. Thought, maybe, since it's 13 GPUs, it might be different.

Thanks for the info!

Vann

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 02:00:26 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2017, 02:10:46 PM by Vann

However, the manual for H110 makes it sound like total meltdown if you don't use molex. Thought, maybe, since it's 13 GPUs, it might be different.

Thanks for the info!

I think they have the warning because the riser kits ASRock sells provide +12V power through a cable connected to the PCI-E slots. In that case, you definitely need to use the PCI-E supplemental power connectors on the motherboard.

http://www.asrock.com/mb/spec/card.asp?Model=BTC+PRO+Kit

USB powered risers supply +12V power directly from the PSU and there is only a small +3.3V current coming from the PCI-E slot through the USB cable to the riser. That's why ASRock lets you disable the warning, though they should make more clear when you need to use the PCI-E supplemental power connectors.
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 02:15:09 PM

Vann, thanks! This is good news, and it saves me the hassle of custom cable work!

Thanks for the info!

I think they have the warning because the riser kits ASRock sells provide +12V power through a cable connected to the PCI-E slots. In that case, you definitely need to use the PCI-E supplemental power connectors on the motherboard.

USB powered risers supply +12V power directly from the PSU and there is only a small +3.3V current coming from the PCI-E slot through the USB cable to the riser. That's why ASRock lets you disable the warning, though they should make more clear when you need to use the PCI-E supplemental power connectors.
polylogic

ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 02:15:49 PM

Thanks for the info!

nice riser kit, i like Smiley
and yeah, those would need the molex connected

|

2gether.global

|

AI optimized
Community driven
Personal banking

❌ VFA Approved
✅ ERC-20 Token
⚠⚠ Join presale now!

Website
Twitter
BTCT ANN
Vann

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 02:31:15 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2017, 03:13:04 PM by Vann

Thanks for the info!

The ASRock riser kit came out when ribbon risers were popular. I'm not sure the ASRock kit is better than using USB risers. The USB 6-pin risers have four capacitors for a stable current flow and a voltage regulator to prevent spikes, which the ASRock risers don't have. It's also questionable if providing power from the PCI-E slots for 13 cards through the motherboard is a good idea. The ASRock riser kit is expensive at $30 each too.
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 04:13:50 PM

I'm using USB 3.0 PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered Extender Riser. Version 006C. And they are 6pin powered. Edit: I don't use the crappy sata converter.
https://i.imgur.com/V8FDXRl.png

Thanks for the info!

The ASRock riser kit came out when ribbon risers were popular. I'm not sure the ASRock kit is better than using USB risers. The USB 6-pin risers have four capacitors for a stable current flow and a voltage regulator to prevent spikes, which the ASRock risers don't have. It's also questionable if providing power from the PCI-E slots for 13 cards through the motherboard is a good idea. The ASRock riser kit is expensive at $30 each too.
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 12, 2017, 05:29:04 PM
Last edit: October 12, 2017, 05:41:16 PM by thepixelgeek

What does that mean?

my rig molex connected ploblem :S ??
polylogic

ʕʘ̅͜ʘ̅ʔ

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 05:01:16 AM

oh i see, i thought they were new for the 13 pci slot boards.. this old overpriced hardware is not very good indeed.
them usb raisers are very good.. not much problems with them if you take care of them

|

2gether.global

|

AI optimized
Community driven
Personal banking

❌ VFA Approved
✅ ERC-20 Token
⚠⚠ Join presale now!

Website
Twitter
BTCT ANN
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 09:44:03 PM

I'm using USB 3.0 PCI-E 1x to 16x Powered Extender Riser. Version 006C. And they are 6pin powered. Edit: I don't use the crappy sata converter.

VERY good call.

The original ASRock "BTC mining" motherboard design predates widespread use of powered risers - the current R2.0 version does not, but seems to have stuck with the molex on the motherboard design for backwards compatability, then they carried it into their 13-slot version.

ASUS does the same thing on their 19-slot B250 BTC Pro design - but the board works fine without the molex if you use all powered risers.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
thepixelgeek (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:01:52 AM

Thanks! I'll be hooking up the H110 soon.

VERY good call.

The original ASRock "BTC mining" motherboard design predates widespread use of powered risers - the current R2.0 version does not, but seems to have stuck with the molex on the motherboard design for backwards compatability, then they carried it into their 13-slot version.

ASUS does the same thing on their 19-slot B250 BTC Pro design - but the board works fine without the molex if you use all powered risers.

smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:10:05 AM

I suggest you use molex connections.

I agree with powered risers you should not have to.

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
smaxz

Activity: 430
Merit: 253

VeganAcademy

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:30:13 PM

how did this work out for you? Smiley

- NGdTwHRSdnThdi1drQuHGT3khAHRtZ1HMq -
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:44:42 PM

The extra power connectors are there for a reason. Its pure laziness not to plug power into them.

Also, you do not need the 5v for those connectors. I run a PCI-E to 3 molex cable to power my H110s directly off of a server PSU along with a 160w PICO

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
tflux99

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 04:57:49 PM

for me its not working if i unplug the molex with 13 gpus connected all powered risers the board will not boot it stucks at postscreen before the extended power message...

▶▶ UR TOKEN ◀◀
═══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━═══
ⓄⓄ UNIVERSAL RECOGNITION TOKEN  ⓄⓄ

【 The first blockchain-based corporate rewards marketplace 】
══━┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈━══
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: