Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:11:29 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading Hours  (Read 1729 times)
Saint! (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:04:12 PM

Would enforced trading hours be a positive thing for Bitcoin?

Although it would place quite tight controls on the markets but with so much market manipulation going on during low periods would it be better to shut off the market during those times. ie weekends, after hours trading.

Obviously this would probably require a central trading platform to make this decision which we don't really have, unless it was something that all major exchanges signed up to.
edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 03:13:41 PM

Traders live in all parts of the world. Why would you want to prohibit someone from trading during the hours when they're most active simply because others aren't?

Still around.
Saint! (OP)

Activity: 46
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 03:36:34 PM

Obviously there would still be exchanges and local bitcoins hubs that you could trade at.

But taking MtGox as an example you can clearly that manipulators take advantage of the "out of hours" low trading volumes to cause massive swings in market value.

Where as if the trading was kept to certain hours when the majority of the market was awake and watching the market it would lessen the affect that the manipulators could have on the price.
Which would go a long was to providing a stable bitcoin market, rather than one that goes bananas every weekend.

Obviously the manipulation of the market is still speculation but the timings of the suspected manipulation do suggest as much.

Edit: Just putting this forward, I must admit I'm not a trading guru or anything. Just seems to make sense that closing the market during these slow trading hours would protect it somewhat.
BitSmile

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:31:20 PM

Shutting down exchanges during certain periods is, in my opinion, greater manipulation than slow period sell-offs/buys.

I don't get all this concern over "manipulators". If it is that obvious then bet against them and they will lose money...
+1

byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 07:31:52 PM

Shutting down exchanges during certain periods is, in my opinion, greater manipulation than slow period sell-offs/buys.

I don't get all this concern over "manipulators". If it is that obvious then bet against them and they will lose money...

Humans are conditioned to think there is a greater force pulling at the wires making everything happen. "God" is the original manipulator.

Peter Lambert

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:24:39 PM

Obviously there would still be exchanges and local bitcoins hubs that you could trade at.

But taking MtGox as an example you can clearly that manipulators take advantage of the "out of hours" low trading volumes to cause massive swings in market value.

Where as if the trading was kept to certain hours when the majority of the market was awake and watching the market it would lessen the affect that the manipulators could have on the price.
Which would go a long was to providing a stable bitcoin market, rather than one that goes bananas every weekend.

Obviously the manipulation of the market is still speculation but the timings of the suspected manipulation do suggest as much.

Edit: Just putting this forward, I must admit I'm not a trading guru or anything. Just seems to make sense that closing the market during these slow trading hours would protect it somewhat.

If this is so obvious, then people would put fiat into the exchange during business hours and then wait until after hours to place their bids, thus counteracting any new coins being placed onto the exchange during off-business hours.

Anyway, who would do this "enforcing" you speak of? Nobody has that kind of power over the exchanges.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
torba

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 03:30:36 AM

Either exchanges would enforce this (expect some exchanges to offer 24/7 as a feature) or bitcoin software would have to enforce this, in that case have fun making transactions after the curfew.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 03:59:17 AM

Noobs on the left. Vets on the right.

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
jeannie

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 04:05:06 AM

Forex is nearly 24/7 except for Sunday, I think it is best to open 24/7 as it helps those who want to buy or sell to get out/in of the market anytime.   It gives more security to Bitcoin if investors know that they can buy or sell any time of the day , any day.

Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 05:46:27 AM

enforced
Lol

calian

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:12:37 AM

You can literally determine when someone has lost money by the type of threads they start. The 24x7 market action of BTC is one of the things I really love about it (and no I'm not a day trader). It feels so much less artificial than the Wall Street version: "It's 4:00 pm on Friday. Let's close up the exchange for 65 hours and go down to the yacht club."
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:14:48 AM

NO I love full exchanges
Timed exchanges would just promote OTC trading After hours Trading and trading between big investors outside of market hours

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Frozenlock

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 06:15:19 AM

It feels so much less artificial than the Wall Street version: "It's 4:00 pm on Friday. Let's close up the exchange for 65 hours and go down to the yacht club."

This.

The world doesn't stop because some people take some days off.
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 07:22:05 AM

NO I love full exchanges
Timed exchanges would just promote OTC trading After hours Trading and trading between big investors outside of market hours

Exactly.  Just as many big stock moves come when retail traders are out of the market, trying to close exchanges when you can't stop OTC trading will only give manipulators another tool.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.
torba

Activity: 100

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 07:33:28 AM

I think we should all point and laugh at the floor traders while they "get some sleep after a tough day" while we rise off into the sunset on server racks.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 07:34:44 AM

I think we should all point and laugh at the floor traders while they "get some sleep after a tough day" while we rise off into the sunset on server racks.

Floor traders don't exist anymore.  They have been replaced by scripts.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 08:19:09 AM

That's very very true damn algorithms and noise

notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:20:52 AM

Market making is a waste of human resources.  It is a very well defined process that is easily automated.

That said, I'm not okay with programs that are allowed to front run trades by being given access to orders before they are eligible to be executed.

freedomno1
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:31:15 AM

Market making is a waste of human resources.  It is a very well defined process that is easily automated.

That said, I'm not okay with programs that are allowed to front run trades by being given access to orders before they are eligible to be executed.

I'm not really happy with algorithmic trading and it's ability to manipulate limit orders by selling just enough to eat a persons order then pump the price down again
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mkearns/papers/vwap.pdf
Papers kind of long but is pretty much the explanation

That said the problems of getting priority in trading by thousands of a second over other's is also an issue and issuing shares and cancelling orders in the same timeframe is another problem

notme
Legendary

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 09:39:26 AM

I'm not really happy with algorithmic trading and it's ability to manipulate limit orders by selling just enough to eat a persons order then pump the price down again
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~mkearns/papers/vwap.pdf
Papers kind of long but is pretty much the explanation
That is exactly the problem I mentioned.  They have an advantaged view of the retail orders and are able to place orders to be executed before the retail trades execute.

That said the problems of getting priority in trading by thousands of a second over other's is also an issue and issuing shares and cancelling orders in the same timeframe is another problem

This gets at the other main problem: it is illegal for a human to place an order without intending to let if fill.  Algorithms are permitted to do this due to a bug in the way the law was written.

In general, I don't see a problem with allowing companies to rent out rack space in the exchange's datacenter.  This is no different from a trade paying a fee to participate.  It is the ability to front run retail orders and the ability to stack the order book (and remove the orders quick enough if retail orders come in that will mess up their manipulation) that are the problems.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: