Bitcoin Forum
May 27, 2024, 10:18:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Ruh Roh, bitcoin on the radar of the IMF?  (Read 12451 times)
MykelSilver

Activity: 237
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 05:57:56 PM

They can buy mining hardware  equipment for unlimited amount of funds and mine the rest of the coins to corner / control the market

They would need clearance and no committee would agree to wasting that much money.
The US can print as much as it wants so "wasting" is impossible.
I suppose the IMF could benefit from US money printing
The FED is currently printing 85 billion a month (quantitative easing)
Well,
If this is true then it is not the question IF this will be the end of Bitcoin, but When.... :-( Very sad. Bad guys always win
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:01:14 PM

Thoughts?

This gives me warm fuzzies; a University of Chicago professor speculating about how a wildly successful Bitcoin might affect the International Monetary Fund!

I don't really care what is said, just the fact that Bitcoin is being talked about in the elite Ivory Towers is a very good thing.

Amen. You have to fly high to be on radar.

Cash with Wings
DAN444

Activity: 158

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:05:33 PM

They can buy mining hardware  equipment for unlimited amount of funds and mine the rest of the coins to corner / control the market

They would need clearance and no committee would agree to wasting that much money.
The US can print as much as it wants so "wasting" is impossible.
I suppose the IMF could benefit from US money printing
The FED is currently printing 85 billion a month (quantitative easing)
Well,
If this is true
From the mouth of (at the time) FED chairman Alan Greenspan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6vi528gseA
jaywaka2713

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:06:13 PM

Ugh read more government crap about Bitcoin. Look at it this way, we got our name into IMF reports. We should see this as marketing success.

acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:08:11 PM

They can buy mining hardware  equipment for unlimited amount of funds and mine the rest of the coins to corner / control the market

That's like trying to corner the market on winning the lottery.

Also, I don't know why we're seeing so many people talk about "mining all the bitcoins" like anyone could actually do it. It doesn't matter how much computing power you put toward mining. Coins will only come into existence at a limited rate until around 2030.
MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:08:52 PM

Well, if the Hashrate explodes than I know the IMF has joined the mining business .... They can buy whole nuclear plants as power supply......
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:10:20 PM

Well, if the Hashrate explodes than I know the IMF has joined the mining business .... They can buy whole nuclear plants as power supply......

Hash rate will already explode from ASIC lines. Will be impossible to calculate if IMF mines or not.

MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:13:00 PM

Hash rate will already explode from ASIC lines. Will be impossible to calculate if IMF mines or not.
By explode: I mean really explode. Think about hashrate of these numbers:

Quadrillion has 15 zeros
Quintillion has 18 zeros
Sextillion has 21 zeros
Septillion has 24 zeros
Octillion has 27 zeros
Nonillion has 30 zeros
Decillion has 33 zeros
Undecillion has 36 zeros
Duodecillion has 39 zeros
Tredecillion has 42 zeros
Quattuordecillion has 45 zeros
Quindecillion has 48 zeros
Sexdecillion has 51 zeros
Septendecillion has 54 zeros
Octodecillion has 57 zeros
Novemdecillion has 60 zeros
Vigintillion has 63 zeros
Googol has 100 zeros.
Centillion has 303 zeros (except in Britain, where it has 600 zeros)
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:16:48 PM

Hence the beauty of Bitcoin.

If the forces that want to control/stop it actually try it contributes to speeding Bitcoin's wide scale adoption and success as they legitimize it.
jaywaka2713

aka 7Strykes

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:17:43 PM

Quadrillion has 15 zeros
Quintillion has 18 zeros
Sextillion has 21 zeros
Septillion has 24 zeros
Octillion has 27 zeros
Nonillion has 30 zeros
Decillion has 33 zeros
Undecillion has 36 zeros
Googol has 100 zeros.

OK Nobody will invest the HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars into making a device that has 1 quadrillion GH/s.

MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:19:29 PM

If the forces that want to control/stop it actually try it contributes to speeding Bitcoin's wide scale adoption and success as they legitimize it.

Not if they mine the remainder of ALL bitcoins... Within seconds short time they can mine all of it using the above hashrate (Centillion Hash/s)  Than they can sell those about 11M coins at once into the market so its value would drop to zero
Tuxavant

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

Bitcoin Mayor of Las Vegas

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:21:05 PM

Not if they mine the remainder of ALL bitcoins... Within seconds they can mine all of it using the above hashrate (Centillion Hash/s)  Than they can sell those about 11M coins at once into the market so its value would drop to zero

Pretty sure this would result in a unanimous consensus to roll back the blockchain and instantly invalidate those billions of dollars spend on the hardware.

MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:21:38 PM

Not if they mine the remainder of ALL bitcoins... Within seconds short time they can mine all of it using the above hashrate (Centillion Hash/s)  Than they can sell those about 11M coins at once into the market so its value would drop to zero

Quadrillion has 15 zeros
Quintillion has 18 zeros
Sextillion has 21 zeros
Septillion has 24 zeros
Octillion has 27 zeros
Nonillion has 30 zeros
Decillion has 33 zeros
Undecillion has 36 zeros
Googol has 100 zeros.

OK Nobody will invest the HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS of dollars into making a device that has 1 quadrillion GH/s.
They can FREE print any amount of money they want.
MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:22:41 PM

Not if they mine the remainder of ALL bitcoins... Within seconds they can mine all of it using the above hashrate (Centillion Hash/s)  Than they can sell those about 11M coins at once into the market so its value would drop to zero

Pretty sure this would result in a unanimous consensus to roll back the blockchain and instantly invalidate those billions of dollars spend on the hardware.

Is that possible? Nice thought.... Very interesting . Thanks for sharing
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:24:14 PM

What part of fixed inflation rate don't you understand?
harposox (OP)

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:24:50 PM

The IMF couldn't take down Bitcoin if it tried. It's too late for that now. It will cost hundreds of millions of dollars to do such a feat, and they'd need to pay a developer that understands Bitcoin enough to write code that launches hostile blocks. Also, they will have essentially deflated the US Dollar by almost 1 Billion dollars because of the amount invested in Bitcoin. Don't worry about this.

I'm not technically savvy enough to have a credible opinion whether an organization like the IMF can possibly threaten bitcoin as a concept, currency, or protocol; I'll leave that to smarter folks than I. However, I am definitely concerned with the influence that something as powerful as the IMF can have on making day-to-day bitcoin usage nearly impossible for laypersons such as myself—by demonizing it globally, turning politicians and political/legal systems against it, polluting academia and media with anti-bitcoin propaganda, shutting down exchanges, etc. In my mind these are bitcoin's weak links and the idea that it's immune to such assaults is extremely naive.

Remember, the global banking cartel does not fuck around—this group (the IMF, World Bank, BCCI, BIS, and their satellite network of central banks) has decades of experience bringing entire economies to their knees. Despite their laughable protestations to the contrary, they have virtually unlimited resources to bring to bear should they choose to do so... they own the printing presses!
MykelSilver

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:26:00 PM

What part of fixed inflation rate don't you understand?
I give up. You tell me.
Elwar
Legendary

Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386

Viva Ut Vivas

View Profile WWW
June 05, 2013, 06:26:41 PM

Their best solution would be to court the Bitcoin Foundation with promises of main player status in world currency decisions.

In exchange, the Bitcoin Foundation would need to reserve a good chunk of bitcoins for currency manipulation.

Or they could call the Winklevoss twins...

First seastead company actually selling sea homes: Ocean Builders https://ocean.builders  Of course we accept bitcoin.
acoindr
Legendary

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:29:33 PM

...by demonizing it globally, turning politicians and political/legal systems against it, polluting academia and media with anti-bitcoin propaganda, shutting down exchanges, etc. ...

Then they fight you, then you win...
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 06:31:20 PM

Ah, the chicago school of economics...  Fascist scumbags, brainwashed idiots, and psychopathic criminals.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: