Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 12:34:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What's your exit/take profit plan with Bitcoin?  (Read 622 times)
NUFCrichard
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 07:26:51 AM

My investment in Bitcoin has almost reached my target retirement fund amount, which I can put the money in some boring index fund to generate enough passive income for the rest of my life.
However, I don't want to sell all my Bitcoin at once, I'm a strong believer in Bitcoin, and think the future is bright, however, I must secure my profit as well, btw, I'm invested about 99% of my wealth in Bitcoin.

One exit plan that I came up was:
Sell 10% of my BTC once it hit my target amount, sell 20% on next year, 30%... and so on.

Illustrate: If I have 100BTC, sell 10BTC first year, sell 18BTC (20% of the 90BTC) next year...etc.

This exit plan still gives a lot of weight in Bitcoin, which means I'm still going to have a high-risk portfolio for next few years, the pros are, I believe Bitcoin value can multiply.

So what'll be your exit plan if you've had enough Bitcoin to live the rest of your life?

Well for a start, you are obviously in a nice situation and it is a problem that I am sure many people would like to have!

I too have been thinking about this, though the number of Bitcoins I hold and the initial investment I made were probably much lower than yours.
I go onto Bitcoinity and set the chart to 6 months.  6 months ago the price was $1150 or so, and we were all fairly happy with that at the time.  I assume that $1150 isn't a high enough price for you to retire though.

There is no real reason why the price couldn't fall back to $1150, hopefully it won't, but really it could. So you have to ask yourself how you will feel/cope if that does happen.  I guess for you it wouldn't be a tragedy, but it would mean that you would have to work/save for a longer time before retiring.  If your goal is to retire with the amount you have now, I don't really see much downside to doing that.  Or you could sell some of your Bitcoin, and leave some for speculation based on how much you can save in the time you have until retirement (I wouldn't want a large amount in shares now with the ATHs there)

My plan was and remains to sell when I feel that the price is high. I won't get rich from Bitcoin, but I have gone from having not much saings, to having a fairly good amount of savings.  I want to keep some skin in the Bitcoin game though, incase the price really does end up being $100k or whatever people like to predict. So I sell on occasion, and I do not buy at these prices. I am in profit and the only way that I can end up not in profit is by buying high.  If in 6 months the price is back where it was 6 months ago, and I bought at $5700, I could find myself having hardly any savings again, which would have negated the whole Bitcoin rise we are enjoying now.

Sorry for the long, rambling answer!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 07:46:20 AM

I loan now.
No need to buy when things are so expensive ... and Bitcoin value evolve more quickly than ... leasing cost.

where are the services that enable bit coiners to get hold on some cash (lambo, etc. without giving up magical internet tokens that will rise 4ever?

I own a €46 000,- bike now. is great but sucks. I should have gotten a €5k loan for the bike and could pay it back now with ONE bitcoin. instead of selling 10 btc for it two years ago.   
RetireWithBitcoin (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:14:58 PM

I've made a tools that help me to find the best answer for myself, check it out at https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2281136.0
gentlemand
Legendary

Activity: 2590
Merit: 3013

Welt Am Draht

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:19:51 PM

where are the services that enable bit coiners to get hold on some cash (lambo, etc. without giving up magical internet tokens that will rise 4ever?

I own a €46 000,- bike now. is great but sucks. I should have gotten a €5k loan for the bike and could pay it back now with ONE bitcoin. instead of selling 10 btc for it two years ago.   

At what point do you feel it's risen enough for you to start spending in a more wanton manner without being haunted by it? There'll come a price level where it all becomes somewhat academic, maybe it already is for certain people. It's free money now, it'll be even more free money in the future.

I spent a bit around the $1000 level. It would've been lovely to pay 6 times less for the same filth but I don't regret it as Bitcoin had been making me wait long enough so it was time for it to repay my patience.
ckorbba

Activity: 672
Merit: 144

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:30:07 PM

At what point do you feel it's risen enough for you to start spending in a more wanton manner without being haunted by it? There'll come a price level where it all becomes somewhat academic, maybe it already is for certain people. It's free money now, it'll be even more free money in the future.

I spent a bit around the $1000 level. It would've been lovely to pay 6 times less for the same filth but I don't regret it as Bitcoin had been making me wait long enough so it was time for it to repay my patience.
I think that to date Bitcoin shows very good results, but that the nemesis can get to wait for even the highest level of the goal and then you can afford much more than planned. I was always advised not to rush with the sale of Bitcoin and pay no attention to the loans, because with the help of the crypto currency you will get rid of the problems of debts and everything else.
pisston

Activity: 630
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 08:29:16 PM

I think that to date Bitcoin shows very good results, but that the nemesis can get to wait for even the highest level of the goal and then you can afford much more than planned. I was always advised not to rush with the sale of Bitcoin and pay no attention to the loans, because with the help of the crypto currency you will get rid of the problems of debts and everything else.
here I completely can agree with you, because I myself am a great example of the implementation of my plans with the help of crypto currency. With credits it is necessary to forget finally. Of course, the banking system is very strongly linked to the humanity of its structures, But we need to leave it in the past.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: