Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:16:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When will the gpu line be crossed?  (Read 1837 times)
Svennisen (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:13:15 PM

Asics is now taking over the network hashing power.
When will asics have so much power that all other forms of mining is not profitable? That point has to come rather soon..

Will it be noticeable, that every gpu mining rig is leaving the network? Or will it happen over a long time with the only result that the difficulty curve will not be as steep?

I realize that some miners will still keep their equipment running even if they are not making any money on it.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
PeeJWeeJ

Activity: 49
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:20:28 PM

My expected timeline:

ASICs start entering in droves, hashrate and difficulty shoot up.
Remnant GPU miners switch to SCRYPT based coins (litecoin, worldcoin etc.)
BTC hashrate/difficulty drops a bit, and then goes back to it's current trend.

How soon it will happen all depends on how many/how soon the ASIC producers will actually ship any decent amount of the machines. Given that most of them were supposed to be out by now and very few have actually been seen (yet) in the wild, I would be careful about making any prediction about how they will affect the market.
BBQKorv

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:24:27 PM

There are plenty of people mining with GPUs who have "free" electricity. As long as they get something out of mining it will continue. Difficulty must be 100x or so until GPUs are completely out of question.

Shutting down the GPU farms will be gradual as different countries have different electricity rates, the difference in electricity rate can be 10x between to countries.

Major movement in BTC/USD price can make things completely different, GPU mining can end next week if there is a huge crash in BTC price, or it can continue through this year if BTC gains value rapidly.
Svennisen (OP)

Activity: 125
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:26:24 PM

My expected timeline:

ASICs start entering in droves, hashrate and difficulty shoot up.
Remnant GPU miners switch to SCRYPT based coins (litecoin, worldcoin etc.)
BTC hashrate/difficulty drops a bit, and then goes back to it's current trend.

How soon it will happen all depends on how many/how soon the ASIC producers will actually ship any decent amount of the machines. Given that most of them were supposed to be out by now and very few have actually been seen (yet) in the wild, I would be careful about making any prediction about how they will affect the market.

Thanks for answer. Yes I realize that it is hard to predict.

My belief is that people will leave gpu mining in a rather even pace, so that the actual switch to almost 100% asics will not even be seen on the difficulty.

Got help from me? Feel free to tip me Smiley   BTC: 13hrdpUSJWhe2n4g4kTSHEx4GYUF9v5CU3
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:30:33 PM

>> When will the gpu line be crossed?

When my ASIC(s) arrive and not before.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 12:58:26 AM
Last edit: June 09, 2013, 03:44:17 PM by Stephen Gornick

Shutting down the GPU farms will be gradual as different countries have different electricity rates, the difference in electricity rate can be 10x between to countries.

CPU mining fizzled out this same way. Eventually even the bot owners (who stole the compute time + electricity from their marks) quit even though it was still technically profitable because even the small effort put in yielded so little value in return.

GPUs are not returning great profit but still today decently profitable for the typical (paying $0.15 per kWh).   But back a few months ago the prognosis was that "in a few months" it's all over for GPUs.  Well, the ASICs took longer to start shipping in quantity but they are today shipping and this is what is happening without the backorders even coming close to having been cleared:

- http://bitcoin.sipa.be/speed-lin.png

Major movement in BTC/USD price can make things completely different, GPU mining can end next week if there is a huge crash in BTC price, or it can continue through this year if BTC gains value rapidly.

Nope ... an exchange rate rise, even hitting BTC/USD of $500  won't keep the pace anywhere near the difficulty rise.   Start planning some other use for your GPUs.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 01:03:02 AM

Since profit margins vary wildly depending on how efficiently people have set up their rigs, how much their electricity costs, and how much they expect to make off selling their GPUs, it is fair to say that "the GPU line is being crossed now", it's just that the line is thick and some have crossed, some are crossing, and some have yet to cross it. It's also worth noting that it may be worth mining with GPUs for a relative loss for some period after the line has crossed if you assume that BTC will eventually climb further in value, provided you're willing to hang onto them. How long after is a question no one can answer, but there comes a point where you're earning nothing but dust in terms of absolute BTC and by then it's clear (which is the case for CPUs now).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
joele
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 01:26:22 AM

I already stopped mining using my gpu, its more profitable to just buy shares from asic miners securities.
BitcoinBarrel
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2013, 01:27:14 AM

NEVER!!!

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:01:09 AM

Since profit margins vary wildly depending on how efficiently people have set up their rigs, how much their electricity costs, and how much they expect to make off selling their GPUs, it is fair to say that "the GPU line is being crossed now", it's just that the line is thick and some have crossed, some are crossing, and some have yet to cross it.

I believe this to be the case as well, especially with this last difficulty jump given current BTC/USD valuation. I see myself retiring all of my GPU's by Christmas - Don't much see the point in switching the GPU's to LTC (although, I'm open to being convinced otherwise)
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 05:11:10 AM

I feel that the line is already crossed, those who are still mining, I guess will mine until their GPUs are dead and replaced them with ASICs if their electricity bills permit.  Others will have already stopped using GPUs.
Monarch

Activity: 16
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2013, 09:17:11 AM

There are plenty of people mining with GPUs who have "free" electricity. As long as they get something out of mining it will continue. Difficulty must be 100x or so until GPUs are completely out of question.

This is great observation
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: