Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 11:16:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is anyone working on a PCI-E based ASIC hashing module?  (Read 1360 times)
kendog77 (OP)

Activity: 742
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:49:41 PM

Many miners already have GPU mining rigs, and could easily switch out GPUs for PCI-E based ASIC mining cards if such an option was available.  

I would love to see someone put Avalon chips on a PCI-E based card. This seems like a very cost effective transition from GPU to ASIC mining.

Is this technically feasible?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
statdude
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 10:55:54 PM

Many miners already have GPU mining rigs, and could easily switch out GPUs for PCI-E based ASIC mining cards if such an option was available.  

I would love to see someone put Avalon chips on a PCI-E based card. This seems like a very cost effective transition from GPU to ASIC mining.

bump

▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███████████████████████ █
█ █████     █ ▀██████████ █
█ █████     █   ▀████████ █
█ █████  ██ █     ▀██████ █

█ █████  ▀▀ █▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████ █
█ █████  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  █████ █
█ █████             █████ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
  Website
    Twitter
      Gitlab
      Reddit
    Telegram
Whitepaper
  ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▄
█ ███▄    ███████▀   ▄███ █
█ ████▌    █████▀    ████ █
█ ████▌     ███▀     ████ █
█ ████▌▐█    █▀ █    ████ █
█ ████▌▐██     ██    ████ █
█ ████▌▐███   ███    ████ █
█ ███▀  ▀███ ███▀    ▀███ █
▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▀
candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:01:39 PM

its very easy to handle that technically.

You just need the components of a "pcie to usb" on that card..

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:14:24 PM

I'm surprised none of the DIY based Avalon designs are taking this approach.

In theory, it should be easier to put Avalon chips on a PCI-E based card than it is to come up with a complete, standalone mining solution.
candoo

Activity: 602

Vertrau in Gott

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:15:40 PM

In theory, it should be easier to put Avalon chips on a PCI-E based card than it is to come up with a complete, standalone mining solution.

The problem is that you dont have that much space for cooling there. Guess nobody is intrested in developing an extra heatsink with heatpipe.

Einer trage des andern Last, so werdet ihr das Gesetz Christi erfüllen.
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:17:38 PM

The problem is that you dont have that much space for cooling there. Guess nobody is intrested in developing an extra heatsink with heatpipe.

Liquid cooling.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
AdamKD

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 05, 2013, 11:31:26 PM

All Avalon miners really are is extensions of your computer.  Instead of using USB you connect to it through ethernet.

Honestly, I wouldn't want, nor buy, a miner that requires my computer to be on or connects to a motherboard directly and requires a PC motherboard to function.  I'd rather have a specialized box far away in some basement than inside my computer.  It just creates more hassle than is necessary.  

I can see 'casual' miners as PCIe extensions such as 'casual' miners in USB thumb drive format. 

Though honestly, anyone buying a USB thumb drive is doing it more for the novelty than mining.  Same would apply for PCIe cards.    
kendog77 (OP)

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:20:04 AM
Last edit: June 06, 2013, 12:37:35 AM by kendog77

All Avalon miners really are is extensions of your computer.  Instead of using USB you connect to it through ethernet.

Honestly, I wouldn't want, nor buy, a miner that requires my computer to be on or connects to a motherboard directly and requires a PC motherboard to function.  I'd rather have a specialized box far away in some basement than inside my computer.  It just creates more hassle than is necessary.  

I can see 'casual' miners as PCIe extensions such as 'casual' miners in USB thumb drive format.  

Though honestly, anyone buying a USB thumb drive is doing it more for the novelty than mining.  Same would apply for PCIe cards.    

I disagree on the PCIe front. Many miners currently have GPU mining rigs, so if someone could manage to get 10-20 GHs out of an ASICs PCIe mining card, and can run up to six of them per computer, you're talking about some decent hashing power.

The question is relevant as miners sell off their GPU mining rigs. It might be a no brainer to sell the GPUs, but what about the motherboard, CPU, RAM, drives, and power supply? These items typically have a lower resale value than GPUs, so it may make more sense to hold onto them if there is potential re-use value in the future.
btceic

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

♫ A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw ♫

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 12:27:44 AM

+1, this is a good idea and would be a great transition for us hobbyist miners with our antiquated GPU rigs.

I for one would definitely be interested in buying some

♫ This situation, which side are you on? Are you getting out? Are you dropping bombs? Have you heard of diplomatic resolve? ♫ How To Run A Cheap Full Bitcoin Node For $19 A Year ♫ If I knew where it was, I would take you there. There’s much more than this. ♫ Track Your Bitcoins Value
MooC Tals

Activity: 644

View Profile
June 06, 2013, 12:38:25 AM

Interesting topic, wonder what this would mean for the manufacturers as they would be working on obsolete technology. They have put a great deal of hours perfecting what they have now. I don't expect them to give up what they have worked on now to start building asic GPU's.

Might be resistance there. None the less it would be a great selling angle though.

On second thought gpu's are more flexible application wise as asics are specific to one application
Lethos

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

Keep it Simple. Every Bit Matters.

View Profile WWW
June 06, 2013, 12:44:02 AM

Theoretically a single machine could handle;
1-6 PCI-E cards - Would generally be limited to how many and size of boards per machine.
1-100+ USB based "miners" - No limit on size or number of miners per machine (within reason)

Yeah, it's real tough to see why they stuck with USB as an interface *sarcasm*.
Sure it be "nice" if someone did it, but I doubt it will at this rate.

USB based miners often still need external power, sometimes they come with their own adapter, some require a molex or 6 pin for example.
Your machines still have a use, just have to be re-purposed them, asking for a PCI-E based card isn't going to happen any time soon unless you are making it yourself.

As a server guy, I find a lot of use in old hardware, maybe not always for a production server, but hobby level or development area it's fine on non-enterprise grade equipment. That was an advertisement for buying/selling, trust me, I have enough laying around already for my needs.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: