Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:54:51 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you die, what will happen with your coins?  (Read 4140 times)
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1348

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 10:06:50 PM

Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?
I just hope they will search your stuff for it. Many families are so shocked by a loved one dying that they put all their stuff in a room and lock the doors. They want to keep everything untouched as a reminder. Sometimes hoping for that person to come back to all their stuff still waiting in there. There's so many stories of people finding hidden treasures in their newly bought houses.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
posesion19

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:22:59 AM

Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?

Me ? i have a laptop , and my parents know what i do on internet , when i die , they will know and learn how to sell my coin  Roll Eyes
I always save my password and anything on notepad , i hope my parents will know and learn how to sell that  Roll Eyes
Zarevna

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 01:45:51 AM

Is one of my biggest concerns too. I would love to give my private keys to my mom in case that something happen to me but the problem is that I am pretty sure that she wont know how to use them Sad What I was thinking is that would be very helpful if there was something like a virtual will  ?? Roll Eyes   Just an idea   Tongue
Cyberczar

Activity: 369
Merit: 100

Crypto and blockchain writing service

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 02:06:20 AM

Nothing happens to it if your family doesn't know it exists. This is why you have to let someone know about it now you're alive.

Crypto and blockchain writing service
O9NpJ9ld1opS

Activity: 176
Merit: 10

“Blockchain Just Entered The Real World"

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 02:08:24 AM

Not a bad idea indeed. But it's quite risky. What if your relatives never ever check out the usb's. I think you should give a hint about those first or you can also give them your private keys if they are so close to you.
NoomDalv

Activity: 31

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 04:16:53 AM

I'll just probably leave the private key stored in a text file somewhere and hopefully my wife will find it and learn how to use it, if not, it will be lost forever i think?

I can imagine people now leaving the instructions on how to get their bitcoins in their will, or probably in the near future we will have family wallets, if you die your family gets your coins or something similar.
goatsheep

Activity: 4

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 05:53:55 AM

My son will inherit my coins. That would be my last will for him. And of course, I'm gonna introduce bitcoin to him before I die.
Sene90

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:06:36 AM

My sister will get all of them. I have backups ready. Earlier she had no clue about cryptocurrency but she is learning day by day.
apavlen

Activity: 67
Merit: 13

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:10:00 AM

If (when) i will die, my wallets, passwords and other data will be available for my family. I using Google and ather services for this. All the instructions within sent documents.
On of services about this is Google "About Inactive Account Manager"
advjump

Activity: 33

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:12:04 AM

Interesting topic to consider. I would sell all coins for ethereum, and program some smart contract that my family gets the coins (some thought needed to specify this) when I am dead (some thought needed to specify this as well in a smart contract).
albayalde

Activity: 67

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:14:36 AM

Never thinking about that, yes actually no one can access my computer so how can they access my bitcoin wallet / my account on trading web ?
just let it go, you wont be able to bring that coin there.
senne

Activity: 1078
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:24:29 AM
Last edit: October 17, 2017, 08:44:26 PM by senne

Death is simply an uninvited guest, so one should always be prepared, so that in the absence of user there is someone who can have access to the coins. In the banks, user has a appointed a nominee which can access the resources after one's death but there is no such system in Bitcoin. If there is no one in this world whom you want to give your money, then there is no need to create any backup of your keys. Your coins will be there in the system forever which cannot be used by anyone. But if you want to give you coins to someone then just write down proper method to access the coins with keys, so that in case of your death they can have access to the coins.

liviux

Activity: 210
Merit: 112

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:05:26 AM

If you die and don't leave detailed (extremely detailed - for beginners) on how to access the coins, then they are lost forever
jayco25

Activity: 336
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:07:39 AM

just give your private key relatives for security or to your attyy so that if you will die he was the one to manage
Genemind

Activity: 1596
Merit: 335

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:10:25 AM

Hi there

Any other ideas?

I think it will stay in your wallet unless you left someone your credentials. I don’t think they have a feature where when the owner of the wallet is deceased the bitcoins are tranferrable.
moooonu

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:27:53 AM

None else knows my passwords and about bitcoins in my family so it is almost impossible for my family members to get to know about all of my coins after death. So better me stay alive for good Smiley
billysunday2000

Activity: 93

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:59:29 AM

I have heard of a recent ICO - I can not remember the name of it sorry. Perhaps with an internet search you might be able to find it. 

Anyways they had some sort of smart contract written up if a wallet address was NOT active for 3 years then the smart contract would activate and move the funds to a different wallet address.  Thus if you lost your private keys or passed away - after three years you would have your lost funds or your family would recieve the inheritance.  But of course you and your family would have to know the private keys of the address the funds where being sent to.

Not sure how it all worked but I am assuming the private keys where incrypted into the smart contract some how.

Sounds like something that would be a good idea - if it actually works.
foxydoxy

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 06:43:47 PM

You can store your private key in Cloud services like Dropbox or GD and write your account information on a paper and store it somewhere in bank locker, encrypt (ex. MD5) your password with an answer of question that you're sure who you want to share the data with knows. Write a will and let that person knows about your will and the private key and ask them to answer the question decrypt it and they have the password.

splinterMAGIC

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:58:56 PM

if no body know youer private key so they die with you  Undecided
KryptoRene

Activity: 32

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:13:14 PM

I have given my wife instructions for how to get to the wallet if I was to pass away suddenly. Instructions are written down on paper in our house. Hopefully she won't have to, but its worth talking about.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: