Bitcoin Forum
June 08, 2024, 12:18:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: If you die, what will happen with your coins?  (Read 4139 times)
aitorp6 (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 06:49:19 AM

Related to the question, what is best way to give your private keys to your relatives?

What is your strategy? What if that relative takes your coins?
MeRoOo

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 07:23:09 AM

i still did not get real coins to be afraid for
but i will always share my keys with one i trust the most in real life
Tahid12

Activity: 433
Merit: 13

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
October 20, 2017, 06:09:10 PM

Wow great thought. I like to write my all.secret such as  account number,  private key etc and lock it a place like bank. After death,  my family can easily get it from bank author and  can get my money (coin)   Cheesy

SWG.ioPre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15
║ 〘 Available On BINANCE 〙•〘 FIRST LISTING CONFIRMED 〙•〘 ✅ Certik Audited 〙 ║
╙ ›››››››››››››››››››››››››››››› BUY NOW ‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹‹ ╜
Maian

Activity: 257

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:24:55 PM

Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?
If i die all my emportant account will write in the notebook while im still alive, then i will teach my sister in bitcoin for knowing that she can open it. So they will not be able to come to the point that im going to die. They will not be tired anymore and that's all for them.😣
hajimasan

Activity: 882
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 12:36:46 PM

Hi there

I have been thinking about this for a while and I have seen the same question in the Spanish thread. So, if you die do you have a plan to give you currencies to your relatives?

This is mu strategy: I have copied the paper wallets in a usb key, compressed with a password. The usb key contains a file with the instructions to guess the password (you have to know me in person). This usb has been put in my house, in the drawer, with some clothes. So if anything happens suddenly to me, I hope that my family, one day, will remove my clothes off and the usb will appear.    If the follow the instructions the will keep all the money.

Any other ideas?
Here already i planned everything that what will happen with my whole money if I get dead by accident .
I have a friend who is 1000% trusted for me and also I am trusted for me .
I told him clearly that where I pitted my private key of bitcoin and also what is the password system that I use in every site with special character .
In this way I told him that if I will get died then he will call to my family and will withdraw all the money from every exchange and wallet and take 10% of them and give all to my family .
Labay

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 04:20:34 PM

that is a hard one but really effective, my suggestion would be, i will get my diary put all the private key and password then i will place it also into my closet so that if they see the diary, they will think that there is a message for them

❏  ixian    Github -    Discord - ANN -    Telegram - Reddit - Twitter      ❏  ixian
66.6  TRANSACTIONS PER SECOND                 REDEFINING HOW WE CONNECT               GET INVOLVED NOW
██████ Data Streaming Hybrid-Proof DLT  Blockchain based IM  ██████
catgod

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 08:03:56 PM

Hope noone dies man! But if your close people know you have got coins and they have your private keys they can easily got them. Otherwise the coins got loose.
nwahshearthiad

Activity: 134

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 04:08:23 PM

Well, i am curious it too. If a user died and no one knows anything about his bitcoin account what will happen to it? Will the coins the of the user who died will stay there or will it disappear/deleted because of inactivity?
aitorp6 (OP)

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 04:55:10 PM

Well, i am curious it too. If a user died and no one knows anything about his bitcoin account what will happen to it? Will the coins the of the user who died will stay there or will it disappear/deleted because of inactivity?

If the user dies and nobody knows anything about his bitcoins/altcoins they will be in the wallet for ever and ever. They will stay there and not disappear.

I think that if in a far future the system can be hacked, somebody could get the coins.....
TheAndy500

Activity: 1232
Merit: 266

> CAMPAIGN MANAGER < https://t.me/TheAndy500

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 06:46:07 PM

Well I need to give instructions to relatives on how to retrieve them to make that work
That's why I think it's best to have a trusted friend with whom you can even work under certain conditions, and in that situation, it's perfect to pay the family your part.

bunch

Activity: 57
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:18:19 PM

I keep some stuff in a safe, so my wife can find bakups. I’ll have to leave instructions on what to bring to a tech savvy friend. But if both of us check out at the same time....
TaKlarPH

Activity: 168

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 11:55:38 PM

Well what a weird questions there but here whats I think about that question if yours.

Maybe its depends on the time and the hackers they can locate your coins if it doesn't move where you cash out and buy.
redcrystal

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:20:26 AM

It's an interesting question. One for which I do not yet have the answer Smiley
I saw someone say they own lots of USB's and they doubt family will look at them. I am pretty sure eventually someone will. I highly doubt they'd just throw them out.

I actually had a friend who told us about bitcoin many many long years ago (when they were oh so cheap). I worry that he actually did buy some, he died about 7-8 years ago now. I imagine if he did have them, he'd probably just have saved the info on his computer or an email address, which would be long gone. So those BTC's are forever lost :/
aardvark15

Activity: 1008
Merit: 510

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 02:17:58 AM

Hi there

Any other ideas?

I don’t know if this is true, but I have heard that those usb sticks or thumb drives will lose data if they sit too many years not plugged into a computer. I think I’ve heard that they need the charge from a computer about every 5 years to retain the data. Like I said, I can’t say for sure it’s true, but I don’t trust them with my Bitcoins or altcoins. I rely on paper printouts of my public and private keys and store them safely in multiple places that no one will find.
IamJustInTime

Activity: 42

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 04:17:25 AM

Or just put it in a bank cell?
aitorp6 (OP)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:39:10 AM

Hi there

Any other ideas?

I don’t know if this is true, but I have heard that those usb sticks or thumb drives will lose data if they sit too many years not plugged into a computer. I think I’ve heard that they need the charge from a computer about every 5 years to retain the data. Like I said, I can’t say for sure it’s true, but I don’t trust them with my Bitcoins or altcoins. I rely on paper printouts of my public and private keys and store them safely in multiple places that no one will find.

I have heard the same thing, usb sticks can "loose" their memory in several years, due to components degradation memory could be erased. That why I have thought about buy a new stick and change it frequently, let's say once a year. This thing are not expensive so I can afford this strategy.
redcrystal

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:55:11 AM

Hi there

Any other ideas?

I don't think that's true! I've had sticks for years and they still work 100%. I would google the answer if you're really worried. You could always check it every year. It wouldn't die in a year!!
tommy05

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 09:58:17 AM

you should share your private keys within your trusted family member so that the coins will not go to waste and will help them i the future
subSTRATA
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1043

:^)

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 12:58:18 PM

Well I need to give instructions to relatives on how to retrieve them to make that work
Related to the question, what is best way to give your private keys to your relatives?

What is your strategy? What if that relative takes your coins?
ive actually been thinking about this in the shower for the last few days, and i think i've a rough idea of a feasible solution to this: the use of a dead man's switch. if you're not familiar with it, you can read the wiki article on it here, but ill also give a short explanation on this in case you dont.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_man%27s_switch
basically, this is a switch that will operate under the conditions that the owner becomes incapacitated to the extent that they cannot maintain the condition of the switch to remain inactive. the easiest wat to implement this is a timer that constantly counts down, resetting on user interference and will trigger once said timer reaches zero. now, there are services that offer these services, such as sending an email to a designated address / outlet as well as files or anything in the case the user is unable to check in in a given period of time. now, with this implementation, it would be feasible to set a wallet file and the encryption passphrase to be sent to your progeny's email address should you become unable to keep logging in to that service to keep the switch inactive. however, it might be better to use two services, one for the wallet and one for the passphrase for the sake of security in case you don't deem the service providers trustworthy enough. going off of that, it would't be difficult to implement your own switch with a pi setup and some fiddling with code either, might make for a fun project later on.

theres nothing here. message me if you want to put something here.
CrazyDazy

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 01:33:48 PM

My partner not interested in my coins, so they will be lost Sad Sad Sad
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: