Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:14:58 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Oh crap. I was afraid of this.  (Read 5944 times)
hunk

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

And if climate change is true, and Greece becomes much hotter, what do you think happens to the agricultural base of Greece?  Again, economic crisis is the near term problem.  If people in Greece can't grow enough food for their populations due to the heat, the increases in viable farmlands in Siberia and Canada's Northern Territories would more than compensate, but if the Greeks can't afford to trade internationally, they starve.

A valid point,but most of our agricultural products get traded to other EU countries,and for instance we end up buying olive oil from other countries anyway.
That is of course the way the market works.But you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that actually buys olive oil from the store,and not from some "family member" in the village.
So if we end up being unable to trade food,we will turn to our "families" to get some of the food they have stored away.
And maybe get to teach a 75 year old woman how to use bitcoins in the process.

My point was, that if the climate change crazies are right about their worst case predictions, then Greece will have a much hotter & dryer climate, and thus the ag base will not be able to grow as much, limiting the local population in a future with limited international trade.  Your local connections are great, but it's actually impossible for all Greeks to be able to find local food sources in an economic crisis.

I'm pretty sure that it would be easier to get local food sources in a time of crisis...I'm not saying it would be affordable,but if a crisis occurred and people were starving,then the ones with even a limited food supply would be the ones in power.They would,in theory,exploit your hunger to get rich.And it has actually happened before.People giving up their properties for a decent meal.

As for the climate,I'm pretty sure,that unless we get over 50C in the summer and below -10C in the winter we'll be alright.
If I remember correctly olive trees are pretty resiliant to weather.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Bitcoin: the cutting edge of begging technology." -- Giraffe.BTC
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 02:24:28 PM

Well, at least nobody mentioning "global warming by human activity". Did anybody try`s to count how many forests fires are happening every year ? A lot of them. And when media will tire to push that, they still be we us, at relatively same level.

JTaBitCoinKing

Activity: 28

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 02:28:23 PM

Hate to brake it to the eco freaks, but climate change has nothing to do with CO2. Everything Al Gore said in his movie was just to get people to accept this massive scam called carbon taxing, making him a lot of money.

Not that I agree with Oil Drilling, or raping the planet of it's oil reserves. But you should be really carefully to just jump on this whole globule warming bandwagon.

A Far more real eco issue, that Al Gore doesn't give a crap about, is the genetic devastation corporations are preforming on our food supply; Somehow the US government said corporations can patten DNA strains; even strains made by nature. So what corporations have done is patten all the seeds produced by nature, and charge extremely high patten fees to use these seeds (again, seed made by nature). They then make biofreek seeds that can't reproduce, that bugs will not eat, that excretes toxic pesticides, and genetically changes the human bodies that eat it. Yet, not meny Eco freeks seem to care, even though what these corporations are doing is mass genocide on a globule scale.

In closing Globule Warming is BS, and corporations are the devil.
thebitcoinchannel

Activity: 82
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 02:31:02 PM

Bitcoin Report Volume 12 (Bitcoins and Borders)

http://www.youtube.com/user/BitcoinChannel?feature=mhee

RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1145

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 03:22:06 PM

The most frightening thong about global warming is the ability of some people to not "believe" in it. As a scientist I don't believe in things, I understand things.

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 03:44:43 PM

The most frightening thong about global warming is the ability of some people to not "believe" in it. As a scientist I don't believe in things, I understand things.

+1
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 05:18:16 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2011, 05:56:16 PM by phillipsjk

Hate to break it to the eco freaks, but climate change has nothing to do with CO2. Everything Al Gore said in his movie was just to get people to accept this massive scam called carbon taxing, making him a lot of money.

Not that I agree with Oil Drilling, or raping the planet of it's oil reserves. But you should be really carefully to just jump on this whole global warming bandwagon.

A Far more real eco issue, that Al Gore doesn't give a crap about, is the genetic devastation corporations are performing on our food supply; Somehow the US government said corporations can patent DNA strains; even strains made by nature. So what corporations have done is patent all the seeds produced by nature, and charge extremely high patent fees to use these seeds (again, seed made by nature). They then make bio-freak seeds that can't reproduce, that bugs will not eat, that excretes toxic pesticides, and genetically changes the human bodies that eat it. Yet, not many Eco freaks seem to care, even though what these corporations are doing is mass genocide on a global scale.

In closing Global Warming is BS, and corporations are the devil.

Fixed. You may have better luck researching the topic if you actually use the correct spelling.

Edit: grammar left as-is; it is too easy to change the meaning during edits.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
Dobrodav

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:42:18 PM

Hmm, and as common sense man i must see any evidence of this. 26 june  and i am enjoing 16 Celsium. Not a cold record in my region, but it used to be 22 celsium here in that time of year.  And , sorry  i am very , i am mean VERY, very much doubt that you are scientist.

wumpus

Activity: 812
Merit: 1022

No Maps for These Territories

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 05:45:33 PM

I don't think it's so much global warning itself that people "believe" in or not. It's the question whether global warming is an effect of emissions caused by humanity. Which is impossible to prove/falsify, so it is banished to the domain of religion.

Bitcoin Core developer [PGP] Warning: For most, coin loss is a larger risk than coin theft. A disk can die any time. Regularly back up your wallet through FileBackup Wallet to an external storage or the (encrypted!) cloud. Use a separate offline wallet for storing larger amounts.
phillipsjk
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

Let the chips fall where they may.

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 06:08:12 PM

Re: Topic; I don't really understand what "capital controls" really are.
While typing this I tried the Search Engine statring with 'G': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_control

My reading of the is that capital controls may not affect Bitcoin much if local exchanges are used almost exclusively.

James' OpenPGP public key fingerprint: EB14 9E5B F80C 1F2D 3EBE  0A2F B3DE 81FF 7B9D 5160
billyjoeallen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1007

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2011, 06:31:33 PM

Re: Topic; I don't really understand what "capital controls" really are.
While typing this I tried the Search Engine statring with 'G': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_control

My reading of the is that capital controls may not affect Bitcoin much if local exchanges are used almost exclusively.

A government can seize an exchange operating within it's jurisdiction on the claim that bitcoin allows the evasion of capital controls. This doesn't have to be a good legal argument. The State has the guns; they  can do what they want. A smart exchange operator should have a redundant system capable of operating out of more than one country. A smart trader should use more than one exchange to distribute the risk.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
barbarousrelic

Activity: 675
Merit: 502

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 06:35:36 PM
Last edit: June 26, 2011, 07:44:52 PM by barbarousrelic

As of three months ago, and far moreso today, anyone who was still keeping money in Greek banks is a fool. There's a heavy risk of banks being frozen and all assets converted to a new drachma which will swiftly and severely devalue relative to the Euro.

Do not waste your time debating whether Bitcoin can work. It does work.

"Early adopters will profit" is not a sufficient condition to classify something as a pyramid or Ponzi scheme. If it was, Apple and Microsoft stock are Ponzi schemes.

There is no such thing as "market manipulation." There is only buying and selling.
Swishercutter

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:05:37 PM

Hmm, and as common sense man i must see any evidence of this. 26 june  and i am enjoing 16 Celsium. Not a cold record in my region, but it used to be 22 celsium here in that time of year.  And , sorry  i am very , i am mean VERY, very much doubt that you are scientist.

Celsius...that is how the scientists spell it when they are not using Kelvin.
MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 07:42:18 PM

Celsius...that is how the scientists spell it when they are not using Kelvin.

Scientists, yes, but it's spelled a bit differently in common usage depending upon the language.  You understood what he was talking about well enough. 

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
Missy

Activity: 11

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 10:41:42 PM

It's worse than I thought!!

The guy who wrote the article (infavor of capital controls) is the FINANCE MINISTER OF CHILE!!!

That is where Trade Hill's servers are located!

No they aren't.

Code:
>nslookup tradehill.com

Server:         127.0.0.1
Address:        127.0.0.1#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   tradehill.com
Address: 46.21.104.237

>whois 46.21.104.237

inetnum:         46.21.104.0 - 46.21.105.255
netname:         GLESYS-CUSTOMER-SERVERS
descr:           Customer VPS services located in Falkenberg, Sweden
remarks:         INFRA-AW
admin-c:         GLE-RIPE
tech-c:          GLE-RIPE
mnt-by:          GLESYS-MNT
mnt-domains:     GLESYS-MNT
source:          RIPE # Filtered

person:         GleSYS Support
address:        Box 134
address:        31122 Falkenberg
address:        Sweden
phone:          +46-346-738800
nic-hdl:        GLE-RIPE
mnt-by:         GLESYS-MNT
source:         RIPE # Filtered

billyjoeallen (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1106

Hide your women

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2011, 04:59:03 AM

I hope you are correct. I was told 2nd hand that the dervers were don there and there is a disclaimer on the Trade Hill website stating that it's basically incorporated in Chile and complies with Chilean laws.

insert coin here:
Dash XfXZL8WL18zzNhaAqWqEziX2bUvyJbrC8s

1Ctd7Na8qE7btyueEshAJF5C7ZqFWH11Wc
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: