Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:45:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: My friend got 60 extra BTC from his Mt Gox account and insists it is not theft.  (Read 4621 times)
bitcoiners

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:35:50 PM

4.94 of those are probably mine.  They still aren't showing up in my account.  Which makes me wonder how many more people like me still don't have all of their coins.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitcoinminer

Merit: 252

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:37:40 PM

4.94 of those are probably mine.  They still aren't showing up in my account.  Which makes me wonder how many more people like me still don't have all of their coins.

I'd bet a dollar that after a certain time period, any unclaimed ones go into Mt. Cox's wallet.  I'd go one step further, and say they're already there, and they will just pay out AS they are claimed.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
GeniuSxBoY

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:40:31 PM

Lol. Like they can't figure out who this person is by doing a search query for 65 bitcoin transaction && $200 account

Be humble!
kwukduck
Legendary

Activity: 1937
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:41:02 PM

lol i seriously hope you're joking since MtGox is giving me a headache just to get my 20 btc back that were stolen as a result of their security leaks...

14b8PdeWLqK3yi3PrNHMmCvSmvDEKEBh3E
bitcoiners

View Profile
June 26, 2011, 04:42:35 PM

I'd bet a dollar that after a certain time period, any unclaimed ones go into Mt. Cox's wallet.  I'd go one step further, and say they're already there, and they will just pay out AS they are claimed.

Well I've had a support ticket open since I was able to login on their "claims" site.  3 days ago.  Still no response.  Getting real tired of all this shit personally.
bitcoin.monger

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2011, 04:25:14 AM

There is such a thing as "found money". In the US, if you report it to the Police an nobody claims it during a certain period of time, it's yours.
Now, I wonder what would happen if a "found" amount of Bitcoins would be reported. How could someone make a legitimate claim to it?
bitcoinminer

Merit: 252

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 09:51:09 PM

If a $750 lesson in bitcoins helps you learn to keep things that are important to you in life secure, it's a lesson well learned.  Its not much worse than getting your car broken into with a $500 deductible.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful.

-Warren Buffett
SmokeAndMirrors

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 10:12:35 PM

This reminds me of a time about 3 years ago. I woke up one morning, went along with my daily routines then checked my bank account to find there had been $150,000 deposited into my account. It sat there for a couple weeks, so I started spending(about 1 grand). About 2 weeks after that, The money disappeared and I was in $500 overdraft on that account. Taking money that is not rightfully yours == theft. I learned the hard way.

Help Bitcoins by buying clothes, technology, books, etc. through people/stores that accept BTC. This will increase overall value of BTC as well as mitigate unnecessary bank transaction fees.

My address -
1EM9HGg1SEa5Bux1rVEPxGqGSfNTTc9EkC
PatrickHarnett

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 10:21:13 PM

So, I'll put in a fictitious claim that you stole them from "my friend".  Now it is theft and there is a bit-block trace between accounts, and you are an accomplice.

Receiving something not rightfully yours = problem.  Just ask the bank that accidentally deposited $10M into an account and the person skipped to China.
Dobrodav

Activity: 350

View Profile
June 29, 2011, 11:55:57 PM

There was  a riot in the city, after electricity shutdown. My friend join the crowd and take some nice plasma TV from broken shop. He believes that was not a theft. That Shop owner should think better on safety measures in that case.

dooglus
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1330

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 12:10:39 AM

I only used MtGox once.

I deposited 10.00 BTC, sold it, bought it back a little cheaper and tried to withdraw, but it told me I couldn't withdraw because of some problem with PayPal.  I never used PayPal with MtGox; I don't think they even support it.  I reported it to them and they ignored me.  I think the problem may have been that my USD balance was -$0.01 after I tried to spend all my USD for BTC.  So I sold the bitcoins again and bought them back a little cheaper again.  This time my USD balance was $0.00 and I was able to withdraw my 10.17 BTC.  So I made a 17 bitcent profit, realised I had been risking considerably more than I gained, and decided to stop messing about.  My closing balances were $0,00 and 0,00 BTC.

Then the hack happened, and I went through the 'reclaim my account' process just to see how it worked.

When I got back in, I had $0.002 and 0.008 BTC.  I used to have nothing.

It's not enough to worry about, but it makes me think that something is wrong, and if they can get my zero balances a little bit wrong I'm sure they can get other people's balances much more wrong.

I like https://britcoin.co.uk/ - it's commission free, and allows free bank transfers in and out (for UK banks).

Just-Dice                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
██████████████████████████████
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   Play or Invest                 ██             
          ██████████         
      ██████████████████     
  ██████████████████████████ 
    ██████████████████████   
        ██████████████       
            ██████           
   1% House Edge
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 11:31:53 AM

MtGox recently posted some adjustments to people's accounts, to bring the balance equal to the sum of the transactions.

Before assuming that your friend has 60 extra BTC in his account, look back to the early transactions to see whether there is 60 BTC missing. Perhaps your friend didn't notice the discrepancy at the time, due to the lower value of BTC back then.

My MtGox account was credited with some "extra" Gox dollars, but when I looked back to my very first transaction, it didn't show the Gox dollars that should have been on that transaction. The adjustment was actually balancing out that problem, and the resulting balance is probably correct now.
ribuck
Donator

Activity: 826
Merit: 1039

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 11:39:35 AM

Incidentally in many countries there is an offence of "theft by finding". Examples from the UK:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/8315980/Woman-accused-of-theft-after-taking-Tesco-rubbish.html
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1166411/Student-finds-mobile-phone-celebrating-18th-ARRESTED-handing-police.html
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: