Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:00:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: MEW Scam Email  (Read 743 times)
KriptoCoder

Activity: 129
Merit: 17

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 05:19:03 PM

Thanks to this topic I was cautious and today when I saw a suspicious mail I did not respond. Unfortunately, my friend seems to made an mistake. Damage is not big because he did not have ETH in his wallet. Just some tokens. As far as I see on MEW site, there is now a recommendation to install EAL or to use MetaMask in order to protect your self from phishers.

DeepOnion    ▬▬  Anonymous and Untraceable  ▬▬    ENJOY YOUR PRIVACY  •  JOIN DEEPONION
▐▐▐▐▐▐▐▐   ANN  Whitepaper  Facebook  Twitter  Telegram  Discord   ▌▌▌▌▌▌▌▌
Get $ONION  (✔Cryptopia  ✔KuCoin)  |  VoteCentral  Register NOW!  |  Download DeepOnion

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Transactions must be included in a block to be properly completed. When you send a transaction, it is broadcast to miners. Miners can then optionally include it in their next blocks. Miners will be more inclined to include your transaction if it has a higher transaction fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nl247

Activity: 518
Merit: 145

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 08:49:36 AM

Thanks to this topic I was cautious and today when I saw a suspicious mail I did not respond. Unfortunately, my friend seems to made an mistake. Damage is not big because he did not have ETH in his wallet. Just some tokens. As far as I see on MEW site, there is now a recommendation to install EAL or to use MetaMask in order to protect your self from phishers.

Sorry about your friend's loss, it could have been big if he had a lot of funds or tokens in his wallet. The most important way of protecting yourself is just to make sure you are not clicking any external link from your mail as long as it is not a verifiable operation directly from the site itself, which I believe MEW doesn't even do.

Also, though still under little development, but still very usable, there is an application (at least, I know that of android), that allows you to have access to your private key and you can also view your token and transact directly without having to use your PK all the time to login via the web wallet. Work is still being done to allow sending of tokens anyway, but it has been good for safety. Ether wallet is the name for those who may care.
Hamphser

Activity: 2464
Merit: 325

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:20:07 AM

Hey gang, not sure if this has already been passed around but thought I'd highlight a spam email I got attempting to hijack MEW.  I think the site's already down but the email looks really legit and the link in the email is accurate, but it doesn't link to the official MEW site.  I was already suspicious so I went through trying to spot the issues... it actually took me awhile but it shows up in the email address.

As I said, I believe the site is already down but I sent this up to notify just in case, but also to show others how difficult to spot scam.  When you read people complaining about their MEW being 'hacked' it's likely that someone clicked on an email link like the one I got.

Its really to trace or find out the difference on the legit site and the fake (phishing one) If you do really have always on doubts on what you are recieving then make it always a habit on making such investigations regarding if its a legit email or not and as you can found on the email being used.If you do try to see it on first time and you are on a rush then most likely you wont really notice this one but on your second check for sure you will really able to tell the difference. These kind of phishing attempts isnt new anymore and people should really be aware on this one.Always check and review.

███████████████████████
████████████████████
██████████████████
████████████████████
███▀▀▀█████████████████
███▄▄▄█████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
███████████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████
████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████▀▀██▀██▀▀█████████
█████████████▄█████████████
███████████████████████
████████████████████████
████████████▄█▄█████████
████████▀▀███████████
██████████████████
▀███████████████████▀
▀███████████████▀
█████████████████████████
O F F I C I A L   P A R T N E R S
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
ASTON VILLA FC
BURNLEY FC
BK8?█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
PLAY NOW
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
Berk

Activity: 99
Merit: 21

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:25:52 AM

Just had this today and I'm not even sure how they got my email as I'm not used it on any websites related to Bitcoin.
SHAWN-MIDWAYS

Activity: 686
Merit: 521

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 11:51:17 AM

I must say the email content does look pretty good to fool anyone, hope people take precautions to be on the lookout for any errors like the email domain which given them out that this is a phishing attempt.
dunfida
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1129

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 07:09:58 PM

I must say the email content does look pretty good to fool anyone, hope people take precautions to be on the lookout for any errors like the email domain which given them out that this is a phishing attempt.
This is why most people do really easily be fooled into this phishing sites which they do really look legit and the real one.If you do see the templates and the format being used which those scammers did really prepare on the stuff they would use to scam people and for those fellas who don't have much idea on the exact links on the services that they do use will definitely got to logged in on this phish sites.

terrific

Activity: 2114
Merit: 506

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 07:25:12 PM

Just had this today and I'm not even sure how they got my email as I'm not used it on any websites related to Bitcoin.

Maybe you did signed up through different websites and they've bought it somewhere through email marketers. This is what's happening right now, a lot of people are into MEW scam email and not only through them. If you know that you never signed up to any websites then just ignore them because it's better not to waste your time reading those emails that you never did signed up or register for their notifications and update so make sure you don't also click any suspicious links.

.SWG.io.

..Pre-Sale is LIVE at $0.15..

..Buy Now..

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄
```▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄███
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄```▄▄▄▄▄``▄███
``````````````````▄██▀
```````````████████████▄
````````````````````▀▀███
`````````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄████
```▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
`▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄``▄▄▄▄▄▄`````███
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀████
```````````````````▄▄████
``▀▀▀▀▀``▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████
██``███████████████▀▀

FIRST LISTING
..CONFIRMED..

Blake_Last

Activity: 518
Merit: 278

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 02:20:35 PM

I used to receive a lot of similar emails from hackers claiming to be from MyEtherWallet. Some of these emails only change the domain while others use umlaut and superscript to appear as if it were the real MEW URL. If you are not keen enough to notice the difference, you will surely fall into their phishing tricks.

In any case, thanks for informing and sharing this post with us. Hopefully many can read it and avoid being the victim of miscreant hackers.

ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 03:48:31 PM

I'm getting tired of these emails from these scumbags. My email is now flooded with their garbage phishing attempts. Slack has been also the main hunting ground of these scammers. They are all over the place sending PMs to every individual in every crypto channel in an attempt to get some coins from newbies. I just can't believe that the Slack team is not taking any countermeasure against these guys. They're just allowing this to happen.
That slack phishing attempt is becoming unbearable and I really don’t know why slack is not doing anything about it. Scammers have been using this platform to get a lot of people scammed but the complaints to slack is falling on deaf ears. Now, most projects are finding Telegram as the safe ground due to the experience of past projects. Something should really be done about this.
dadandandadan

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:14:43 PM

Hey gang, not sure if this has already been passed around but thought I'd highlight a spam email I got attempting to hijack MEW.  I think the site's already down but the email looks really legit and the link in the email is accurate, but it doesn't link to the official MEW site.  I was already suspicious so I went through trying to spot the issues... it actually took me awhile but it shows up in the email address.

As I said, I believe the site is already down but I sent this up to notify just in case, but also to show others how difficult to spot scam.  When you read people complaining about their MEW being 'hacked' it's likely that someone clicked on an email link like the one I got.

yah, most of the victims of pishing site are just been notify by their emails so better hide your email address on your personal information so that you are not prone to this hackers. There are many pishers that use email to make their mimicking more convincing most pishers send a email like you are notified that you Etherwallet has been log in on different IP address and they are giving a site where you can see the MEW wannabe and by this message most users are been fooled by this and freely give their private keys not knowing that they are already been under scam. So if you receive such mail better double check the site that are given before giving off your private key to avoid such mishap.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: