Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 08:25:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Armory for Mac Constantly Crashes  (Read 879 times)
jlh8888 (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 13, 2017, 11:17:26 PM

Please help.  I put about .7 bitcoins into an Armory wallet four years ago and I just want to get it out of Armory so that I can cash it.  However Armory crashes every single time it tries to Scan Transaction History.  I have tried all the releases of Bitcoin Armory from 93.3 to the latest.  93.3 seems to at least get through the process of Organizing Blockchain and Scanning Database but then crashes at the very end of Scan Transaction History.  The very latest 96.1 won't even run.  Or it runs for just a moment and then crashes immediately.  I have a log but I am wary to post it if there is any private info on there.  I am running OS X El Capitan on a Mac Pro. Please help me. 
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 01:41:58 AM

0.96.1 isn't the latest. Give 0.96.4 RC1 a try. Thanks!
jlh8888 (OP)

Activity: 3

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:16:18 PM

Ok I've installed this version and it says "Armory Cannot Open Because of A Problem"

I have also installed the latest version of Bitcoin Core and have tried EVERY version of Armory available on my new Macbook Pro laptop. AND NONE OF THEM WORK.

I really need to get that bitcoin out of this program but i have been thwarted at every turn by this program.  I am so frustrated.

I will be able to pay back student loans with the bitcoin I put in this 4 years ago.

ALL I WANT TO DO IS RUN THE PROGRAM. SEND MY BITCOIN OUT AND BE DONE WITH THIS.  IT JUST WON'T LET ME.

Please are there any other Mac users of this?  Why won't this work. It shouldn't be this hard.
droark

Activity: 525
Merit: 282

View Profile WWW
October 17, 2017, 03:08:17 AM

Which version of macOS and Armory are you running, what is the exact problem you're seeing, and have you read the README?
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:43:11 AM

Consider setting up a Ubuntu VM on your Mac and installing Armory in there.

els

Activity: 41

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 09:11:21 PM

Consider setting up a Ubuntu VM on your Mac and installing Armory in there.

Looking to to get to a recent version of Armory myself...

Is the above now the only recommended path for Mac users?
(not seeing Mac downloads in the last 2 releases and I had issues w/0.96.1)

Or is building from source per below also still recommended?

Mac OS X Build Instructions
To build Armory on Mac OS X, you can follow the directions found in the “osxbuild” directory in the Armory github project. Specifically:
https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/blob/master/osxbuild/OSX_build_notes.md

Thanks

--Eric
goatpig
Legendary

Activity: 3668
Merit: 1345

Armory Developer

View Profile
October 29, 2017, 10:05:39 PM

Mac is fine as long as you have enough technical background to get the package running or building from source. OSX is a bad platform for open source when compared with Linux and Windows. It is acutely worse when it comes to software that relies on old GUI library, like in Armory's case.

What I am recommending here is how I'd do it I had to use Armory on a Mac: build DB from source and run it on host (OSX) and run the client on a guest VM of some Linux distro (ideally Debian based, that's what I dev on).

gangtraet

Activity: 159
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:42:05 AM

What I am recommending here is how I'd do it I had to use Armory on a Mac: build DB from source and run it on host (OSX) and run the client on a guest VM of some Linux distro (ideally Debian based, that's what I dev on).

Actually, the Mac OS versions you are releasing are usually working just fine Smiley
els

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 06:19:56 PM

thanks.  i'll give both paths a try. 

fwiw, reason i am trying to stick with macOS vm (vs. Ubuntu) on my Mac is being able to mount an external USB3 drive for blockchain DBs.  i have some success with this with macOS vms, but not with Ubuntu.  for Ubuntu, i'll need to place the vm on the USB drive with DBs on the virtual disk (workable, not ideal).

Mac is fine as long as you have enough technical background to get the package running or building from source. OSX is a bad platform for open source when compared with Linux and Windows. It is acutely worse when it comes to software that relies on old GUI library, like in Armory's case.

els

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 06:29:05 PM

Actually, the Mac OS versions you are releasing are usually working just fine Smiley

good to hear.  mind sharing the macOS / Armory versions that have worked well for you, and anything special you had to install or do? 

my prior attempt was with armory_0.96.1_osx.tar.gz and a fresh OS X 10.11 install.  also tried adding some of the more apparent missing dependencies; perhaps didn't try hard enough.  i may give this another shot before going the full-on build route.
gangtraet

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 10:41:21 AM

Good to hear.  mind sharing the macOS / Armory versions that have worked well for you, and anything special you had to install or do? 

my prior attempt was with armory_0.96.1_osx.tar.gz and a fresh OS X 10.11 install.  also tried adding some of the more apparent missing dependencies; perhaps didn't try hard enough.  i may give this another shot before going the full-on build route.

I am using 0.96.3.  For some strange reason OS X is missing from the web page, but it is available from the GitHub release pages: https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases

The one strange thing you have to do is move the Armory.app with Finder after you have unpacked it.  If you do not do this, it will fail to launch.  It is some strange OSX security measure that has this weird side effect.

els

View Profile
November 04, 2017, 03:13:24 AM

Good to hear.  mind sharing the macOS / Armory versions that have worked well for you, and anything special you had to install or do? 

I am using 0.96.3.  For some strange reason OS X is missing from the web page, but it is available from the GitHub release pages: https://github.com/goatpig/BitcoinArmory/releases

The one strange thing you have to do is move the Armory.app with Finder after you have unpacked it.  If you do not do this, it will fail to launch.  It is some strange OSX security measure that has this weird side effect.

Thanks for this!  What OSX version is working for you?  I was trying 10.11...
gangtraet

View Profile
November 05, 2017, 02:04:51 PM

Thanks for this!  What OSX version is working for you?  I was trying 10.11...
I am on 10.12.6 but that should not be critical.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: