Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 01:01:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to get everyday folk interested into Bitcoin  (Read 346 times)
TheGodson (OP)

Activity: 383
Merit: 161

https://nitrogensports.eu/r/4896627

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 10:53:35 AM

There are a lot of computer wiz people that know things about code, block chain technology, decentralization. What do you think the best way to explain to others why they should have Bitcoin and why they should use it?

Honestly, I don't think the majority of people give a shit about decentralization. There is a small group of people that are like "ahhh the bankers, they print more and more money". This is a small group of people and many of them are loners and into conspiracy theories. Most people simply don't care about inflation. The only thing people care about is security of their money, the speed of transactions, and easiness of transactions . A lot of people already feel safe with money as it is. So only the latter two really apply.

I guess the most important thing for Bitcoin is to get its transactions quicker and more convenient.

Is there any way that you can get someone interested in Bitcoin without giving them a novel of information and overwhelming them with complicated stuff about mining, blockchains, nodes, and all that other stuff?

Try and do it in a couple of sentences. I'll give it a go myself:

"Bitcoin is a medium of exchange that enables people to make speedy transactions from their smartphones, computers, and more. It is faster than traditional money, more secure, and cannot be manipulated by any large corrupt entity." (Some of this isn't true yet, but it is the vision for it)

I'm building a list of cool fun things that will get people interested in Bitcoin.

1) "Just by memorizing some jumbled numbers and letters or a simple passphrase you can potentially carry large sums of money in your head! You can get on a plane and fly all the way across the world and you can buy whatever you want instantly."
2) "Bitcoin is basically electronic gold. Its amount is limited in supply, but also a lot lighter to carry than traditional gold."
3) "Bitcoin is the future."
4) "Long ago people said the internet was just a fad. People are saying the same thing about Bitcoin."
5) "A word document is like a webpage in the same way that money is to Bitcoin. It is universal. Someone can steal your computer and claim the word document as theirs. It is a lot harder for someone to steal a webpage when it is on the internet for everyone to see."

Things that turn people off from Bitcoin are:
"The Public key is generated from the private key and you can only get to the public key from the private key and not the other way around. There are 2^256 total combinations of possible bitcoin addresses and blah blah blah blah blah." (Though this stuff is important, it is not a good way to start out)
"Bitcoin miners solve math problems and generate blocks for transactions to go through. During this process they are rewarded a small amount of bitcoin. The next block becomes harder to mine since all the previous blocks must cryptographically match the next block" (The solving math problems is an oversimplification that can be misunderstood. Everything else is information overload and will scare people away)
"Satoshi Nakamoto was the founder of Bitcoin and nobody knows who he is." (This is a terrible way to try and get someone interested in Bitcoin. If someone asks "Who started it?" just say "A team of developers that wanted to enhance the way people use money.")

Most people aren't going to be concerned with how Bitcoin works as much as what it will/can do.

Thoughts?

mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2800
Merit: 3848

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:03:50 AM

1) "Just by memorizing some jumbled numbers and letters or a simple passphrase you can potentially carry large sums of money in your head! You can get on a plane and fly all the way across the world and you can buy whatever you want instantly."
I'm pretty sure this wouldn't make a person interested. "just by memorizing some jumbled numbers and letters". Nope.

2) "Bitcoin is basically electronic gold. Its amount is limited in supply, but also a lot lighter to carry than traditional gold."
I would prefer electronic money instead.

Too vague. People call a lot of newer technologies "the future". I wouldn't use it, as it also sounds like someones trying to sell something.

4) "Long ago people said the internet was just a fad. People are saying the same thing about Bitcoin."
Decent. I suggest also stating to the person that bitcoin is still in it's early stages, therefore not very user friendly at all, just like how the internet was in the past, whereas everything was basically command line. Did people actually call the internet a "fad" in the past though? Sorry, millennial here.

5) "A word document is like a webpage in the same way that money is to Bitcoin. It is universal. Someone can steal your computer and claim the word document as theirs. It is a lot harder for someone to steal a webpage when it is on the internet for everyone to see."
Good point, but remember that bitcoin is easily stolen from people who are not tech-savvy and pretty much don't give a shit about security. Like people who save their private keys on like a Word document or a .txt file.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3346
Merit: 16832

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 12:00:13 PM

There is a small group of people that are like "ahhh the bankers, they print more and more money". This is a small group of people and many of them are loners and into conspiracy theories. Most people simply don't care about inflation.
Most people have debts. Have you ever wondered why almost everybody you know has a debt to the bank? If you did, you must also wonder where the bank gets the money. And the more you understand about how that works, the more you'll realize the debt based fiat money system can't be sustained forever.

Now you sound like a salesman: it sounds nice, but nobody does this.

It can be, but you can't know for sure. By making such a claim, you're presenting one possibility as the absolute truth.

4) "Long ago people said the internet was just a fad.
I've never heard that phrase before. But the fundamental problem with statements like this is: you can only know who was right afterwards. You don't hear about the failed technologies anymore, MMS for example was never called a fad, it was heavily hyped, but nobody uses it.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but Bitcoin has proven to be the riskiest form of money around! In less than 10 years at least 10% of the total money supply has been stolen or lost one way or another.

"Bitcoin miners solve math problems and generate blocks for transactions to go through. During this process they are rewarded a small amount of bitcoin.
That "small amount of Bitcoin" is worth $10 million per day. Now there's a way to get people's attention, until they realize mining is centralized by a few entities with cheap electricity.

I can answer this question for you though:
How to get everyday folk interested into Bitcoin?
You don't! The reason: why would you? What's in it for you? Typically, people who joined a ponzi scheme have a high interest in getting others to join. Actively chasing people to join doesn't look good on Bitcoin.
Don't tell them, show them. This is what I did: I gave someone* 0.1BTC at the beginning of this year. Since then, it went up and down many times, some was spent, and the remainder is worth 3 times more now. He talks about it with others now, totally impressed on the increase in value compared to savings accounts, and some actually bought some too.

I don't advice people on Bitcoin, I make it very clear you can easily lose 90% or more of all money you put in. The rest is up to them.

I would prefer electronic money instead.
Satoshi called is "electronic cash". My bank account holds electronic money, which is nothing like cash.

* I don't give $100 to random people, it's someone I know of course

germa66

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:01:37 PM

There are a lot of computer wiz people that know things about code, block chain technology, decentralization. What do you think the best way to explain to others why they should have Bitcoin and why they should use it?

Honestly, I don't think the majority of people give a shit about decentralization. There is a small group of people that are like "ahhh the bankers, they print more and more money". This is a small group of people and many of them are loners and into conspiracy theories. Most people simply don't care about inflation. The only thing people care about is security of their money, the speed of transactions, and easiness of transactions . A lot of people already feel safe with money as it is. So only the latter two really apply.

I guess the most important thing for Bitcoin is to get its transactions quicker and more convenient.

Is there any way that you can get someone interested in Bitcoin without giving them a novel of information and overwhelming them with complicated stuff about mining, blockchains, nodes, and all that other stuff?

Try and do it in a couple of sentences. I'll give it a go myself:

"Bitcoin is a medium of exchange that enables people to make speedy transactions from their smartphones, computers, and more. It is faster than traditional money, more secure, and cannot be manipulated by any large corrupt entity." (Some of this isn't true yet, but it is the vision for it)

I'm building a list of cool fun things that will get people interested in Bitcoin.

Things that turn people off from Bitcoin are:
"The Public key is generated from the private key and you can only get to the public key from the private key and not the other way around. There are 2^256 total combinations of possible bitcoin addresses and blah blah blah blah blah." (Though this stuff is important, it is not a good way to start out)
"Bitcoin miners solve math problems and generate blocks for transactions to go through. During this process they are rewarded a small amount of bitcoin. The next block becomes harder to mine since all the previous blocks must cryptographically match the next block" (The solving math problems is an oversimplification that can be misunderstood. Everything else is information overload and will scare people away)
"Satoshi Nakamoto was the founder of Bitcoin and nobody knows who he is." (This is a terrible way to try and get someone interested in Bitcoin. If someone asks "Who started it?" just say "A team of developers that wanted to enhance the way people use money.")

Most people aren't going to be concerned with how Bitcoin works as much as what it will/can do.

Thoughts?

the easiest way to get people interested in bitcoin is the way we can prove to others that we can be successful with the earnings of bitcoin.

Lampaster

Activity: 406
Merit: 255

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:12:00 PM

To prove your success with bitcoin will be very difficult. Those who do not believe in bitcoin will always be iron argument. They will say that you are lucky and you managed to buy coins at a low price. Bitcoin is the currency for like-minded people and a man cannot be forced to do it.
hatshepsut93
Legendary

Activity: 2996
Merit: 2148

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:17:38 PM

You could convince some people to buy Bitcoin by using argument from original posts or the ones mentioned in replies above, but I don't see any reason why we should preach Bitcoin to the masses. It already has it's own uses like cheap global transactions, secure private store of value, high investment returns, but those who need those properties are not your everyday folk - they working in finance and already know and use Bitcoin. The truth is, Bitcoin as a currency might not be ready for everyday folk - in can't handle enough transactions, it's not accepted everywhere, its legal status is not completely defined, you have to be experienced user to use it. You can advice it as an investment, but again, it's always better to understand the thing you are about to invest into, otherwise you can make wrong decisions.
AmXProX

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:56:22 AM

You could convince some people to buy Bitcoin by using argument from original posts or the ones mentioned in replies above, but I don't see any reason why we should preach Bitcoin to the masses. It already has it's own uses like cheap global transactions, secure private store of value, high investment returns, but those who need those properties are not your everyday folk - they working in finance and already know and use Bitcoin. The truth is, Bitcoin as a currency might not be ready for everyday folk - in can't handle enough transactions, it's not accepted everywhere, its legal status is not completely defined, you have to be experienced user to use it. You can advice it as an investment, but again, it's always better to understand the thing you are about to invest into, otherwise you can make wrong decisions.

Yes you don't need to teach them to like it let the number make them sway to it. And in the future higher demand and more use of bitcoin will come and they will just accept it.

Betnomi300%█████████████████████   ████   ██
DEPOSIT
BONUS

████   ████
UP
TO
20%█████████████████████   ████   ██
WEEKLY
CASHBACK

████   ████
100%█████████████████████   ████   ██
RAKEBACK

████   ████
█▀▀▀▀▀

█▄▄▄▄▄
Play now!
▀▀▀▀▀█

▄▄▄▄▄█
The_authentic

Activity: 60
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:58:29 AM

This post is really informative for me. well done guys
Shamie1002

Activity: 406
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:01:37 AM

The interest of people in bitcoin will not depend on how you inform them but with the way they understand the whole concept of the digital currency. If they know everything and experienced its greatness as a decentralised currency then they will remain interested and they will keep themselves updated and knowledgeable of its history and the possibilities by its development.
Lipe490

Activity: 602
Merit: 263

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:08:16 AM

I was not interested in bitcoin until 2013 when a friend of mine showed me and explained what it was about. Honestly I never imagined that cryptocoins would be something that would have a future. But when I saw the price jump from 300 usd to 1,000 usd I was shocked and wanted to know more. Of course it was a bit late to come in with some strong investment and after 3 years I once again regretted it. Today I only show the evolution of the currency over time for those who are interested in the currency and I say that if you can invest some money in bitcoin, do it and save it for the future, maybe for your retirement. I believe that there may be several competitors over time, but Bitcoin will always remain at the top and will always be the pioneer in this industry.
cng-

Activity: 23
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 11:23:13 AM

If their motivation would be money, just show them a chart.

Attach famous new articles calling it a "bubble" and "fraud".
Vannie12

Activity: 630
Merit: 130

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 10:35:43 PM

No need for motivation. They can trigger themselves in investing to cryptocoins. Let us be careful in giving informations. There may be false and will be treated as FUD. So instead of helping bitcoin to grow, it may cause decrease in prices. If they are interested, they will try. 
If they are determined, they will keep themselves active.
Kray

Activity: 658
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 08:39:12 AM

yup, advertising is meant to show beautiful things but eventually they also have to learn how the investment and this industry works. Also they should have at least a little knowledge about technical matters. then from "a list of cool fun things that will get people interested in Bitcoin" you mentioned, who will give up their resources to advertise it?
EddyGameta

Activity: 884
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 08:41:28 AM

you can convince people to invest in Bitcoin, but you also have a responsibility to educate them because you’re the one who dragged them into this very risky industry. by spreading the news to the crowds I don’t see the benefit equal to the increase of the weak arms. Bitcoin already has its own market that does require things offered by Bitcoin, for now they are still able to support Bitcoin.
creeps

Activity: 742
Merit: 144

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 09:03:29 AM

To prove your success with bitcoin will be very difficult. Those who do not believe in bitcoin will always be iron argument. They will say that you are lucky and you managed to buy coins at a low price. Bitcoin is the currency for like-minded people and a man cannot be forced to do it.

People should believe in any kind of technology simply because we are used to develop new system and this bitcoin is a great invention that will help you to make more money. Bitcoin is now trend in any part of this world and i am surely your friends will ask you to help them, just show your all transactions and proof that bitcoin is really a good option.
kenkoy

Activity: 126

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 09:11:00 AM

In our country, Inflation is a big deal for us especially if you are saving your money on banks. WHat your money today, will not be the same amount in the next years. Inflation eats our money in the bank. Plus the tax, it will surely eats your money so a lot of people are going to investing. Bitcoin can be interesting. No inflation and the value keeps on increasing evry now and then. Decentralized so there's no billionaire who owns it thru banks. Safety of course thru blockchain tech.

DRAFTCOINS ║║█ CRYPTO PORTFOLIO COMPETITIONS █║║ ANN THREAD
1) Create an account   2) Draft your crypto portfolio   3) Win prizes
[Twitter]▬[Facebook]▬▬▬
truthstalker

Activity: 136

View Profile
October 21, 2017, 09:19:29 AM

Until major companies everywhere and cover every category accept Bitcoin then the 'normal' folk won't be interested. If you have to go through another service to purchase stuff of amazon rather than directly no one will be interested.
waynechong1995

Activity: 644
Merit: 117

swing!

View Profile WWW
October 21, 2017, 09:23:32 AM

Maybe 70% of community doesn't give shit about the technology and just look Bitcoin as an potential investment, the everyday folks you referring might been already comfortable with the current fiats system and doesn't want ACTUALLY to use Bitcoin for other any purposes like ease of payment bla bla you see TENX MONACO's success indicates that people still prefer credit card as the universal payment protocol. Pushing majorities into Bitcoin through your means is like hard sale and simply awareness which doesn't actually make them use it.

MaryCris

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 03, 2017, 07:47:19 AM

The interest of people in bitcoin will depend on how they will understand the concept of cryptocurrency. You may also refer them to informative pages like http://www.propthereum.io, to know more of it's greatness as a decentralised currency and it will be easier for them to build great interest and they will keep themselves updated and knowledgeable of the history and the possibilities of further and greater developments.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: