Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:52:50 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting up warehouse space for mining  (Read 319 times)
shlomo1011 (OP)

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:51:58 AM

Hello everyone,

I am a total crypto-newbie, but I own some warehouse space with cheap electricity and have had interest from people who want to set-up their mining hardware there. I have an electricity line capable of 1500 kWatt and I have security, noise, and cooling issues covered as well. My questions are regarding internet access since that is something I will have to set-up. I have a couple of questions regarding the specs for the internet connection as well as the hardware needed. I expect to get about 20 clients in the first month or two, but this could potentially grow to around a 100 depending on how quickly the miners in my city outgrow their homes.

1.) Most importantly, what internet connection speed do I need? Would 200Mbit/s be enough to start with? At a very high level, how much bandwidth is needed for an average mining rig? Important note: my city is mostly Ethereum and alt-coin miners since Bitcoin ASICs are extremely expensive and hard to come by, hence mining rigs are GPU based.

2.) What special networking hardware is needed? A typical router only has 4 ethernet ports, would setting up extra ethernet switches that connect to that same router do the job or would I need to get industrial 20-40 port routers?

3.) The miners I've talked to don't know anything about remote access since they currently mine at home, but I'd like to give my clients the most control and best service I can, and for security reasons I want to restrict access to the space as much as possible (only for moving in, moving out, or upgrading). I've seen Team Viewer mentioned here as a good solution that is also free, and I've played around with Parsec as well. Is there a better solution that I'm missing? Should I just tell everyone to setup Team Viewer accounts? Does that software require extra network features like Static IP?

That's it for now from me. IF you guys have any questions for me, feel free to shoot. I can't wait to post pictures of the setup, share more details, and help other guys out who want to make something similar. My hope is to get something going within a month, and in the mean time I can learn more about cryptocurrencies and reinvest the income to set-up miners of my own!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rkumar

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:00:56 PM

I suggest you look for books on mining if you still don't get answers here. hopes that helps
NotFuzzyWarm
Legendary

Activity: 3626
Merit: 2543

Evil beware: We have waffles!

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:27:50 PM

Start by browsing through the Beginners & Help section followed by Bitcoin Mining 101 which is very short and to the point.

- For bitcoin to succeed the community must police itself -    My info useful? Donations welcome! 1FuzzyWc2J8TMqeUQZ8yjE43Rwr7K3cxs9
 -Sole remaining active developer of cgminer, Kano's repo is here
-Support Sidehacks miner development. Donations to:   1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr
wavelengthsf

Activity: 658
Merit: 118

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:56:07 PM

1.) Most importantly, what internet connection speed do I need? Would 200Mbit/s be enough to start with? At a very high level, how much bandwidth is needed for an average mining rig? Important note: my city is mostly Ethereum and alt-coin miners since Bitcoin ASICs are extremely expensive and hard to come by, hence mining rigs are GPU based.

200Mb downstream is fine, but you'll also want good upstream as well, especially if you'll let people remote into their machines.

2.) What special networking hardware is needed? A typical router only has 4 ethernet ports, would setting up extra ethernet switches that connect to that same router do the job or would I need to get industrial 20-40 port routers?

Since you're running this as a data center, you want to make sure that users are siloed off. That means you need a good router and networking equipment that lets segment off sections of the network. Don't cheap out here, as if you do, you could risk people seeing the setup and config of other people's networks.

3.) The miners I've talked to don't know anything about remote access since they currently mine at home, but I'd like to give my clients the most control and best service I can, and for security reasons I want to restrict access to the space as much as possible (only for moving in, moving out, or upgrading). I've seen Team Viewer mentioned here as a good solution that is also free, and I've played around with Parsec as well. Is there a better solution that I'm missing? Should I just tell everyone to setup Team Viewer accounts? Does that software require extra network features like Static IP?

If it were me, I'd segment off each hosted customer's network at the switch/router level. I'd then give them a personal VPN account that could only access their IP addresses. This way, they can VPN in and mess with their settings through SSH, AwesomeMiner, cgminer APIs, whatever as if the machines were in their home, but they couldn't access other customers.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: