Bitcoin Forum
June 27, 2024, 01:43:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coming Fork(s) Safety For BItcoins  (Read 2735 times)
Bluestacks

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 07:10:37 AM

First of all, be aware that coin-splits can be somewhat risky — especially controversial ones like the SegWit2x fork. While it seems unlikely for now, there is a chance some kind of cyber-battle will break out, perhaps even escalating to the point where all exchange rates drop sharply. If you want to make sure not to be caught in any crossfire, it’s best to not hold more value in bitcoin than you are willing to lose.

Yes avoid making transactions during the fork guys!
ruskytailz02

Activity: 289
Merit: 103

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 08:25:23 AM

Next hard fork some said that they will copy the blockchain and change the structure and ability of nos. Transaction can make. I think wallets will adopt and soon be able to accept bitcoin cash and b2x if I remember.. the best way now is keep it and your private keys and after or before transfer it to another wallet that support the new split coin produce by hard fork
daberti

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 03:32:00 PM

BTW: BTG fork will happen on the 24th and NOT on the 25th

1 day and 21hrs and some minutes from now
https://btcgpu.org/
daberti

View Profile
October 22, 2017, 03:50:28 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 01:18:44 PM by daberti

Reasons why Bitcoin still safe because of Alt Coins and so does Hard Forks. The first Hard Fork (Bitcoin Cash) was successful and not only to compete top digital currencies but to help Bitcoin to raise the slope of the graph to the top. So then the upcoming Hard Fork (Bitcoin Gold) although nothings' new but basically some good features will be on the pack. These are meant to keep Bitcoin push higher investments rather than destroying it that was mentioned earlier after the first fork.

With my utmost respect this is misleading to say the least.

BCC was a friendly fork with strong replay protection.

BTG could be a friendly fork IF strong replay protection will be implemented, which IT IS NOT YET the case less than one day from fork !!!

SEGWIT2X is a hostile fork, with no replay protection by design (so by design it will allow for double spending, nice eh  Grin ); SEGWIT2X is meant to increase miners incomes and will have all the right things in place to allow for turning BTC into a private game for restricted numbers.
33 of the original 56 signatories of NYA, around 59%, are portfolio companies in the Digital Currency Group (DCG), an investment company run by the principal instigator of the NYA. Even nicer  Grin Grin Grin

Let's mention them all,  that is to say the ones still within NYA:

Abra (United States)
supports    

ANX (Hong Kong)
supports    

Bitangel.com / Chandler Guo (China)
supports    

Bitex (Argentina)
supports    

bitFlyer (Japan)
supports    

Bitfury (United States)
supports    

BitPay (United States)
supports    

BitPesa (Kenya)
supports    

Bitso (Mexico)
supports     

Bixin.com (China)
supports    

Blockchain (UK)
supports    

Bloq (United States)
supports    

BTCC (China)
supports    

BTER.com (China)
supports    

Circle (United States)
supports    

Civic (United States)
supports    

Coinbase (United States)
supports    

Coins.ph (Phillipines)
supports    

Decentral (Canada)
supports    

Digital Currency Group (United States)
supports    

Filament (United States)
supports    

Gavin Andresen (United States)
supports    

Genesis Global Trading (United States)
supports    

Genesis Mining (Hong Kong)
supports    

GoCoin (Isle of Man)
supports    

Grayscale Investments (United States)
supports    

Guy Corem (Israel)
supports     

Jaxx (Canada)
supports     

Korbit (South Korea)
supports    

Luno (Singapore)
supports     

MONI (Finland)
supports    

Netki (United States)
supports     

OB1 (United States)
supports     

Purse (United States)
supports    

Ripio (Argentina)
supports    

Safello (Sweden)
supports     

SFOX (United States)
supports    

ShapeShift (Switzerland)
supports    

Unocoin (India)
supports    

Veem (United States)
supports    

Xapo (United States)
supports

Bottom line:

The ones who left NYA (and will stay with BTC):

Bitwala (Germany)
withdrawn       

F2Pool (China)
withdrawn       

Vaultoro (Germany)
withdrawn      

Wayniloans (Argentina)
withdrawn       

BitOasis (United Arab Emirates)
withdrawn      

CryptoFacilities (UK)
withdrawn      

surBTC (Chile)
withdrawn  

The ones who left for BCC:

1Hash (China)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

BitClub Network (Hong Kong)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

Bitcoin.com (St. Kitts & Nevis)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

Bitmain (China)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

btc.com (China)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

BTC.TOP (China)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

ViaBTC (China)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash    

Yours (United States)
moved on to Bitcoin Cash

You can easily guess the reasoning behind that moving to BCC  Wink
castiel0504

Merit: 109

Ultra Mega Giga Super Cool Flying Oposum!

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:23:04 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 07:36:36 PM by castiel0504

Its happening in 8.5h from now on http://prntscr.com/h12q3l

Thanks to your post i've managed to take my BTC from Nicehash! If i didn't see it i would miss the window totally!!
Thank you again!

salihno71

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 07:42:25 PM

Just wondering, as I am reading a lot about Fork risks especially with bitcoin gold.

I have the private keys (the 12 words) safely stored.

What if I simply uninstall the wallet that has my BTC (it is Jaxx by the way) before the fork, then reinstall later and recover from the 12 keywords. Would that be ok or will be risk?

Would my BTC remain BTC or can accidentally be changed to BTG?

What safest wallet?

Your help highly appreciated.

12 words you have stored is not a private key. Private key is related to the to the address and not to the wallet: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Private_key 12 words is the recovery phrase for the wallet.
daberti

View Profile
October 23, 2017, 08:33:37 PM
Last edit: October 23, 2017, 11:37:04 PM by daberti

Its happening in 8.5h from now on http://prntscr.com/h12q3l

Thanks to your post i've managed to take my BTC from Nicehash! If i didn't see it i would miss the window totally!!
Thank you again!

You’re welcome 😉

EDIT: almost certainly will happen within 02:00 GMT
daberti

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 11:18:44 PM

I'd like to share some more info with you:

Bittrex stance regarding BTG:
https://support.bittrex.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002320451-Statement-on-Bitcoin-Gold-BTG-

BitPanda's one, including SegWit2X:
http://mailchi.mp/coinimal/bitpandas-fork-policy?e=4d6a54d0c9

Coinbase:
https://blog.coinbase.com/timeline-and-support-bitcoin-segwit2x-and-bitcoin-gold-eda72525efd
Inside this post pay due attention to this part: "Approximately 24–48 hours post fork. Once we have ensured that the blockchains are stable, Coinbase will re-enable Bitcoin and Bitcoin2x sends and receives. Please be careful when sending funds as certain wallets and bitcoin services may refer to the two blockchains differently.".
I'll confess I couldn't help thinking to the words "ludicrous and sneaky". As I said before Coinbase is part of NYA. Segwit2X won't have BY DESIGN Replay Protection.
Logical consequence: double spending. They say "certain wallets...may refer....". It is a masterpiece of twisting the truth, which is that SEGWIT2X has NOT done anything to avoid that. It is NOT wallets' fault. Oh, if at fork's date you'll have let's say 20BTC Coinbase will take care of adding 20B2X to your deposits. Fantastic, but what about BTC withdrawal after 24-48hrs? They are NOT saying that these they'll be sent to an address belonging to BTC blockchain, and be ready to learn that this will be a fault of these shitty wallets. Go figure!

Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 07:50:58 AM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 12:05:40 PM by Kingofbitcoin12345

For now,, as I have received my bitcoin equivalent from bitcoin cash fork last August from the exchange wallet that I’ve been using.. I’m a less worried about any fork that might come.. I have to spread the news as it feels more hassle free for me and a not risky at all.. I’m just waiting for any updates from them for this October 25th bitcoin Gold fork and November Segwit2.. It should be wiser to ask your service provider customer support for this kind of updates..
That is the thing I was going to do too but then there are no updates from any exchanges other than Yobit yet regarding the fork. The last time I had kept my coins on Bittrex since it was supporting the fork and I got my equivalent amount but there is no word from them too.
So its quite difficult now to say what to do if the exchanges wouldn't be supporting it like the last time. Better to keep the coins with a private key aside to be on the safer side.

Good for me,, as I have received an update not officially but from one of they’re support team that we can claim bitcoin gold equivalent to our bitcoin holdings but to transfer to an bitcoin wallet address because they don’t support this fork.. But maybe I need more clarification on the Segwit2x or they don’t include as they might be discussing it for now..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
azguard
Legendary

Activity: 1484
Merit: 1001

Crypto-News.net: News from Crypto World

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 12:08:00 PM

For now,, as I have received my bitcoin equivalent from bitcoin cash fork last August from the exchange wallet that I’ve been using.. I’m a less worried about any fork that might come.. I have to spread the news as it feels more hassle free for me and a not risky at all.. I’m just waiting for any updates from them for this October 25th bitcoin Gold fork and November Segwit2.. It should be wiser to ask your service provider customer support for this kind of updates..
That is the thing I was going to do too but then there are no updates from any exchanges other than Yobit yet regarding the fork. The last time I had kept my coins on Bittrex since it was supporting the fork and I got my equivalent amount but there is no word from them too.
So its quite difficult now to say what to do if the exchanges wouldn't be supporting it like the last time. Better to keep the coins with a private key aside to be on the safer side.

Good for me,, as I have received an update not officially but from one of they’re support team that we can claim bitcoin gold equivalent to our bitcoin holdings but to transfer to an bitcoin wallet address because they don’t support this fork.. But maybe I need more clarification on the Segwit2x or they don’t include as they might be discussing it for now..

This depends where you are keeping your coins, if you are having on some exchanges that are not supporters of bitcoin gold then i presume that you/he/me wont receive bitcoin gold at all. Off course this dont need to be the case, maybe they will latter adopt this but necessary at all. Some choose this other dont.

▄▄▄██████▄▄▄
          ▄██████████████████▄
       ▄████████████████████████▄
 ▄▄  ▄████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████████▄
 ▀▀█████████████████████████████████▄
   ██████████████████████████████████
   ▀████████████████████████████████▀
    ▀██████████████████████████████▀
     ▀▀██████████████████████████▀
        ▀██████████████████████▀
           ▀▀▀████████████▀▀▀

Baggong

Activity: 247
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:16:59 PM

This is the thing that makes me trouble, I do not like fork events for making confused, I hope there is no fork or segwit anymore, because it will hinder the bitcoin price increase.
daberti

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 01:50:43 PM

BTG
1) there is a high chance that there will be an ICO sell of pre-mined BTG
2)BTG futures are consequently experiencing a dump
3)When BTG wallet will be ready its source code will have to be examined under security aspects and ICO sell maybe will have happened.
4)DON'T leave your BTC on exchanges

EDIT:
Remember that SEGWIT2X fork will happen at block 494,784
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:36:23 PM

I hope there is no fork or segwit anymore, because it will hinder the bitcoin price increase.

The main problem here are the malicious miners, which at the same time happen to be insanely influential in what they do. It has nothing to do with the protocol anymore, but more with the fact that a fork is the road to millions of dollars in instant profits, especially for the large holders behind the scenes. In case of the BG fork, it's obvious that there is only one motive that pops up, and that's their blatant greed. 200K in premine is beyond insane, and they believe to get away with it like it's just a normal thing. I have noticed that throughout the internet, there has been somewhat of a fork Gold fever, where people actually look forward to forks, while they previously were afraid that it could even damage Bitcoin. Again, greed.
darkangel11
Legendary

Activity: 2394
Merit: 1349

Don't let others control your BTC -> self custody

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 03:55:16 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 05:27:47 PM by darkangel11

BTG
1) there is a high chance that there will be an ICO sell of pre-mined BTG
2)BTG futures are consequently experiencing a dump
3)When BTG wallet will be ready its source code will have to be examined under security aspects and ICO sell maybe will have happened.
4)DON'T leave your BTC on exchanges

EDIT:
Remember that SEGWIT2X fork will happen at block 494,784

Are you sure? I've read that it was to be at 491407.  Huh
Currently it's 491681, so we are getting closer. I was almost certain that it will happen today, on Wednesday.

If that's the case we have an interesting situation where Yobit allowed me to sell my BTG and withdraw BTC before the fork. My BTC got sent to another exchange that is supposed to give users BTG after the fork, which means that I might get my BTG twice  Shocked I'm really confused unless you were wrong with the block number.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███
.Duelbits.
..........UNLEASH..........
THE ULTIMATE
GAMING EXPERIENCE
DUELBITS
FANTASY
SPORTS
████▄▄█████▄▄
░▄████
███████████▄
▐███
███████████████▄
███
████████████████
███
████████████████▌
███
██████████████████
████████████████▀▀▀
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
▬▬
VS
▬▬
████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄
░▄████████████████▄
▐██████████████████▄
████████████████████
████████████████████▌
█████████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████▌
███████████████▌
████████████████
████████████████
████████████████
████▀▀███████▀▀
/// PLAY FOR  FREE  ///
WIN FOR REAL
..PLAY NOW..
daberti

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 06:12:52 PM
Last edit: October 25, 2017, 11:08:03 PM by daberti

Are you sure? I've read that it was to be at 491407.  Huh
Currently it's 491681, so we are getting closer. I was almost certain that it will happen today, on Wednesday.

If that's the case we have an interesting situation where Yobit allowed me to sell my BTG and withdraw BTC before the fork. My BTC got sent to another exchange that is supposed to give users BTG after the fork, which means that I might get my BTG twice  Shocked I'm really confused unless you were wrong with the block number.

I said SEGWIT2X NOT BTG.
BTG fork has already happened, though not witnessed by any mining.
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:24:27 AM

This depends where you are keeping your coins, if you are having on some exchanges that are not supporters of bitcoin gold then i presume that you/he/me wont receive bitcoin gold at all. Off course this dont need to be the case, maybe they will latter adopt this but necessary at all. Some choose this other dont.

Nope,, even my bitcoin wallet is an exchange and not supporting the bitcoin Gold fork.. They give us assurance as they’re client that they will release the bitcoin gold equivalent but for us to provide bitcoin gold address that will receive it.. They do it with bitcoin Cash and I’m still sure they will even on Segwit2x.. That’s why I do trust them for they’re always be the best in my eyes..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
limopc (OP)

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:42:55 PM

Now,  I have my BTC in a paper wallet before BTG Fork, plus some in Jaxx after the BTG fork.

Still couldn’t find a way to claim my BTG... anybody knows howto?

For the next fork B2X, should I move my latest BTC from Jaxx to paper wallet before the B2X fork?

How to claim the B2X?
marky89

Activity: 756
Merit: 502

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 10:58:11 PM

Now,  I have my BTC in a paper wallet before BTG Fork, plus some in Jaxx after the BTG fork.

There is still no Bitcoin Gold network. It's really weird that exchanges like Bitfinex are treating it as if BTG is a real coin as opposed to a coin split contract or futures contract. The code is broken, there is no replay protection, and there is no network. BTG literally doesn't exist. So, wallet software will not allow you to claim any...this is correct.

For the next fork B2X, should I move my latest BTC from Jaxx to paper wallet before the B2X fork?

How to claim the B2X?

Regarding the fork, there is no reason to move BTC from Jaxx to a paper wallet. You control your private keys on Jaxx, so you should have access to both your BTC and B2X after the fork. Claiming the B2X is a bit tricky because there is no replay protection. I would wait until some good tutorials emerge on how to separate the BTC from B2X. If you're not careful, you might lose BTC in the process.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
daberti

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 11:00:37 PM

How to claim the B2X?

You cannot claim BTG until a wallet for it will be released and tested for safety by the community.
FYI the BTG fork has to be mined yet and its mainnet is not yet up and running with Replay-protection tested and running.
limopc (OP)

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 11:08:23 PM

Thanks guys,

The main concern I see is the replay protection for both B2X and BTG.

So, simply having BTC in Jaxx where I have my private keys should not be a problem.

But, what if Jaxx decided after the fork(s) to follow the new blockchains and not the BTC blockchain? This means that my BTC will be automatically converted to the new chain! Then if B2X is 0.5 BTC then my “money” will be valued at half, 500 usd instead of 1000 usd.

It is so critical. What is the best way not to lose BTC or lose value (in usd)?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: