Bitcoin Forum
June 22, 2024, 09:09:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The Coming Fork(s) Safety For BItcoins  (Read 2731 times)
limopc (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:23:07 PM

Just wondering, as I am reading a lot about Fork risks especially with bitcoin gold.

I have the private keys (the 12 words) safely stored.

What if I simply uninstall the wallet that has my BTC (it is Jaxx by the way) before the fork, then reinstall later and recover from the 12 keywords. Would that be ok or will be risk?

Would my BTC remain BTC or can accidentally be changed to BTG?

What safest wallet?

Your help highly appreciated.
Aura

Activity: 518
Merit: 268

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:56:15 PM

If you have your private key stored, you're perfectly fine.
You can import this any moment in any Bitcoin wallet client, make sure it is verified safe. You can find a whole list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet. So uninstalling won't be a problem as long as you have your private key stored. The fork can not accidentally change your BTC to BTG, the fork is a copy of Bitcoin's current blockchain which will split after 25 October. Every BTC you have now will correspond to one BTG. Both wallets will have the same private key, so make sure you import it to a verified BTG client. Otherwise your key can get stolen. A good solution for this is sending your BTC to a new wallet after 25 October and then importing the old wallet key in a BTG client. The safest wallet is just personal preference, Armory is in my opinion the safest wallet. But it is quite complicated. Electrum or Core are more user friendly.
Emerge
Legendary

Activity: 854
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 12:59:28 PM

First of all, be aware that coin-splits can be somewhat risky — especially controversial ones like the SegWit2x fork. While it seems unlikely for now, there is a chance some kind of cyber-battle will break out, perhaps even escalating to the point where all exchange rates drop sharply. If you want to make sure not to be caught in any crossfire, it’s best to not hold more value in bitcoin than you are willing to lose.
thebanker28

Activity: 303
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:01:24 PM

You can import this any moment in any Bitcoin wallet client, make sure it is verified safe. You can find a whole list here: https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet. So uninstalling won't be a problem as long as you have your private key stored. The fork can not accidentally change your BTC to BTG, the fork is a copy of Bitcoin's current blockchain which will split after 25 October. Every BTC you have now will correspond to one BTG. Both wallets will have the same private key, so make sure you import it to a verified BTG client. Otherwise your key can get stolen. A good solution for this is sending your BTC to a new wallet after 25 October and then importing the old wallet key in a BTG client. The safest wallet is just personal preference, Armory is in my opinion the safest wallet. But it is quite complicated. Electrum or Core are more user friendly.
That seems to be a prett good point to me about sending your BTC to a newly generated address after a fork, one other small point, that may or may not be practical is, if possible to avoid making transactions around the time of the fork.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
 ▀▀██████████████████████▄▄
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
thebanker28

Activity: 303

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:04:51 PM

First of all, be aware that coin-splits can be somewhat risky — especially controversial ones like the SegWit2x fork. While it seems unlikely for now, there is a chance some kind of cyber-battle will break out, perhaps even escalating to the point where all exchange rates drop sharply. If you want to make sure not to be caught in any crossfire, it’s best to not hold more value in bitcoin than you are willing to lose.
Hopefully it doesnt come to that but I guess this is high stakes.

▄▄████▄▄
        ▄▄██████████████▄▄
      ███████████████████████▄▄
      ▀▀█████████████████████████
██▄▄       ▀▀█████████████████████
██████▄▄        ▀█████████████████
███████████▄▄       ▀▀████████████
███████████████▄▄        ▀████████
████████████████████▄▄       ▀▀███
▄▄        ▀██████████████████████▄
████▄▄        ▀▀██████████████████
█████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████████
█████████████▄▄        ▀▀█████████
██████████████████▄▄        ▀▀████
▀██████████████████████▄▄
  ▀▀████████████████████████
      ▀▀█████████████████▀▀
           ▀▀███████▀▀

.SEMUX
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
  Semux uses 100% original codebase
  Superfast with 30 seconds instant finality
  Tested 5000 tx per block on open network
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
limopc (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:20:49 PM

Thanks guys,

So what I understand all what I have to do is to keep my Jaxxx wallet as it is, but I should only refrain from moving bitcoins during or after the fork. No need to uninstall and reinstall. Am I getting it right?
chesegrinder

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:29:45 PM

as long as you hold your private key it is safe even you accidentally uninstall your wallet on your computer just download it again and insert your private key. To the upcoming fork this october 25 in my opinion it is safe to avoid any transaction during and the fork I experience having trouble last fork of august as i accidentally send a 0.3BTC in one of my wallet, it took 3 day or 4 days before i received it, at first i think it was lost on the blockchain.

aizen10

Activity: 546
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:44:57 PM

Just wondering, as I am reading a lot about Fork risks especially with bitcoin gold.

What if I simply uninstall the wallet that has my BTC (it is Jaxx by the way) before the fork, then reinstall later and recover from the 12 keywords. Would that be ok or will be risk?

What safest wallet?

yes its always safe, because you have your secret 12 word phrase to full control your bitcoin wallet even you uninstall it and reinstall again after or during the fork, i think the risk is on the out side (blockchain) if you do transfer your bitcoin during the hard fork theres a chance to lose that bitcoin, so wait until the fork finish and dont make any transaction during hard fork to avoid losing bitcoin on the blockchain.
Bunsomjelican

Activity: 812
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:56:49 PM

You've almost gave a good advised and opinion to anyone here in the forum. And those wallet you had mentioned was also quite proven and tested too which is Electrum wallet, and the most important was keeping the private key and the seed phrase in the wallet of course.
Marileno

Activity: 215
Merit: 101

✔ Crypto portfolio | ✔ Telegram/APP

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 01:59:31 PM

These splits are extremely confusing and i am against them. The whole concept is complex enough to get across to main stream people. It appears as though they are necessary though. I wish there were some definitive explanations on these in a centralised place, so the information put out is consistent and accurate. Can anyone point me to such a resource?

apologies is this has already been asked and answered.
californiaquail

Activity: 270
Merit: 130

DeLouvois.com Bitcoin Luxury Marketplace Est. 2016

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 02:30:24 PM

These Bitcoin clones are f****g disgusting.

This is textbook financial terrorism, if anything this is what will bring Bitcoin to its knees.

It's not even about complexity for users, it's about brand parasitism and using bitcoin fame against its value without any kind of legitimacy. 

Now of course what kind of greedy idiot wouldn't want free money ? Whoever is behind those Bitcoin clones, they found a weak spot in people's greed.

At the end of the day, this is going to hurt bitcoin more than anything ever attempted by its ennemies, mark my words this will bring Bitcoin down, eventually.

MONSUN

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:40:58 PM

Read congestion and  backlog is back in network .. time again increased for confirmation .. will bitcoin ever server micro payments ?
okbit

Activity: 259

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:52:30 PM

As long as you have your private keys you are good. Has anyone heard for sure what Coinbase's position will be?
Nicol3

Activity: 420

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:58:05 PM

Thanks guys,

So what I understand all what I have to do is to keep my Jaxxx wallet as it is, but I should only refrain from moving bitcoins during or after the fork. No need to uninstall and reinstall. Am I getting it right?

Yes that's correct. Your bitcoins are safe in your Jaxxx wallet for as long as your are not making any transactions around the fork timeframe. I do have a couple of bitcoins stored in my Jaxxx wallet too so I can actually relate to what you are concerned about.

khufuking

Activity: 840
Merit: 266

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:01:22 PM

Your BTC should be safe  unless you tried to claim your coins from the other chain , Just keep you coins and do not make any transaction at the time of fork . And as stated above never try to claim your coins  before move your BTC to new address and just use your old address private keys to claim you coins , Until this moment  it is not clear if there will be a real strong reply protection or not . I am sure when time come close there will be some guides related to how to claim your coins safely .
limopc (OP)

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:53:34 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2017, 12:05:20 AM by limopc

Your BTC should be safe  unless you tried to claim your coins from the other chain , Just keep you coins and do not make any transaction at the time of fork . And as stated above never try to claim your coins  before move your BTC to new address and just use your old address private keys to claim you coins , Until this moment  it is not clear if there will be a real strong reply protection or not . I am sure when time come close there will be some guides related to how to claim your coins safely .

This sounds great.

So, I should send to myself all my BTC after the fork and after things get stable. Should I send to same wallet (Jaxx) or to another wallet (Bread)?

Then I should claim my new BTG from the old wallet?

But why send to myself if it will remain in same wallet?

So, no need to uninstall wallet then reinstall, just don’t make transactions?
Kingofbitcoin12345

Activity: 462
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:45:04 AM

For now,, as I have received my bitcoin equivalent from bitcoin cash fork last August from the exchange wallet that I’ve been using.. I’m a less worried about any fork that might come.. I have to spread the news as it feels more hassle free for me and a not risky at all.. I’m just waiting for any updates from them for this October 25th bitcoin Gold fork and November Segwit2.. It should be wiser to ask your service provider customer support for this kind of updates..

____________yahoo62278 CAMPAIGN MANAGER________  ◥◥  The Best & Most Popular Manager  ◤◤  ____________
ICO Manager          Bounty Manager          Signature Campaign Manager          Twitter Campaign Manager
█████████████████████████   ADD "yahoo62278" on Telegram & Skype   █████████████████████████
limopc (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:39:23 AM

Your BTC should be safe  unless you tried to claim your coins from the other chain , Just keep you coins and do not make any transaction at the time of fork . And as stated above never try to claim your coins  before move your BTC to new address and just use your old address private keys to claim you coins , Until this moment  it is not clear if there will be a real strong reply protection or not . I am sure when time come close there will be some guides related to how to claim your coins safely .

This sounds great.

So, I should send to myself all my BTC after the fork and after things get stable. Should I send to same wallet (Jaxx) or to another wallet (Bread)?

Then I should claim my new BTG from the old wallet?

But why send to myself if it will remain in same wallet?

So, no need to uninstall wallet then reinstall, just don’t make transactions?

Any inputs?
dificanovi

Activity: 812
Merit: 105

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 05:03:09 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2017, 05:16:00 PM by dificanovi

What safest wallet?

I think you do not need to delete BTC. I suggest you still have BTC wallet because your coin will be safe on BTC wallet. if you want to have BTG no need to delete BTC, you better have both.

pawanjain

Activity: 2716
Merit: 720

Nothing lasts forever

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 05:14:57 PM

For now,, as I have received my bitcoin equivalent from bitcoin cash fork last August from the exchange wallet that I’ve been using.. I’m a less worried about any fork that might come.. I have to spread the news as it feels more hassle free for me and a not risky at all.. I’m just waiting for any updates from them for this October 25th bitcoin Gold fork and November Segwit2.. It should be wiser to ask your service provider customer support for this kind of updates..
That is the thing I was going to do too but then there are no updates from any exchanges other than Yobit yet regarding the fork. The last time I had kept my coins on Bittrex since it was supporting the fork and I got my equivalent amount but there is no word from them too.
So its quite difficult now to say what to do if the exchanges wouldn't be supporting it like the last time. Better to keep the coins with a private key aside to be on the safer side.

███████████████████████████
███████▄████████████▄██████
████████▄████████▄████████
███▀█████▀▄███▄▀█████▀███
█████▀█▀▄██▀▀▀██▄▀█▀█████
███████▄███████████▄███████
███████████████████████████
███████▀███████████▀███████
████▄██▄▀██▄▄▄██▀▄██▄████
████▄████▄▀███▀▄████▄████
██▄███▀▀█▀██████▀█▀███▄███
██▀█▀████████████████▀█▀███