Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 03:08:32 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are Segwit & smart contracts the key to Artbyte's growth?  (Read 218 times)
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 02:43:11 PM
Last edit: October 14, 2017, 03:38:40 PM by okbit

Here is a quote from Artbyte's announce thread:

Why is ArtByte so excited about SegWit?

There are many benefits, Lightning Network, MAST, Atomic Swaps, etc., but since ArtByte is the dominate crypto for artists around the world,

MAST and smart contract capabilities will be the main benefit to artists. From recent press on ArtByte:

"One of the biggest problems in the art world today is the fair distribution of income for creative rights holders. This includes musicians, writers, film makers, painters, photographers, actors, etc.

Segwit opens the door to new technologies capable of solving this problem. In the past only Ethereum type coins could help in this issue"

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SL125

Activity: 89
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:44:17 PM

Segwit opens the door to new technologies capable of solving this problem. In the past only Ethereum type coins could help in this issue"

There was a post on these forums the other day, showing that only 5 coins have smartcontract capability. This is huge for Artbyte
Anndrianno

Activity: 185
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 03:52:02 PM

I should be by no means considered as an expert in that issue, however I'm entitled to presume that smart contracts are just another thing, which every project is obliged to have not Because it's useful or is an integral part of the idea (despite some cases when it's really crucial for the accomplishment of the project), but for marketing purposes as without escrow and all the stuff the project doesn't look like a "cutting edge" one. So in this case it's more marketing than a necessity. However, I guess that it will work and push both price and demand to new heights

Similificator

Activity: 882
Merit: 403

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 04:06:00 PM

I should be by no means considered as an expert in that issue, however I'm entitled to presume that smart contracts are just another thing, which every project is obliged to have not Because it's useful or is an integral part of the idea (despite some cases when it's really crucial for the accomplishment of the project), but for marketing purposes as without escrow and all the stuff the project doesn't look like a "cutting edge" one. So in this case it's more marketing than a necessity. However, I guess that it will work and push both price and demand to new heights

nice points you got there mate, and I couldn't agree more. Even if the purpose is good, we are already trapped in the mentality that most of the time, price and demand are the main reasons for segwits. And that is because most of them coins, do it for this reason.
okbit (OP)

Activity: 259
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 04:47:42 PM

I don't disagree that most of the coins added SegWit just for marketing.

But Artbyte has the clearest purpose of any coin to add SegWit. Opening up the technology for smart contracts enhances Artbyte's mission and brings it to all types of artists, not just musicians (as musicoin did as an Ethereum token).

It is not just the Artbyte Music Store that will benefit, but writers, actors, visual artists, film makers - all artists will benefit

sunk818

Activity: 1176
Merit: 111

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 06:29:58 PM

If you want to support an artist long-term (trust, foundation, or even sugar daddy type situation), you need a smart contract that can dole out funds on a frequency you define. I'm sure there will be many uses via smart contracts, but this seems like the most obvious.

BlackTurtle

Activity: 51
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 06:37:35 PM

I know waves is going to implement it also.
So I think more and more coins will have it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: