Bitcoin Forum
May 29, 2024, 02:45:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Research Shows Half a Billion People Are Mining Cryptocurrencies Without Knowing  (Read 308 times)
sheld0n (OP)

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 08:52:02 PM

The company behind the ad blocking program Adguard has analyzed the most popular 100,000 websites for cryptocurrency mining scripts. They found that over 500 million people have been mining cryptocurrencies and “they have no idea it is happening.” Each website running the script earns an estimated $43,000 within the three-week period studied.

Wow this is an amazing number  Shocked
Boseda

Activity: 448

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:02:43 PM

Yes and there are also many botnet which mine cryptocoins and people who undergo such attacks keep on using their computers without knowing.
949miner

Activity: 448

Stake & Vote or Become a IoTeX Delegate!

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:23:26 PM

This is script is amazing, i dont know how does it works, but it is good for me because we dont have too see those anoying ads anymore in the sites that are using this plugin.
all those websites that are using it seems like they are earning hundreds of dollars everyday only by this revenue, and they are earning it in bitcoins, so it is more profitable for them.
But a lot of people were mining cryptos without their concern, because a lot of them were using miners installed by a hacker.

`^cder.         
          '-`ryRQQ#@@#O}-      
       .)ydi`!]PQQ#@@@@@#d}!   
  `:'`rU9660ZL:')TZ@@@@@@####O)
  `lVx<,:xWg@@@#g)iQB##@@##@@@M
  `lVcyWRBsy@@Q8Z*iQQQQB##@@@@M
  `x|G#@@@m)T<:<v~iB##@@#QQB#@M
     `)I$#m,-' `>]ZB#@@@#QQQB#3
  .>LKlxxxx_`<YUaKOQQQB#BB####P
:V5MMMTx^=*` .~xeaOQQg$RB@@@##P
 .<}ab*' .QQK\_`;<YMRO66B@@@@B}
     .`  .Q#@#Q3v`rcvvY3B#Mx_  
         .OKx*rxv`x66OX]=`     
               .!`xRdyr,       
                  !<'

IoTeX

▬▬INTERNET OF TRUSTED THINGS▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬.
▬▬▬BECOME A MEMBER TODAY▬▬▬▬.

▄███████████████████▄
        █████████████████████
▄█████  █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
███     █████████████████████
██████  ████             ████
██████  █████████████████████
███     █████████████████████
███████ ▀███████████████████▀
▀███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄       ▀████
  ████▌                 ██  
  ▐██▌                      
   █▌

TWITTER
MEDIUM
REDDIT
TELEGRAM
FORUM
BITCOINTALK
Andre_Goldman

Activity: 322
Merit: 253

Property1of1OU

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:34:38 PM

I'm also suspicious that Microsoft and Google apps also use my computer cycles without my knowledge ... at least for personal data collection they're now have a legal obligation to tell me how they using my data ...    

Patent1number: ****-****
Pab
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 09:58:59 PM

There is very good free sofwere Speccy.Speccy is showing all data about your computer together with hash use.Very nice sofwere

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1009

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:12:10 PM

Source? Unfortunately this seems to be daily practice in the last few months... What's really bad about this is that they don't even care to inform users. I'm sure some would be ok if warned, but without warning, nobody is ok with this.
tiggytomb
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:18:01 PM

Source? Unfortunately this seems to be daily practice in the last few months... What's really bad about this is that they don't even care to inform users. I'm sure some would be ok if warned, but without warning, nobody is ok with this.
I agree, the fact that people are.being deceived and not told about it will upset them further, seems like a nice little earner mining that amount in just a three week period.
william8829

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:20:24 PM

The company behind the ad blocking program Adguard has analyzed the most popular 100,000 websites for cryptocurrency mining scripts. They found that over 500 million people have been mining cryptocurrencies and “they have no idea it is happening.” Each website running the script earns an estimated $43,000 within the three-week period studied.

No Coin is a chrome broswer plug in that specificlly prevents websites from hijacking your browser to mine cryptocurrency.

source: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2017/09/how-to-stop-pirate-bay-and-other-sites-from-hijacking-your-cpu-to-mine-cryptocoins/
DoublerHunter

Activity: 2590
Merit: 644

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:37:11 PM

If this is true, then it is amazing to know that half a billion people are already mining cryptocurrencies without noticing it and at the same time it is a great step up for the cryptocurrencies to have a lot of miners because it really means that it is slightly getting popularity and somehow it will become the key for the cryptocurrency to be known as a profitable currency by doing some work like mining.
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 11:42:58 PM

I would imagine it's much, much higher than that

Razick
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:50:35 PM

I am going to go ahead and call bullcrap on this. Surely some sites are guilty, but chances are 99% of them make next-to-nothing given the power consumed by a regular laptop is hardly enough to make a living mining. This is not 2009 when you could mine a few hundred Bitcoin daily. Most altcoins are complete trash and mining them is a waste of time. What we really need to focus on are hackers using botnets to mine. They are the ones making a fortune.

ACCOUNT RECOVERED 4/27/2020. Account was previously hacked sometime in 2017. Posts between 12/31/2016 and 4/27/2020 are NOT LEGITIMATE.
OriginalBankster

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 14, 2017, 11:53:29 PM

I am going to go ahead and call bullcrap on this. Surely some sites are guilty, but chances are 99% of them make next-to-nothing given the power consumed by a regular laptop is hardly enough to make a living mining. This is not 2009 when you could mine a few hundred Bitcoin daily. Most altcoins are complete trash and mining them is a waste of time. What we really need to focus on are hackers using botnets to mine. They are the ones making a fortune.

you think it is profitable?
with standard home computers?
altough if you have thousands of them...
lighpulsar07

Activity: 518
Merit: 271

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 12:06:46 AM

really? wow that is amazing if you think, the website owners can earn that amount of money without their users knowing it but it is kind of greedy and rip off in a way the devs are making money out of themm not realizing that it is happening oh well that's is life here on earth
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: