Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 12:43:29 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bit Gold fork question  (Read 712 times)
bitcoinbeamer (OP)

Activity: 48
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 09:17:26 PM

If I have a Core wallet with a bunch of sub wallets within it that I created within it, do each of those sub wallets have their own private key?

Also, I have moved the coins from the original wallet address that was generated when I downloaded the Core wallet to a subwallet after the BCC fork. So I am curious if I should create a new subwallet again to move all my coins to so I can make sure to get my Bit Gold reward. Or to be safe should I download a brand new Core wallet and move all the coins over to that new Core wallet? Please advise and thanks fellas.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 6705

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 09:42:17 PM

If I have a Core wallet with a bunch of sub wallets within it that I created within it, do each of those sub wallets have their own private key?
If by sub wallet you mean addresses, yes. Each address has its own private key. There is no such thing as a "sub wallet".

Also, I have moved the coins from the original wallet address that was generated when I downloaded the Core wallet to a subwallet after the BCC fork. So I am curious if I should create a new subwallet again to move all my coins to so I can make sure to get my Bit Gold reward. Or to be safe should I download a brand new Core wallet and move all the coins over to that new Core wallet? Please advise and thanks fellas.
There is no need to move any coins before any fork in order to get coins after the fork.

bitcoinbeamer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 09:57:32 PM

So as long as there are coins in one of my addresses within my Core Wallet then I will get the Bit Gold reward after it happens?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 09:57:55 PM

So as long as there are coins in one of my addresses within my Core Wallet then I will get the Bit Gold reward after it happens?
Yes.

bitcoinbeamer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 10:02:30 PM

Thank you very much. Also, why does the blockchain.info show 0 as my final balance in all of my wallet addresses when I copy and paste but my balance when my Core wallet is fully synched it shows the full balance? I have sent coins back and forth to Bittrex to trade. Does this have something to do with change wallets? Seems kinda scary that I'm getting this conflicting information.
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 10:19:36 PM

Thank you very much. Also, why does the blockchain.info show 0 as my final balance in all of my wallet addresses when I copy and paste but my balance when my Core wallet is fully synched it shows the full balance? I have sent coins back and forth to Bittrex to trade. Does this have something to do with change wallets? Seems kinda scary that I'm getting this conflicting information.
That's because of change addresses. You should never use a block explorer to check your balance.

bitcoinbeamer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 14, 2017, 10:55:29 PM

I need to attach a pic but don't see anywhere to attach. I sent 1 BTC as a test to myself and under recent transactions it doesn't show the 1 BTC but shows a transaction dated with (n/a) next to it with a very small piece of BTC so probably the transaction fee. Why doesn't the 1 BTC transaction that I sent to myself show up in my transactions in either the Overview or Transactions tabs?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 02:20:31 AM

I need to attach a pic but don't see anywhere to attach. I sent 1 BTC as a test to myself and under recent transactions it doesn't show the 1 BTC but shows a transaction dated with (n/a) next to it with a very small piece of BTC so probably the transaction fee. Why doesn't the 1 BTC transaction that I sent to myself show up in my transactions in either the Overview or Transactions tabs?
Bitcoin Core only shows the amount that leaves your wallet or enters your wallet. The 1 BTC did not leave nor enter your wallet, but the small transaction fee did, so that is what is displayed.

monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 06:46:18 AM

If you watch the 52 character private key. You will see that it is similar to Bitcoin Cash and Segwit Address Private key. And all of them will be processed by the Bitcore as a typical bitcoin core/classic wallet so just sit back and relax don't make more wallets and subwallets

bitcoinbeamer (OP)

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 03:50:04 AM

If you watch the 52 character private key. You will see that it is similar to Bitcoin Cash and Segwit Address Private key. And all of them will be processed by the Bitcore as a typical bitcoin core/classic wallet so just sit back and relax don't make more wallets and subwallets

So then which wallet address in my Core wallet will get the Bit Gold and B2X since all the coins seem to be in none of my wallets based on the blockchain.info website? If the coins are in change wallets, where do I see the addresses of these change wallets?
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 04:38:24 AM

So then which wallet address in my Core wallet will get the Bit Gold and B2X since all the coins seem to be in none of my wallets based on the blockchain.info website?
Your coins after the hard fork will be associated with your change addresses. All of your private keys and addresses are managed by your wallet. Because there is a Bitcoin Core based software for each fork, you can take your Bitcoin Core wallet and use it with those software after the fork to retrieve your coins. There is no need to handle raw private keys by yourself or do any sort of importing.

If the coins are in change wallets, where do I see the addresses of these change wallets?
Your coins are in change addresses, not wallets. Addresses and wallets are very different things.

You don't need to see your change addresses; that is not necessary. If you really want to, you can go to the debug console and use the dumpwallet command. This will export all of your addresses and private keys to a plain text file which means that anyone who gets that file will be able to steal your coins regardless of whether your wallet has a password or not. Note that this file IS NOT the wallet.dat file and you SHOULD NOT name the file exported "wallet.dat

fl1pp3r

Activity: 14

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:00:22 PM

without any exchanger supporting BTG to who will we sell the BTG?!
Salmen
Legendary

Activity: 1059
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 06:27:29 PM

I am fairly sure that there will be few exchanges who supports Bitcoin Gold, it depends on the demand of the users whether they want it. It is probably that the exchanges who supports Bitcoin Cash, will also support Bitcoin Gold after the fork and that is plenty of exchanges.

Young Developer amidst Europe. Specialized in Web Programming and Creating Telegram Bots. Looking for a developer? Feel free to drop a mail to me.
Running JaguarBitcoin - Your Place For Scripts
jesgatt

Activity: 6

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 06:28:17 PM

Thanks for the info Smiley
overlooker

Activity: 58
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 07:00:05 PM

its not gonna be worth anything since everybode wants to just sell it asap... so maybe its not worth the effort and risks..
Colorblind

Activity: 392
Merit: 41

This text is irrelevant

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 09:01:04 AM

its not gonna be worth anything since everybode wants to just sell it asap... so maybe its not worth the effort and risks..

Yeah, sure... just like Bitcoin Cash Wink
Lord of the Lies

Activity: 40

View Profile
October 19, 2017, 12:01:06 PM

that's what I want to know.

my bet is that some smaller exchanges will carry it, and later on some larger ones will as well

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: