Bitcoin Forum
June 16, 2024, 12:57:05 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I got SCAMMED by bitbox.mx!!!  (Read 12792 times)
Bitcoin Scammer

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 01:51:44 PM

Which laws would these be? is it not country based?

DON'T GET SCAMMED, CHECK FIRST = Bitcoinscammers.com
Darktongue

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:18:09 PM

What the fuck?  This is still being chewed on?  Seriously?  This stupid ass OP needs to contact his bank and tell the fucking truth.  Truth being he is uncomfortable with the terms . He nor the site owner probably expected this to happen but it did.  Now I highly doubt it was an automatic freeze.  I'm sure considering this is a mom and pop style money exchange someone had to physicaly lock it.  But that doesn't mean it was a scam.

If the OP transfered that much money out of his account I'm going to assume he has money and does treat his central banking system with respect.  Thus giveing a little leverage to go down in person and play stupid/victim and have this all taken care of within a matter of a working day or two.

In my frank opinion if this waa a scam more people would be in the same boat.  But it's one hard head out of a grip of people. You also have to remember the longer you wait to do a reverse the harder it becomes to get it done.

----Short form----
You did not expect this to happen but it did.  You are uncomfortable and wish to keep your privacy.  Talk to your banks service manager.  Tell them you invested in something and it became more then you could chew and have nothing to show for it.  Get your money back and use another exchange median if you still want btc
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 02:42:30 PM

If you refuse to verify, they actually have everty right to take your money.  

They are violating laws if they DO NOT verify you.

The previous 2 posters must be 14

No they aren't.  Period.  Please cite the FinCEN reg which requires a company to steal the assets of a client if they don't verify.

AML requirements are for TRANSMISSION.  If you return funds it isn't transmission.   If the company feels the transaction is suspicious they are obligated to file a SAR (suspicious activity report).  They are obligated to file this EVEN IF the client verifies after the fact.  The mere presence of suspicious activity obligates the SAR.  Nothing allows a company to seize assets of clients.  Nothing.  Seizure of private property requires a warrant and is done by law enforcement with the authority of a judge not by a company's internal policies.  Has the OP been served with a warrant (like in  MtGox case?)?  No.  Then any seizure is unlawful.

Take the classic example of Western Union.  Alice wires money to Bob but Bob doesn't have or want to show ID.  What happens?  Does WU just keep the money?  No that would be called theft of client funds. Alice can pickup the funds up.   I
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 15, 2013, 08:02:45 PM

What about Mexican AML laws? That site claims to be Mexican at least.
Bitcoin Scammer

Activity: 266

View Profile WWW
June 15, 2013, 09:42:14 PM

I get that part. I'm wanting to here the legal side of it Smiley

DON'T GET SCAMMED, CHECK FIRST = Bitcoinscammers.com
extracrunchy (OP)

Activity: 44
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 18, 2013, 05:06:38 AM

They are actually based out of the University of Michigan!

Not sure what the deal is with the .mx domain...
Cryptoin

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 19, 2013, 04:00:59 AM

They are actually based out of the University of Michigan!

Not sure what the deal is with the .mx domain...

The reasoning behind mx was "Money Exchange" (that and .com was taken).  They have nothing to do with Mexico.
extracrunchy (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:22:27 AM

So, finally, after a month long exercise, my bank FINALLY managed to get the $500 back from BitBox.mx.

WARNING to anyone doing business with BitBox: Read the ToS VERY carefully, because if they CAN screw you, they WILL screw you!
DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 05:27:12 AM

Called my bank, and you are right! ACH reversals can be made!

But I'll have to go to the branch in person, fill out a couple of forms, and wait ~10 business days to get my deposit back....

I still blame BitBox for all the wastage of time, and holding up of my money!!!

In Bitbox's defense, you've made a massive shitstorm and stirred it up. This looks like it could've easily been fixed...

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
extracrunchy (OP)

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:31:24 AM

But I'll have to go to the branch in person, fill out a couple of forms, and wait ~10 business days to get my deposit back....

In Bitbox's defense, you've made a massive shitstorm and stirred it up. This looks like it could've easily been fixed...

Now that I have my money back, I can lol @ your comment.

In my defense, I should have the right to refuse to accept the ToS and NOT get my money confiscated. The whole "shitstorm" was based on an idea as simple as that. Was that wrong to assume?
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 01:27:32 PM

Now that I have my money back, I can lol @ your comment.

In my defense, I should have the right to refuse to accept the ToS and NOT get my money confiscated. The whole "shitstorm" was based on an idea as simple as that. Was that wrong to assume?

It's against the law for them to violate the law (well, we knew that already, didn't we?). There is no law against holding your money if you don't give them ID.

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:10:24 PM

There is no law against holding your money if you don't give them ID.
{{citation needed}}

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 03:19:25 PM

{{citation needed}}

There is a law? Wait, where?

{{citation needed}}

Lohoris

Activity: 630
Merit: 500

Bitgoblin

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 03:59:14 PM

{{citation needed}}

{{citation needed}}
Are you insane?
Do you think there is not a law agains you holding my money?
Like, in, I don't know, theft?

Either there is a specific clause claiming you can hold my money, or you are breaking the law.

1LohorisJie8bGGG7X4dCS9MAVsTEbzrhu
DefaultTrust is very BAD.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 04:54:03 PM

{{citation needed}}

{{citation needed}}
Are you insane?

Either there is a specific clause claiming you can hold my money, or you are breaking the law.

Requesting ID and giving the money after ID is provided in order to not break the law (if you just give and take money, even after they file a support ticket, it's still breaking the law if you don't follow the proper procedures) =/= stealing.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
June 25, 2013, 05:05:35 PM

{{citation needed}}

{{citation needed}}
Are you insane?

Requesting ID and giving the money after ID is provided in order to not break the law (if you just give and take money, even after they file a support ticket, it's still breaking the law if you don't follow the proper procedures) =/= stealing.

There is no requirement for MSB collect ID before returning funds from an incomplete transaction.  However you are asking someone to disprove a negative.  The regs for MSBs are publicly available you claim the law requires them to "hang on to" = "steal" so provide a cite for the reg requiring this activity.

As someone who has attended BSA training I will save you some time.  There is no requirement, no obligation, there isn't even the right for a company to "hang on to funds".  The company can refuse the transaction at which point they are required to return the funds.  If the company believes the transaction is suspicious they are obligated to file a SAR.  If the company knows ID will be required they are obligated to collect that PRIOR to starting the transaction.

The company asking the client to report the transfer as fraudulent with their bank in order to have funds returned should set off some alarm bells.  Does that sound "normal" to you?
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 25, 2013, 05:08:23 PM

{{citation needed}}

{{citation needed}}
Are you insane?

There is no requirement for MSB collect ID before returning funds from an incomplete transaction.  However you are asking someone to disprove a negative.  The regs for MSBs are publicly available you claim the law requires them to "hang on to" = "steal" so provide a cite for the reg requiring this activity.

As someone who has attended BSA training I will save you some time.  There is no requirement, no obligation, there isn't even the right for a company to "hang on to funds".  The company can refuse the transaction at which point they are required to return the funds.  If the company believes the transaction is suspicious they are obligated to file a SAR.  If the company knows ID will be required they are obligated to collect that PRIOR to starting the transaction.

The company asking the client to report the transfer as fraudulent with their bank in order to have funds returned should set off some alarm bells.  Does that sound "normal" to you?

Hmmm, that is true, it isn't normal. I'll think about it some more, but it does partially seem like an over-reaction.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:42:58 AM

Same here, they are a SCAM!

Can't withdraw BTC, keeps saying withdrawal limit!

BEWARE!!

AND they allow you to use the same token numbers for a while allowing replay attacks!

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:43:58 AM

peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:37:22 AM

/facepalm

Where's the "scammers tried to help me, I didn't listen" meme when you need it?!?
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: