Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 06:59:04 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tool to convert Segwit private key to public Segwit address?  (Read 739 times)
lukaexpl (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:58:08 AM

Is there an online tool or an Android wallet that can convert a Segwit address private key (generated via mnemonic seed on https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/ under BIP49 derivation path) to a correct public address?
Both Mycelium android app or bitaddress.org come up with the same public address that is incorrect and does not start with 3.

I am doing this within the scope of Trezor testing. Trezor wallet generated with the same same seed offers Segwit addresses but I feel uncomfortable sending BTC to an address whose keys I am not able to restore with multiple tools.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 10:25:25 AM

You really shouldn't type your private key anywhere online, as you are practically giving the website your bitcoins. Instead download Bitcoin Core, you don't have to wait for it to sync up, just go to Help->Debug window->Console and type the
Code:
importprivkey "<yourprivatekey>
that should add the standard Bitcoin address corresponding to that private key to the wallet, then put that address in the following command
Code:
addwitnessaddress "<addressyouimported>"
. The result of that command will be your segwit address.
monkeydominicorobin

Activity: 294
Merit: 104

✪ NEXCHANGE | BTC, LTC, ETH & DOGE ✪

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:56:06 AM

Is there an online tool or an Android wallet that can convert a Segwit address private key (generated via mnemonic seed on https://iancoleman.github.io/bip39/ under BIP49 derivation path) to a correct public address?
Both Mycelium android app or bitaddress.org come up with the same public address that is incorrect and does not start with 3.

I am doing this within the scope of Trezor testing. Trezor wallet generated with the same same seed offers Segwit addresses but I feel uncomfortable sending BTC to an address whose keys I am not able to restore with multiple tools.

It is not an incorrect address. Segwit address are actually 3 Bitcoin addresses. The old wallet address. The compressed address. And the the segwit address. You just got the old bitcoin/bitcore address but it is just the same. Send bitcoins in that address and it will be placed in the segwit address even if you check the block explorers. Send money to the segwit equivalent same thing will happen. Send it to the compressed bitcoin address the same thing will happen it will appear in the block explorers as value in your segwit address.

lukaexpl (OP)

Activity: 148
Merit: 106

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:30:11 PM

It is not an incorrect address. Segwit address are actually 3 Bitcoin addresses. The old wallet address. The compressed address. And the the segwit address. You just got the old bitcoin/bitcore address but it is just the same. Send bitcoins in that address and it will be placed in the segwit address even if you check the block explorers. Send money to the segwit equivalent same thing will happen. Send it to the compressed bitcoin address the same thing will happen it will appear in the block explorers as value in your segwit address.

You got me properly confused with this one. I guess I have some reading to do.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:20:52 PM

You got me properly confused with this one. I guess I have some reading to do.

It isn't the same if you send to any of these addresses, on a technical level, that is all different. You won't be able to make a segwit transaction from a standard Bitcoin address, that is all you need to know for now. If you want to make a segwit tx in the future, you will need to send coins to the segwit address first (the one that starts with 3). Only when you send coins from a segwit address to a segwit address, that transaction is a segwit transaction and it will be smaller then a standard Bitcoin transaction.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: