Hi, could some experienced miner help a little n00b?
I'm about to test a new mining rig with a recently found 6990. It is also possible that I'll manage to get a second one in the near future (and my mining rig is sized accordingly), but in the meantime I'm going to start with this one. I'm going to run the whole on a headless linux server.
My n00bish questions:
1) which mining software should I use? I've been using poclbm until now, but it seems that phoenix's performances have been greatly improved for the latest ATI cards, am I correct? I can read up to 835 Mhash/s at https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Mining_hardware_comparison
2) Since I've never used dual-GPU cards, with a single 6990 do I have to launch two different threads, using DEVICE=0 and DEVICE=1 option? But I'm still going to run a single instance of the bitcoin client right?
3) Is it OK to run SDK v2.4 instead of 2.1 with this configuration?
4) Which version of Ubuntu is best suited for the task? Am I going to meet some troubles by using Debian as a distro instead of Ubuntu?
5) What is my best choice for a script/software acting as a proxy for my mining rigs and able to switch pool when my default one is down?
I don't have a lot of bitcoins right now, but I'm willing to pay 0.3 - 0.5 bitcoins to the first users (with good reputation and mining experience) providing good answers, depending on the amount of information given
(maximum 1.5 BTC) Thanks in advance!