Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 03:34:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: List of stolen accounts  (Read 908 times)
coolcoinz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 05:54:23 PM

With all the hacking happening lately and time it takes to recover the accounts such a list could be useful. Other users would know which accounts were stolen and:
-wouldn't allow them in sig campaigns / wouldn't pay them if they're already in
-would give them a temporary negative trust until the account is given back to the rightful owner
-wouldn't get scammed by them

I think we should do what we can to make it as unprofitable for the hackers as possible. What do you think?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum strives to allow free discussion of any ideas. All policies are built around this principle. This doesn't mean you can post garbage, though: posts should actually contain ideas, and these ideas should be argued reasonably.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 06:07:46 PM

With all the hacking happening lately and time it takes to recover the accounts such a list could be useful. Other users would know which accounts were stolen and:
-would give them a temporary negative trust until the account is given back to the rightful owner
Sorry if I'm missing out on anything but does all this hacking stuff happening lately has some particular reason behind it ? Any conclusions drawn yet ?

I think we should do what we can to make it as unprofitable for the hackers as possible. What do you think?
How did the accounts get hacked in the first place ?  Like is there any pattern or something common between all the hacked accounts ? Please link me to relevant stuff if you can.
Meuh6879-1

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 06:12:21 PM

What do you think?

Grin after have reading ... i prefer a complet switch on the BETA ( beta.bitcointalk.org ).
i prefer ON/OFF solution when security is involved.
Lutpin
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874

Goodbye, Z.

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 06:15:45 PM

This already happens since some DT users (KWH for example) monitor the Meta section and tag accounts that have been reported to be hacked with proof.

Which also solves the other two points

No reputable signature campaign would accept/pay someone with overall negative trust.
Potential tradepartners should always check the feedback of an account they trade with, and would then notice the warning.

Imo, such a list would only be a waste of time and energy.

▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀████▄
████▀██████▀█▀██████▀████
██████████████████████████
▐█████▄███████████████▄█████▌
▐███████▄▄█████████▄▄███████▌
▐██████▀█████████████▀██████▌
▐███████████████████████████▌
▀██████████████████████▀
▀████▄████▄▀▀▄████▄████▀
▀███████▀███▀███████▀
▀▀█████████████▀▀
  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
   ███████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
██████████
███████

▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄
            ██                          ▄▄▄▄▄▄                           ██
           ██  ██████                ▄██████████▄     ████████████████████▀
          ██  ████████             ▄████▀   ▀████▄    ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
         ██  ████  ████           ████▀       ▀██▀    ████
        ██  ████    ████        ▄███▀                 ████

██  ████      ████       ███▀                  ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
      ██  ████        ████      ███                   ██████████████
     ██  ████          ████     ███▄                  ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

██  ████████████████████    ▀████                 ████
   ██  ██████████████████████    ▀████▄        ▄██▄   ████

██  ████                ████     ▀████▄   ▄████▀    ████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██  ████                  ████      ▀██████████▀     ████████████████████▄
  ██                                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀                           ██
   ▀█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀
actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 15, 2017, 07:39:08 PM

Sorry if I'm missing out on anything but does all this hacking stuff happening lately has some particular reason behind it ? Any conclusions drawn yet ?
Just some simple standard deviation. After all, accounts are hacked all the time and people do make threads... but just in this particular time period, a lot more people notice it (or attempt to recover their accounts {and it could be slightly because they see threads about hacked accounts and follow the format} from the hacked status) and hence post more often in Meta.

coolcoinz (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2618
Merit: 1103

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:50:29 PM

Imo, such a list would only be a waste of time and energy.

I thought it would be a good idea to throw all users that are waiting for their accounts to be returned into a single thread. I've read it can take a week or two before staff handles a request, which is a long time. Enough for the hacker to make some money, some damage, or both.
I agree it would take a lot of time and effort, probably more than it's worth, because the accounts that would be returned to their owners would have to be deleted from the thread = constant management.

linaross

Activity: 138
Merit: 15

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 06:29:36 AM

but are there any info how they can hack accounts ?
mine was hacked too.
 how could they change the email adress?

actmyname
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2562
Merit: 2504

Spear the bees

View Profile WWW
October 27, 2017, 06:41:11 AM

mine was hacked too.
Email address can be changed simply with the password of the account, while logged-in.

maeusi

Activity: 462
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:58:51 AM

There are less hacked accounts than in the past. Security features seem to be effective.
When email or password is changed, notification with locking link is sent to original email account to owner.
Read also, that old accounts with long period of inactivity are locked now.
As we can see on meta is, that those security features are working well.
Lamberialako

Activity: 35

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 11:23:58 AM

mine was hacked too.
Email address can be changed simply with the password of the account, while logged-in.
yes, my aaccount was stolen too... and nothing happened. My account is online, but it use the hacker..
my friend account account was stolen too.
please reseting password to the original email! My hacked username: Tasunko
linaross

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 07:44:57 AM

There are less hacked accounts than in the past. Security features seem to be effective.
When email or password is changed, notification with locking link is sent to original email account to owner.

were those security features aplyed befor oktober the secont this year? cose my acount was hacked after that.
and i got no email with a locked link to my originaly email adress.
Zackgeno96

Activity: 1778
Merit: 520

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:18:31 AM

Account hacking incidents have been already decreased after the introduction of new security features. Even if someone manage to hack the account, it will be useless for them as the original account owner is able to lock the account. These account security features should have been introduced earlier in order to make this forum hackers free.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
Johnzky

Activity: 616
Merit: 30

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 10:45:22 AM

mine was hacked too.
sorry I got lost,what do you mean changed email simpkybwith the password while logged in?would you pls elaborate so we could have an idea how easy to changed the email address that the only security we had in our account,,thank you for the response..
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 01:01:18 PM

With the amount of accounts being hacked then this would likely have to be a community maintained list. Plus, not all accounts are made public if they have been hacked or not. The person who was hacked can always contact the signature campaign manager and let them know their account is compromised with a signed message to verify.

Anyone who has lost their account can get it banned provided they have sufficient proof whilst waiting for it to be returned to prevent any scams.
Matt9301
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1008

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 01:35:22 PM

My account was involved few weeks ago. Fortunately I managed to retrieve the account with the help of admins. I do not know what happened, my mail was deleted from account and I was unable to retrieve login information or password change..
kenkoy

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 04:16:30 AM

May i ask if this security feature is still in place now?  When a hacker changed the registered emaill address,  an confirmation email will be sent to the original email registered on this forum.  May i ask also if the admin has a list of BTC address of all users?  so when the hacker changed the btc add,  the recovery process will be easy.

DRAFTCOINS ║║█ CRYPTO PORTFOLIO COMPETITIONS █║║ ANN THREAD
1) Create an account   2) Draft your crypto portfolio   3) Win prizes
[Twitter]▬[Facebook]▬▬▬
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 09:26:03 AM

May i ask if this security feature is still in place now?  When a hacker changed the registered emaill address,  an confirmation email will be sent to the original email registered on this forum.  May i ask also if the admin has a list of BTC address of all users?  so when the hacker changed the btc add,  the recovery process will be easy.
When an account changes it's password a email is sent to the email on the account with a link which can be clicked to recover the account within 14 days of changing the password. (https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2282758.msg23164732#msg23164732)

Admins probably don't store Bitcoin addresses of users, because lets face it they change so often. What administrators can do is check whether a Bitcoin address has been edited recently and investigate whether that was after the alleged hack.
Gosha.day

Activity: 13

View Profile
October 30, 2017, 10:09:06 AM

Corn your email password
Regular cleaning of cookie
linaross

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 09:24:57 AM

is there any investigation how those hackers did it ?
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 04:26:45 PM

How did the accounts get hacked in the first place ?  Like is there any pattern or something common between all the hacked accounts ? Please link me to relevant stuff if you can.
is there any investigation how those hackers did it ?
Wayback 2015, if I remember correctly, there had been a database hack in bitcointalk where sensitive information had been up publicly and some are sold or up for auction in deepweb. After the incident, the forum had tighten the security and warned the users for possible hacks so they advise the users to change their passwords. In some cases, accounts who have not been accessed since that day was locked.

But why are they trying to recover it years later? Here's my guess: Bitcoin has grown popular lately so they decided to go back and start here in the forum where they had formerly registered but unfortunately it was hacked but since they had discovered that there are signature campaigns paying them which the rates are higher base on your rank so they decided to give it a shot and try to recover it.

P.S. You can try searching for it for more info.

P.P.S. I am not saying "all" but rather "most."

were those security features aplyed befor oktober the secont this year? cose my acount was hacked after that.
and i got no email with a locked link to my originaly email adress.

The answer was provided by Welsh indirectly. If you read the link, you'll see that it was implemented on October 18.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: