Bitcoin Forum
September 28, 2024, 11:18:30 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.1 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Altcoins naming  (Read 232 times)
FuI2cY (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 07:59:20 PM
Last edit: October 15, 2017, 08:16:25 PM by FuI2cY

Hello,

i have a question about naming Altcoins. What happend if two different coins have the same symbol with the same full name and the same circulating  supply? Is it possible to create new coin with the same name/symbol and/or supply as another one already have it? I'm not interested to make new coin with some already chosen name, just want to know if it is possible to do this?

Thank you for your answers in advance.
FuI2cY (OP)

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:13:37 PM

So far i found out a few altcoins with the same symbols: BAT, BET, BTM, CAT, ETT, GCC, HNC, MGC, XID ... but all of them have different full name ... so you need to be very carefully when you want to trade with one of them .. so is this only for confusing people or any other reason ? But is it possible to create coin with the same full name and symbol ?
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:20:37 PM

Yeah some coins do this on purpose to abuse the succes of other coins, Vibe has an imposter as tweeted on their feed to mislead investors and profit on the succes of another coin.

Lot of scam so best to be safe than sorry (unless its bitcoin... you can't play safe on bitcoin imo)

Emoclaw

Activity: 420
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:23:38 PM

Yes, it's technically possible to create a different coin with the same name. It will be two separate blockchains and it will work just fine. People or may not have a difficult time discerning the two but that's a different story.

Most of the time small acronyms are duplicate by mistake, it's rare that someone duplicates some cryptocurrency with malicious intent and I don't think that would work anyways.
Exchanges are free to set their own acronyms in the trading pairs should they want to add two coins that have the same official acronym.
Legendari

Activity: 266
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:45:24 PM

The name of the coin, only such as is it called by the developer. You can name your coin though "bitcoin", but on the exchange each coin has its own unique marker and can not be two "BTC".

❤   humancoin   ❤   Join our whitelist!      ❤   humancoin   ❤
███████                  A new era of charity                    ███████
▄ ▄ ▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  Telegram | Reddit | Medium | Twitter | ANN Thread | Facebook   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄ ▄ ▄ ▄
deepcryptomine

Activity: 392
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 11:54:35 PM

The name of the coin, only such as is it called by the developer. You can name your coin though "bitcoin", but on the exchange each coin has its own unique marker and can not be two "BTC".

Yes I recently saw that on etherdelta with eLTC, eLTC2 and eLTC3.
bongiu

Activity: 434
Merit: 102

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 12:37:26 AM

Yeah some coins do this on purpose to abuse the succes of other coins, Vibe has an imposter as tweeted on their feed to mislead investors and profit on the succes of another coin.

Lot of scam so best to be safe than sorry (unless its bitcoin... you can't play safe on bitcoin imo)

Excellent remark sir, this is something to be aware of when trading. Most of scam ICOs do this, but in the end it's up to you to do proper research when trading or investing.
FuI2cY (OP)

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:14:02 AM

Yes, it's technically possible to create a different coin with the same name. It will be two separate blockchains and it will work just fine. People or may not have a difficult time discerning the two but that's a different story.

Most of the time small acronyms are duplicate by mistake, it's rare that someone duplicates some cryptocurrency with malicious intent and I don't think that would work anyways.
Exchanges are free to set their own acronyms in the trading pairs should they want to add two coins that have the same official acronym.

So you can create a different coin with the same name on another blockchain ... can you create different coin with the same symbol/name on the same blockchain, like ERC20 ?
AngelDeveloper

Activity: 15

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:18:00 AM

So you can create a different coin with the same name on another blockchain ... can you create different coin with the same symbol/name on the same blockchain, like ERC20 ?
You technically can but in order to get listed on ICO websites or even better, on exchanges, you need to show you're a serious project. You can copy and call yourself a coin and steal some funds but people are very fast in finding out these things so make sure you read the official channels ALWAYS.
fedor3327

Activity: 644
Merit: 523

Passionate about Crypto

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:21:43 AM

I had a vision!

Its the year 2019. Its impossible to find a 3 letter coin name. Maybe someone should start collecting them like they did with domain names "back in the day!"
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: