Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 06:03:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie question: What is an airdrop and are they worth participating in?  (Read 640 times)
benh (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 08:55:58 PM

I see people asking about airdrops all the time.

What are they and how do you figure out if one is worth participating in?
MoonIsBlue

Activity: 406
Merit: 111

View Profile
October 15, 2017, 09:17:39 PM

Its when the devs of a project give away free tokens to attract an audience/community. Some also choose this over ICO's.

They are worth participating since it is essentially free money. But it depends, I don't really participate in aidrops because most of the time its too much of a hassle.
ANN pages that are spammed with people asking questions that are explained in the ANN to which they're posting, downloading wallets, getting my computer rights back from AVG because it sees everything as a virus etc.

biznes35

Activity: 714
Merit: 253

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 12:29:14 AM

What is aidrop?
There are some cryptonyms that make periodic discharges of free coins
(airdrop), mainly for the owners of bitcoins. This means that if you have btc in
 a wallet that allows you to sign messages (local or online wallet),
you can get free money in the form of a crypto currency.
Air Drop. (type of free distribution of crypto currency)
Air Drop is done in order to advertise and recognize the brand.
Air Drop is of two types:
• when the charge is made if you are a holder of some kind of coin
(most often it's Bitcoin or Ethereum) and you get a coin of coins
proportional to yours.
• when you just need to fill in the registration fields and wait for the coins to be dumped into your wallet.
For most Air Drop, you need an account at Bitcointalk.org or having coins
 on your wallet. You can and do, but will not be superfluous.
jlp

Activity: 266
Merit: 264

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 12:45:03 AM

There are scams with airdrops as well.

They are free, but many will become worthless as well.

Ethernem claims to be the NEM on Ethereum.  This is misleading.  It's simply an ERC-20 token on Ethereum, that will do nothing.
mari4nn3

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:17:57 AM

An airdrop is a token distribution model. Every project has to give its tokens/coins to the investors/community. In some projects you have ICOS where you pay a given price for every token/coin and other projects distribute them for free in what is called an airdrop.

Different rules may be applied for you to receive the tokens. Some airdrop projects only airdrop part of the tokens, others airdrop near the total supply. Some may ask you only your address to send you the tokens and others may ask you for example to do a signature campaign where you promote and support the project or any other set rules like for example the rank your bitcointalk account has.

marukochanx3

Activity: 167
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 06:56:48 AM

Airdrop its just free distributions from a project/ICO.
Too much airdrop , some there airdrop will be a scam.
Im always joining a airdrop , but a lot of them just a scam , just a bit their coin will be a good price.
If u want join a airdrop just see the Announcements (Altcoin) board , see the rules and join their airdrop.
They will announced when the coin distributed for the airdrop participants.
I recommend u use myetherwallet for receiving the coin , if u using eth address from some exchanger , u coin never landed on your wallet.  Wink
BTC-BTC-BTC
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1001

www.neutroncoin.com

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 01:43:35 AM

Most of the free airdrop are low quality projects don't expect too much from them. A lot of the airdrops are erc20 tokens is ok to sign up for it if they don't ask for email. Is not worth if you have download a wallet and install it to received the free coin. unless you have spear computer for testing purpose for new wallets.
The_Dark_Knight

Activity: 840
Merit: 502

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 02:29:07 AM

Most of the free airdrop are low quality projects don't expect too much from them. A lot of the airdrops are erc20 tokens is ok to sign up for it if they don't ask for email. Is not worth if you have download a wallet and install it to received the free coin. unless you have spear computer for testing purpose for new wallets.
This is correct but for those that have the time it can be a way to get some free coins and get some easy profits trading them, I know that some users like to get as nay airdrops as they can and they report good profits, I do not have too much time in my hands but like most people here I’m willing to receive my airdrops thanks to next two forks that are coming in bitcoin.
vlast01

Activity: 364
Merit: 105

Dolphins Finance TRUSTED FINANCE

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 02:29:30 PM

AirDrop free tokens and giveaways tokens
It is worth participating because its free tokens/ free money. You just register and wait till you recieve its easy right not a hussle job at all.

●●●●●●●●[DHOLPINS Finance - TRUSTED . PLATFORM - DHOLPHINS Finance]●●●●●●●●
▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔ Useful Links ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Website◂ | ▸About Us◂ | ▸LitePaper◂ | ▸Telegram◂ | ▸Twitter◂ | ▸Medium◂ |
torry28
Legendary

Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 18, 2017, 02:36:22 PM

It is worth participating because its free tokens/ free money. You just register and wait till you recieve its easy right not a hussle job at all.
It could be not worth too. When you want to claim a airdrop, you must provide your email to receive a link to claim the airdrop. Then, after that your email will likely get lots of spam messagess from that airdrop
The_Dark_Knight

View Profile
October 24, 2017, 02:51:06 AM

It could be not worth too. When you want to claim a airdrop, you must provide your email to receive a link to claim the airdrop. Then, after that your email will likely get lots of spam messagess from that airdrop
If that is the case then you can create a throwaway email for that airdrop or if you are going to participate in many airdrops you can great an email dedicated exclusively to that activity, that way you do not have to deal with the spam in your main email, it is not really that hard and it is a nice workaround not only for airdrops but for any website that requires you to register your email just to send you spam later.
tamanegi

Activity: 70

View Profile
October 25, 2017, 07:16:23 AM

When a development team launches a project they usually use free (airdrop) token as a reward by simply signing up on their website or application form, wherein a participants would provide his/her email address and even their wallet. They use airdrop to promote easily and quickly to the public to attract more people. Since those token are free, it is worth to try.
staradvincula

Activity: 350

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 08:14:05 AM

As far as I know, airdrop is a free token from our project. It is quit risky because we just dont know if its going to be a success or failure. It is worth to parcipate in anything that is for free.
tegalrejo

Activity: 392
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 26, 2017, 12:48:10 PM

airdrop is a free gift from developers when launching a project/

given to participants and investors who meet the requirements

of developers who aim to make successfull for their project   

and attract investors to invest in their projects.

as well as from airdrop have certain requirements to participate

as rank in bitcointalk and there is some free airdrop for all rankings in bitcointalk
gon

Activity: 460
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:09:40 AM

You can't find in advance. Their real price is known only when the tokens hit exchanges.

Some Airdrops could pay you $1 while others (like eBTC) could pay you $1500.

You will find a decent list at our site:

Airdrops.Wiki

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2323501.0

We will add another 10-20 airdrops today and out goal is to maintain a list of only active and worthy airdrops.
dustboy

Activity: 1022
Merit: 517

View Profile
October 27, 2017, 07:45:40 AM

It is worth to join as long as there is no difficult requirements to join. Free airdrop where we can join it by filling such google form with our address is always worth because we may earn some free money once they coin listed on exchange and have good value.
But now there are many airdrop with too much tasks to join such as using signature, send some amount of eth, or promoting in social media. I would avoid those airdrops if there is no clear plan/roadmap of the coins.
gon

Activity: 460
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 01:06:18 AM

It is worth to join as long as there is no difficult requirements to join. Free airdrop where we can join it by filling such google form with our address is always worth because we may earn some free money once they coin listed on exchange and have good value.
But now there are many airdrop with too much tasks to join such as using signature, send some amount of eth, or promoting in social media. I would avoid those airdrops if there is no clear plan/roadmap of the coins.

Yes, most are easy as just fill one form or make a simple site registration.

Don't miss the POSToken airdrop. They are accepting new members for another 30 hours. Sr. member Airdrops is worth ~$30.

You could POSToken and many more at our site:

Airdrops.Wiki

Our goal is to maintain a list of only active and worthy airdrops.

Just added:

- Rupee.Z, already tradable tokens, ~$3 - $25
- Shadow Cash
- LitecoinStake
- POWToken, Facebook login, ~$11
- BLZcoin
- Piggies, ~$3
hello_good_sir

Activity: 1008
Merit: 531

View Profile
October 28, 2017, 06:03:07 AM

An airdrop is when you essentially claim free coins from showing that you participated in doing something like promoting the project or advertising their project in your signature and get rewarded, or prove that you have a certain amount of cryptocurrency to claim the new coin.

Is it worth your time? I mean, you have to weigh in your options. If you have nothing to do then sure.

But if it's an obvious scam with time consuming tasks, then don't do it.

The_Dark_Knight

View Profile
October 31, 2017, 01:09:55 AM

Yes, most are easy as just fill one form or make a simple site registration.

Don't miss the POSToken airdrop. They are accepting new members for another 30 hours. Sr. member Airdrops is worth ~$30.

You could POSToken and many more at our site:

Airdrops.Wiki

Our goal is to maintain a list of only active and worthy airdrops.

Just added:

- Rupee.Z, already tradable tokens, ~$3 - $25
- Shadow Cash
- LitecoinStake
- POWToken, Facebook login, ~$11
- BLZcoin
- Piggies, ~$3
I did not knew about this website it contains very useful information so I’m bookmarking it for future reference, it is a shame but it seems that I lost the chance to get into the POSToken airdrop, I have never gotten into any airdrop except the recent ones that came from the bitcoin cash fork and the bitcoin gold fork, I never put too much attention to airdrops but thanks to this website that is something that I'm going to change in the future.
Qunenin

Activity: 966
Merit: 506

View Profile
November 06, 2017, 02:39:11 PM

You won't know until they are over. There are a couple out there and the coins are real, but the value of those coins is unknown until the release date. Also, if you are getting those coins, so are a lot of other people. It is like that adage about just printing more money to make an economy stronger, when all it does is provide a level amount to each person and that means that the relative adjustment is nil.

.1xBit.com.
███████████████
█████████████▀
█████▀▀       
███▀ ▄███     ▄
██▄▄████▌    ▄█
████████       
████████▌     
█████████    ▐█
██████████   ▐█
███████▀▀   ▄██
███▀   ▄▄▄█████