Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 04:31:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andreas Antonopoulos vs John Mcafee - Security  (Read 280 times)
Skrodk (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:33:52 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt-zXEsJ61U
3:43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=709&v=syI9X_uKvUA
4:06

So who's correct here? Secure or not secure?
n4poleon

Activity: 252
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:04:30 AM

I'd go with Andreas. In my opinion, mcaffe is kind of exaggerating as his launching a new product called sentinel, to me his kind of creating reason for you to buy in his product.
aleksej996

Activity: 490
Merit: 389

Do not trust the government

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:48:21 AM

As I see here for now, they are talking about two different things. They aren't really disagreeing with each other as far, as I can see, they seem to both be worried about security. Andreas is taking about the safety of holding Bitcoin and he warns the audience about the bad security practices, like using Windows.

John talked about the bad security of IoT that could be used to mining, even tho they wouldn't be very good at it. The biggest danger in this scenario could be 51% attack, but the problem here is that those IoT devices would need to be as good as rest of the network of ASICs.
Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 10:01:09 AM

Andreas is right with his statement that your most secure device is most likely your smartphone. He goes with the following assumptions (which are true):
a) Most people run Windows, which is inherently insecure and anti-privacy.
b) Most people have no knowledge or flawed knowledge regarding security and best practices.
c) People have a lot of *smarter* and IoT devices.

Based on this, your smartphone is likely not the one that's going to be compromised first (unless of course you load shady applications on it).

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
Skrodk (OP)

Activity: 45
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 17, 2017, 07:22:54 PM

I'd go with Andreas. In my opinion, mcaffe is kind of exaggerating as his launching a new product called sentinel, to me his kind of creating reason for you to buy in his product.

Pretty sure he doesn't really care how the Mcafee company is doing, He's sold his shares.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: