Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 09:43:35 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: why myetherwallet security not strong  (Read 1934 times)
Slowhand26

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:15:55 PM

I've been seeing to many MEW users are being hacked. May I ask what you usual activity why some are getting hacked? Because for me the security is good.

* I make sure that when I join campaign, public key is what I give not my private key
* I don't click scambots from slacks or any links that will require to access my MEW account
* I make sure my PC and Smartphone are the only devices I use to access my MEW

Are these measures can still be hacked? I mean, anything that will add more to secure my MEW? There are lot of options to open MEW but for now, only private key is what I use.
olushakes

Activity: 476
Merit: 254

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:20:34 PM

From some days, my myetherwallet accounts going hacked and i feel, they have to apply any special security feature like google authentication so that only the authentication key holder can access his account because nowadays many slack mails coming and asking for re-validation of eth wallet and get people private key. If any special security feature like google authentication taken for every transaction on wallet, it will not possible for any hacker to get your key or make any transaction from your account.

Although, I have not been a victim of hack but at the same time it shows that there is room for improvement on their part to have necessitated such rampant hacking. My etherwallet is one that have been the home of all ETH wallets we have around and to me, its just like Electrum in the case of bitcoin and if they can no longer live to the expectation of people who entrusted funds in their care, then they don't have right to be in the crypto business. Also, there is a need for individuals to be more careful in links clicked for verification and the likes.
rezurect

Activity: 686
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:25:36 PM

I've been seeing to many MEW users are being hacked. May I ask what you usual activity why some are getting hacked? Because for me the security is good.

* I make sure that when I join campaign, public key is what I give not my private key
* I don't click scambots from slacks or any links that will require to access my MEW account
* I make sure my PC and Smartphone are the only devices I use to access my MEW

Are these measures can still be hacked? I mean, anything that will add more to secure my MEW? There are lot of options to open MEW but for now, only private key is what I use.

Maybe you are already doing this, but bookmark MEW. So you can be sure you have followed the correct url.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:29:47 PM

Myetherwallet hasn't been hack.

Firstly because it's just an interface, there is no storage or website...
Secondly because if you've been hack, it's not because of myetherwallet, but always a human issue.

If your password has been hacked it's not because of myetherwallet, they don't store it. It's because of your pasword's weakness.
When you store thousands of euros, it might be usefull to find a strong password, not a 8 digit password... Except if you don't care loosing your money...

The other way to be hacked, is cliking on a false link. Some people send you to false myetherwallet link like my-etherwallet.com or other stuff.
Don't clik on it... Or it will send your password when you type it, to the hacker...

Good luck and sorry for your loss

Exactly! MyEtherWallet has never been hacked.

I think many people are still confused about what MyEtherWallet is. MyEtherWallet is NOT a web wallet. They do not store your funds. They do not collect or transmit your sensitive information (like your password or private key). You do not have an account with them. MEW simply gives you a way to interact with the ethereum blockchain via their UI. The ONLY thing they send is your ETH address in order to get the balance and when you generate a TX, they broadcast the signed transaction to the blockchain. That's all.

'Hacks' usually happens due to the user accessing a fake MyEtherWallet site. Aka phishing.
altercreed

Activity: 434
Merit: 101

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:34:45 PM

Maybe in the frontend, we can see that it's less secure because it doesn't have any 2-factor authentication or so. I think, Private Key is enough to make our wallet secure but one question that gets into my mind is that what if you forgot to close your wallet (browser) and somebody uses your computer? Of course he can see your private key, right? So i think, all we have to do is for us to be vigilant at all times. When using myetherwallet.com, always look for the MYETHERWALLET LLC (US) certificate to make sure you're in the legit website and not the phishing site.

JungleOnion

Activity: 868
Merit: 279

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 01:41:05 PM

never had problems with mew, but I can see how easy it is for hackers to steal private keys, etc. People don't get educated enough. What was that ICO that was doing a sale through emails? And then the hacker simply just changed the action button of "invest now" from the email template, redirect it to his wallet and done, people fell for it. Simple as that.
Mi5h0

Activity: 560
Merit: 273

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:41:37 PM

Yes, they can!
Using an unencrypted private key is generally a bad thing. I can think of several other scenario that a MEW user can lose his funds that wasn't phishing.
Keyloggers, malware, leaving your private key in a physical location for someone to find, remote access to your computer via software like TeamViewer, interception of the key when it was copy/pasted, etc.
The keystore file is a slightly safer option whereby it is the private key that is encrypted with a strong password of your choosing (the password that you entered when you generate your wallet). Hence, even if you lose your keystore file, there is still a hope that the attacker will not be able to crack the file and access your wallet.

Viberate team

Activity: 14
Merit: 6

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:46:37 PM

With so many new participants in the crypto world, hackers and phishers are taking advantage of this. Fake links, leading to fake urls, where privat keys are then stolen. Always check the url, always.
yusuf98

Activity: 307
Merit: 119

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:11:53 PM

we must be more careful of whatever is at risk. I also hope that the future of myetherwalet can be more secure, as input when we will login must be singkron with no personal cellular.
xianbits

Activity: 910
Merit: 257

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:39:41 PM

While that features are still on our minds, due diligence is what we really have to do. Only access your MEW with your address. If when going to the site and the address option don't show, then you are entering a phishing site. That's how smart hackers are so we have to.be smarter than them.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▌                          ▐
▌      ███████████████     ▐
▌      ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀     ▐
▌      ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄         ▐
▌      █████████████▄      ▐
▌      ████      ▀███▌     ▐
▌      ████       ▐███     ▐
▌      ████      ▄███▌     ▐
▌      █████████████▀      ▐
▌      ████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀         ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▌      ████                ▐
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

ERSISTENCE
BUILDING THE BRIDGE ━━━━━━━━━━━━━
Protocol Powering
Next-Gen Financial Products
/            ━━━
Buy XPRT
\               ▄▄▄▄
          ▄██▀▀▀▀██▄
     ▄▄▄▄██▀      ▀██
  ▄██▀▀▀██▀        ▐█▌
 ██▀     █▀  ▄    ▄██
▐█▌        ▄██▄▄▄██▀
 ██▄      ▄██▀▀▀▀
  ▀██▄▄▄▄██▀ 
     ▀▀▀▀   
DeFi

▄██▄  ▀████████▄
 ▄██▀▀██▄        ▀██▄
███    ▀██▄        ███
 ▀██▄    ▀██▄    ▄██▀
   ▀██▄    ▀██▄▄██▀
     ▀██▄    ▀██▀
       ▀██▄▄██▀
         ▀██▀
NFT

▄██▄
                  ▄██▀▀██▄
       ▄██▄     ▄██▀    ▀██▄
     ▄██▀▀██▄ ▄██▀        ▀██▄
   ▄██▀    █████            ▀██▄
 ▄██▀    ▄██▀ ▀██▄            ▀██▄
██▀    ▄███▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███▄
PoS

ANN | Twitter | Medium | GitHub
Reddit | YouTube | Discord
Telegram ANN | Telegram Community
boranes

Activity: 644
Merit: 253

Change Your Worlds Build a New Era!

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:48:41 PM

From some days, my myetherwallet accounts going hacked and i feel, they have to apply any special security feature like google authentication so that only the authentication key holder can access his account because nowadays many slack mails coming and asking for re-validation of eth wallet and get people private key. If any special security feature like google authentication taken for every transaction on wallet, it will not possible for any hacker to get your key or make any transaction from your account.
Who is there to blame, myetherwallet or peoples mistakes?
Users have to be careful when they are clicking on links and should always double check every link where money is involved and there will be no problems with hacked accounts and stolen funds.

░░░░░▄██░██░██▄        ████████████████▄     ███▄░░░░░░░▄███
░░░▄███▀░██░▀███▄     ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████     ▀████░░░░░████▀
░▄███▀░░░██░░░▀███▄  ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███     ░▀████░░░████▀░
▄███▀░░░░██░░░░▀███▄ ░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄███     ░░▀██▀░▄████▀░░
███▀░░░░░██░░░░░▀███ ░░░█████████████▀     ░░░▀░▄█████▀░░░
████░░░░░██░░░░░████ ░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▀         ░░░▄███████▄░░░
▀████░░░░░░░░░░████▀ ░░░░░░░░░░░████         ░░▄████░████▄░░
░▀████░░░░░░░░████▀   ░░░░░░░░░░░░████       ░▄████░░░████▄░
░░░▀███▄░░░░▄███▀       ░░░░░░░░░░░░░████     ▄████░░░░░████▄
░░░░░  ██████▀           ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀██     ███▀░░░░░░░▀███
The Future of Gaming Comission
FreeGames And Items Exchange
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
enawati

Activity: 574
Merit: 102

https://adonx.one

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:50:39 PM

Yes to many link phising of MyEtherWallet now,  everyday i got that link phising via slack . I agree, MyEtherWallet account need more security like need to add fitur google authenticator like all exchange, to be more secure. To protect MyEtherWallet from link phising make sure login from bookmark link. Never click link of MyEtherWallet except from bookmark link is very important to keep MEW account  from hacker.

CurrencyMaster

Activity: 93
Merit: 5

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:52:50 PM

best is to use new myetherwallet for each ico or airdrops..and dont keep all funds in one wallet

█ █   TIPPER   |   THE SOCIAL ECONOMY   █ █
█████████     ICO LIVE NOW     █████████
━━━━━   WWW.TIPPERECONOMY.IO   ━━━━━
grizmoblust

Activity: 379
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:02:14 PM

I total agree with you. I think Devs have to apply some new security to protect personal etherwallet. Before that, Users must be careful with their activities. Don't click any strange links.  Undecided

░░░▄▀█░░░▄░▄▄░▄░░░█▀▄
▄▄▄▀▀██▀░█▐▌█ ▀██▀▀▄▄▄
▐▌░░░▐▀░▄▀░▐▌░▀▄░▀▌░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▄▀▄▐▌▄▀▄░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░░█░░▀▄░▀▀░▄▀░░█░░░▐▌
▐▌░░▄░█▄░▀▄▐▌▄▀░▄█░▄░░▐▌
▐▌░█▄█░░▀▀▀██▀▀▀░░█▄█░▐▌
▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
▐█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▌
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░░░░░▄█▄
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄█▄░░░
░░░░▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░█▀▄▄▀▄▄▀█░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░▐▌▐▌
░░░░░░░░█▄░░░░▄█
█▄█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█░░░░▄▄▀▀▀▄▄
░░░░▄▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄██▀█▌▀▄
░░░██▄██▄▄█▀█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄▄▄▄▄█▄█▌█▐█▄█▌█▐█
░░░░█▄█░░░░░█▄▄█▄█▄█▄█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀░░░▀▀▄█▄█▄▀▀

░░░██▄▄░░██░██
▄▄░░░░░▀█░█▄▐▌░░░░░▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▐▌▄█▐▌░░░░█░▀▀
░░░░░░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀░░▄▄
░░░░░░█░▀▀▀▀▀▀▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀
░░▄▄▄▄▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▄
░░▀▀░░█▄▀▀▀▀▀█▄▀
░░░░░░░█▐▌▀█░█
██▀▀▀▀▀▀▐▌░█░░▀▀▀▀▀▀█
░░░░░░░░██░░▀▀▀▀▀██░██
hahahafr

Activity: 938
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:02:33 PM

I have been using myetherwallet for months, and i never had an issue with them, it is one of the most secure wallets that i have used since i started to use cryptocurrencies, and their security meassures are so good mate, you can unblock your wallet via your json, private key, password and a lot of more stuff, i dont understand how you could be hacked, it is almost impossible because you have a lot of tools to grow your security in there.

◢◣                      ◢◣
                                     ◢████◣           ◢████◣
                               ◢████████◣◢████████◣
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████████
                               █████████████◤██████
                               ███████████◤████████
                               █████████◤██████████
                               ███████◤████████████
                               █████◤██████████████
                               █████◣                       ◢█████
                               ███████◣            ◢███████
                               █████████◣◢█████████
                               ◥████████◤◥████████◤
                                    ◥████◤            ◥████◤
                                          ◥◤                      

HYDAX
       Secure  
   Efficient
   Simple  
   Medium 
    Twitter  
    Telegram 
[/center
thesmallgod

Activity: 1498
Merit: 129

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:10:38 PM

Myetherwallet security is not that weak. the problem is that many of these black hat hackers looks for loopholes alot. some of them spend months studying ways and how to steal coin from peoples wallet however most of accounts being successfully hacked are caused by users. e.g account with passwords that have dictionary meanings. also it has been confirmed that some hacker usually have remote access to your computer when you install cracked antivirus which allow them to steal your private keys
lonelykid1984

Activity: 35
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:13:32 PM

Tools like MEW are created to make our life easier, not to make us knowledgeable enough to use wisely. If you can easily get hacked in the way most people use it, that simply means they need to change their security feature or people will leave. Of course, it's my responsibility to keep my money safe. However, it's their responsibility to make it easy to use their service safely if they want more people like it.
giveen

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:22:48 PM

Lol you dumb it is impossible for anyone to hack you myetherwallet unless he knows your password and has tge utc file. Both are impossible to get as utc file is normally stored on your desktop unless your desktop is compromised getting the password is also hard.
You might have lost it because of the phishing that have veen occuring lately you should always check the site and vetter to bookmark the site to avoid future incidents like this.
btcdepo

Activity: 322
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:44:54 PM

They should invest more on security testing, penetration testing, vulnerability testing by making agreement with white hat hackers. I'm following many hackhathons on mew and most of the times hackers are succeeding to steal the money, it is really concerning.

The FASTEST and MOST SECURE  Token Exchange.
▬▬  ETHERSHIFT  ▬▬  No More Waiting! Main Sale Starts Nov 05, 2018.  ▬▬  ETHERSHIFT  ▬▬
WHITEPAPER | ANN | TELEGRAM | TWITTER | REDDIT | DISCORD
ghonkz

Activity: 459
Merit: 117

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:47:24 PM

don't save your public key on email Sad
maybe
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: