Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 01:10:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BUG in altcoin wallets running as -server?  (Read 586 times)
Jeronimus (OP)

Activity: 97
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 01:39:46 AM

http://imgur.com/bFxVk01

This is not just related to phenixcoin, but also happens with the worldcoin wallet. As far as i can tell, you do not find any blocks while this is happening (could be a very rare coincidence however)

The wallet was installed on xubuntu 12.10 running within virtualbox. Windows 7 host.

sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libssl-dev
sudo apt-get install libboost-all-dev
sudo apt-get install libqrencode-dev

miniupnpc
---------
tar -xzvf miniupnpc-1.6.tar.gz
cd miniupnpc-1.6
make
sudo su
make install

Berkeley DB
-----------
You need Berkeley DB 4.8.  If you have to build Berkeley DB yourself:
../dist/configure --enable-cxx
make

I installed miniupnpc and libdb to the exact versions mentioned above just to make sure it is not this causing the issue.

Any insights why i get this, and did anyone else notice it? (you won't notice if you just run the daemon i suppose)

Eva Braun

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:03:28 AM

wow this is definitly a weird problem idk.
Jeronimus (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:37:01 AM

Yes, it is really strange. What i find more strange is that it seems i am the only one who notices this. It's trying to build the litecoin blockchain seemingly at random times. WDC and Phenix have this issue, but probably all other alts except ltc of course.
rolloffacliffpleaseanddie

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:29:49 AM

Good luck solving this
Xanthe

Activity: 72

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 03:57:40 AM

Yes, it is really strange. What i find more strange is that it seems i am the only one who notices this. It's trying to build the litecoin blockchain seemingly at random times. WDC and Phenix have this issue, but probably all other alts except ltc of course.

You're not the only one with this issue, rest assured. I have this exact issue too with pretty much all alt-coins. I immediately configure my wallets for solo mining when I install them so they're always running with the "server=1" option. I had never stopped to think about whether or not this only occurs with that setting. I don't know if solo mining can continue when this problem occurs as I usually only see this problem later in the coin's life when I've already migrated to a pool (difficulty increased). I can't locate the place where I read this before but I've seen it mentioned that this can be caused by a bad node poisoning the network. I've been meaning to learn more about how coin networks work to see if this is really the case.

For reference, I'm running a 64bit, Debian-based Linux. Berkeley DB is version 5.1.29 and miniupnpc is 1.5. That said, I think this is more of a network issue than a client issue, but I could be wrong.
Jeronimus (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:53:24 AM

You're not the only one with this issue, rest assured. I have this exact issue too with pretty much all alt-coins. I immediately configure my wallets for solo mining when I install them so they're always running with the "server=1" option. I had never stopped to think about whether or not this only occurs with that setting. I don't know if solo mining can continue when this problem occurs as I usually only see this problem later in the coin's life when I've already migrated to a pool (difficulty increased). I can't locate the place where I read this before but I've seen it mentioned that this can be caused by a bad node poisoning the network. I've been meaning to learn more about how coin networks work to see if this is really the case.

For reference, I'm running a 64bit, Debian-based Linux. Berkeley DB is version 5.1.29 and miniupnpc is 1.5. That said, I think this is more of a network issue than a client issue, but I could be wrong.

Did you also experience the same behavior. Finding a lot of blocks, then all of the sudden (usually paired with the random litecoin blockchain build attempt) nothing for 10+ hours?
Xanthe

Activity: 72

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 06:19:34 AM

Did you also experience the same behavior. Finding a lot of blocks, then all of the sudden (usually paired with the random litecoin blockchain build attempt) nothing for 10+ hours?

If you mean finding blocks as in solo mining when the "Synchronizing with network..." message comes up, I've not actually tested that, sorry. It just so happens that I've never been solo mining while this issue has occurred (I usually only solo mine at the release of a coin when the difficulty is low). For whatever reason, these alt-coins don't seem to run into this problem until days after release, long after I've moved on to pool mining. When the problem occurs, my client does seem to stay up-to-date with the blockchain, even if it says it's not. If I restart the client, the synchronizing message and progress bar go away and all seems normal until, of course, the issue happens again (usually every ~30minutes).
Jeronimus (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 10:12:25 PM

So it seems stablecoin is supposed to have fixed this according to the announce.
rolloffacliffpleaseanddie

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 12:42:07 AM

This is weird
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: