Bitcoin Forum
May 28, 2024, 05:48:12 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many bitcoins have been mined.  (Read 356 times)
Bogdan1612 (OP)

Activity: 2
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:00:00 PM

I am yet to fully understand how the bitcoin or any crypto, works entierly and if someone does not mind helping me clear a few thoughts that cross my mind.
if there's only 21 million bitcoins to be mined by year 2100+ , why is that the majority have already been mined in such a short amount of time, why has it been so "easy" ?
My understanding is that the miners are the ones that keep the blockchain alive. Now, that it will get harder and harder for them to mine, they will be less and less miners in the blockchain.
If they will make income of just the transactions, wouldn't that make up for higher fees? If so, doesn't that go against the whole idea of having small fees, compare to what the current banks offer.
At the end of the day, crypto its a good investment or opportunity for people to make money but when theres no money to be made, then what?
Thanks .
cng-

Activity: 23

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:02:01 PM

Hi the fees will be small because the price of bitcoins will increase!
saleenasmith

Activity: 28

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:09:21 PM

The world of Bitcoin is in for quite a reality shock in about a year from now. As most people are well aware of, the amount of bitcoins being mined every day is much compared to a few years ago. What is even more intriguing is how the vast majority of BTC has been mined already. In January of 2018, 80% of all 21 million BTC will be mined and brought into circulation. A significant milestone that should not be overlooked by any means.
AtheistAKASaneBrain

Activity: 770
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:15:37 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2017, 01:53:45 PM by AtheistAKASaneBrain

Just look at this:

Then read this:

https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Controlled_supply

Basically, the supply is predictable, the inflation rate is decreasing every 4 years, and why people mine bitcoins? well, because it's profitable for them, easy as that.
13abyknight

Activity: 602
Merit: 252

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:15:57 PM

I am yet to fully understand how the bitcoin or any crypto, works entierly and if someone does not mind helping me clear a few thoughts that cross my mind.
if there's only 21 million bitcoins to be mined by year 2100+ , why is that the majority have already been mined in such a short amount of time, why has it been so "easy" ?
My understanding is that the miners are the ones that keep the blockchain alive. Now, that it will get harder and harder for them to mine, they will be less and less miners in the blockchain.
If they will make income of just the transactions, wouldn't that make up for higher fees? If so, doesn't that go against the whole idea of having small fees, compare to what the current banks offer.
At the end of the day, crypto its a good investment or opportunity for people to make money but when theres no money to be made, then what?
Thanks .

This is mostly because Bitcoin gained a lot of traction when it surpassed the $1000 mark a few years ago. At that time, it saw a growth of over 80% new users and obviously a good amount of them would've started mining. As we move ahead, keep in mind that the block reward will keep decreasing exponentially as more and more BTC is mined. With more users mining, it could reach 85-90% of total supply in a few years from now and the last 10% would probably take a decade or two.
tamilbitcoin

Activity: 48

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 01:23:20 PM

This is mostly because Bitcoin gained a lot of traction when it surpassed the $1000 mark a few years ago. At that time, it saw a growth of over 80% new users and obviously a good amount of them would've started mining. As we move ahead, keep in mind that the block reward will keep decreasing exponentially as more and more BTC is mined. With more users mining, it could reach 85-90% of total supply in a few years from now and the last 10% would probably take a decade or two.
A decade or two? Whoa... Might be due to many miners would have quit mining by that time.
rebel92

Activity: 616
Merit: 260

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:48:57 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2017, 02:43:04 PM by rebel92

A decade or two? Whoa... Might be due to many miners would have quit mining by that time.

Miners require a block in order to mine for a new block, and therefore a miner who finds block gets a head start on finding the next block. In fact, the miner can start mining under the assumption that their found block is valid without others validating it or even without validating it themselves.
Wipro

Activity: 924
Merit: 512

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:53:56 PM

Thanks .

In last segregated witness block site increased more in numbers. When bitcoin being mined supply will be normal. If there is any issue in the block segregation and fees increment time mostly all the transactions are delayed whenever the transaction pass up and down.
dasdo

Activity: 216
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:54:45 PM

The world of Bitcoin is in for quite a reality shock in about a year from now. As most people are well aware of, the amount of bitcoins being mined every day is much compared to a few years ago. What is even more intriguing is how the vast majority of BTC has been mined already. In January of 2018, 80% of all 21 million BTC will be mined and brought into circulation. A significant milestone that should not be overlooked by any means.
Have already produced 80% of the bitcoins mined? whence such data? I think your information is not relevant. Now only 45-50% of bitcoins are mined and each time mining is complicated and many miners have to extract other more promising crypto-currencies. If I'm not right about something, correct it. Thank you in advance.
Lieldoryn

Activity: 630
Merit: 272

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:55:39 PM

The level of production of coins is steadily decreasing. It is clear. I don't understand why people would get them. If the price of bitcoin will continue to grow steadily, everything is clear. What if this happens? The price of bitcoin does not depend on its production. It depends on the demand. It turns out that if the price of bitcoin will decrease or stop the production of coins will be stopped?
joebrook

Activity: 644
Merit: 259

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 01:59:37 PM

It is very obvious though, people mostly when and unemployed people are entering in the bitcoin mining business so that they can make some money and there are even government sponsored mining companies who mine the cryptocurrency for their country.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
YoBit AirDrop $|
Get 700 YoDollars for Free!
🏆
sukoon

Activity: 50

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:03:22 PM

the rate at wich bitcoin are  mined by miners is something of concern for btc traders and investors coz the rate at which btc are minned is too high so after few years btc will increase in quantity and lose its value.
HonestSurfer

Activity: 46

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:12:28 PM

I think one of the important insights is that "As inflation goes to zero miners will obtain an income only from transaction fees which will provide an incentive to keep mining to make transactions irreversible."
mk4
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 3843

Paldo.io 🤖

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:17:10 PM

the rate at wich bitcoin are  mined by miners is something of concern for btc traders and investors coz the rate at which btc are minned is too high so after few years btc will increase in quantity and lose its value.

Looks like someone didn't do his/her research.  Wink

While bitcoin's hashrate increases due to more people trying out mining, the difficulty also increases, hence also lowering the bitcoins being minted. The difficulty gives bitcoin mining a sort of balance. And yes, the quantity will increase. But along with it, demand also will most probably increase, as long as mining difficulty. So it definitely wouldn't lose value. Not to mention bitcoin is only capped at 21 million.

https://blockchain.info/charts

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3402
Merit: 4656

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:30:38 PM

if there's only 21 million bitcoins to be mined by year 2100+ , why is that the majority have already been mined in such a short amount of time,

Because that is the way Satoshi set it up.

Bitcoin is designed so that a block gets create on average about once every 10 minutes.  In the beginning it was set up so that each block created 50 bitcoins.  That continued for 210,000 blocks.  Then the amount of new bitcoins created with each block gets cut in half. It continues to get cut in half every 210,000 blocks.

210,000 blocks at a rate of 1 block every 10 minutes is approximately 4 years.

This means that HALF of all the bitcoins that will ever exist were created in the first 4 years.  Then half of the remaining bitcoins that will ever exist (one-fourth of ALL bitcoins) were created in the next 4 years.  At that point, three-fourths (one-half + one-fourth) of all bitcoins had been created.  Then half of the remaining bitcoins (one-eighth of ALL bitcoins) will be created in the following 4 years (we are currently about 25% of the way through that right now).  This continues creating ever smaller amounts of new bitcoins every 4 years until somewhere around the year 2136 when each block will create 0.00000001 new bitcoins.  After that the amount is reduced to 0 new bitcoins from then on.

So, in the year 2020 when it is cut from 12.5 new bitcoins per block to 6.25 new bitcoins per block, seven-eighths of all bitcoins will already have been created.  Then in the following four years, one-sixteenth of all bitcoins (half of the remaining eight) will be created, leaving only one-sixteenth left not yet created.

why has it been so "easy" ?

The difficulty is adjusted to keep the global mining rate close to one block every 10 minutes.  As more mining power is added to the system, blocks get created too quickly, so the protocol requires the difficulty to be increased.  If global mining power ever decreases, blocks will get created too slowly, so the protocol requires the difficulty to be reduced in that case.

Specifically, the difficulty adjustment is made once every 2016 blocks.  If it takes less than 20160 minutes to create those 2016 blocks, then the blocks are occurring too quickly.  The difficulty is increased proportionally to slow the rate back down to 10 minutes per block.  If it takes more than 20160 minutes to create those 2016 blocks, then the blocks are occurring too slowly.  The difficulty is decreased proportionally to speed the rate back up to 10 minutes per block.

If the total global hash rate decreases, then it will get easier to mine.

If they will make income of just the transactions, wouldn't that make up for higher fees?

The subsidy of new bitcoins will get cut in half approximately every 4 years.  Eventually, more of the miner's revenue will come from the transaction fees and less from the subsidy.  This is how bitcoins was designed to operate.  Eventually, all of the miner's revenue will some from the transaction fees.

If so, doesn't that go against the whole idea of having small fees, compare to what the current banks offer.

The Satoshi whitepaper said NOTHING about bitcoin having lower fees.  Bitcoin was designed to eventually operate on a fee based system.

At the end of the day, crypto its a good investment or opportunity for people to make money

Bitcoin is intended to BE money.  It is not intended to be an "investment opportunity for people to make money".  Right now, because its popularity is growing and there is a high demand for owning bitcoins, the exchange rate is going up quickly.  There will come a time though when the exchange rate will stabilize.  At that time it will still be very useful for paying for things and storing value.

but when theres no money to be made, then what?

Then people will use it, just like they use any other form of money.  They will have a job that will pay them with bitcoins.  They will use bitcoins to pay for things.  They will invest their bitcoins in businesses or loans.
Xenrise

Activity: 672
Merit: 251

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:31:46 PM

Because there is a lot of supply. And those supplies are just here to be mined by miners all around the globe. And you wouldn't be surprised if those bitcoins would be mined. Because of higher demands the price of it will go HIGH!
Mikasa77

Activity: 140
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:40:02 PM

Thanks .
It is true that bitcoin is only limited for about 21 million and most of are already mined for a short period of time. It will be harder for the miners to mine the remaining bitcoin since theres only a few amount left in bitcoin and i think the price of the bitcoin will be more higher since it is harder to find. Also i agreed to you that investing in crypto is a good idea as well as an opportunity to people to make money.

♦ UNIQUE GAMES ♦     Tower.bet     ♦   DAILY RACES   ♦
██   ██   ██   ██████████████████████████████████████████████   ██   ██   ██
$41,000+ Level Bonuses   ★   300 DOGE Signup Bonus
Rinsend

Activity: 784
Merit: 262

AZBI NETWORK - Multichain system

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:48:37 PM

It is very obvious though, people mostly when and unemployed people are entering in the bitcoin mining business so that they can make some money and there are even government sponsored mining companies who mine the cryptocurrency for their country.
of course by looking at the high unemployment rate and advanced technology so fast it can change people's thinking by looking for easier business and make a lot of money.
mining is now in the interest of many people.
which causes bitcoin to have been in the mines.
it would be quite possible if the mine encounters the end point in the near future.
and maybe this will make the bitcoin price higher

▰ AZBI ▰     White Paper
              LinkedIn Twitter Telegram
slapper
Legendary

Activity: 1932
Merit: 1097

Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:08:21 PM

Hi the fees will be small because the price of bitcoins will increase!
What the fuck man? The fee is calculated compare to the price of bitcoin, not to the price of USD. The higher the price of bitcoin is, the higher the fee will be. Stop saying something that you do not know about it. You such an idiot man

..Stake.com..   ▄████████████████████████████████████▄
   ██ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄            ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██  ▄████▄
   ██ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██████████ ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ██  ██████
   ██ ██████████ ██      ██ ██████████ ██   ▀██▀
   ██ ██      ██ ██████  ██ ██      ██ ██    ██
   ██ ██████  ██ █████  ███ ██████  ██ ████▄ ██
   ██ █████  ███ ████  ████ █████  ███ ████████
   ██ ████  ████ ██████████ ████  ████ ████▀
   ██ ██████████ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ██████████ ██
   ██            ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀            ██ 
   ▀█████████▀ ▄████████████▄ ▀█████████▀
  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███  ██  ██  ███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
 ██████████████████████████████████████████
▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄
█  ▄▀▄             █▀▀█▀▄▄
█  █▀█             █  ▐  ▐▌
█       ▄██▄       █  ▌  █
█     ▄██████▄     █  ▌ ▐▌
█    ██████████    █ ▐  █
█   ▐██████████▌   █ ▐ ▐▌
█    ▀▀██████▀▀    █ ▌ █
█     ▄▄▄██▄▄▄     █ ▌▐▌
█                  █▐ █
█                  █▐▐▌
█                  █▐█
▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀█
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄██▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀██▄
▄█▀       ▐█▌       ▀█▄
██         ▐█▌         ██
████▄     ▄█████▄     ▄████
████████▄███████████▄████████
███▀    █████████████    ▀███
██       ███████████       ██
▀█▄       █████████       ▄█▀
▀█▄    ▄██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▄  ▄▄▄█▀
▀███████         ███████▀
▀█████▄       ▄█████▀
▀▀▀███▄▄▄███▀▀▀
..PLAY NOW..
salihno71

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:46:06 PM

Now, that it will get harder and harder for them to mine, they will be less and less miners in the blockchain.

Blockchain has a factor called difficulty which determines the size of entire mining network and corrects itself based on that - more mining power, higher difficulty and vice versa. This is done once every 2016 blocks which is approximately every 14 days. Protocol is designed in this way that approximately every 10 minutes new block should be mined. This parameter exists so it can keep the lid on the production. https://charts.bitcoin.com/chart/difficulty
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: