Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 11:21:25 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ledger Nano S among top Amazon computer accessories  (Read 397 times)
abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1159
Merit: 1001

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 02:54:55 PM
Last edit: October 16, 2017, 07:37:41 PM by abercrombie

From this worker that packs Amazon items.

"I work for Amazon as a packer and ever since they've added the nano to the site I've packed at least 2 and up to 5 each day I've been at work. Seems like a good sign crypto and BTC more specifically is becoming more and more popular."

https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/76maqz/ledger_nanos_are_flying/

Supporting this claim, the Ledger Nano S has been among the top sellers in the Computer accessories section.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories/zgbs/pc

eternalgloom
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1283

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 03:04:47 PM

Very interesting, it would be cool if we could see some actual statistics on sales numbers instead of one testimony of an Amazon employee + a spot in the best sellers list on Amazon.

I do wonder if it's people who are new to Bitcoin who're buying those hardware wallets or if it's people who've known about Bitcoin, but are just switching over to hardware wallets instead of software wallets.

Can't imagine that newbies buy a hardware wallet straight away, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts about this?

abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:16:21 PM

I do wonder if it's people who are new to Bitcoin who're buying those hardware wallets or if it's people who've known about Bitcoin, but are just switching over to hardware wallets instead of software wallets.

Can't imagine that newbies buy a hardware wallet straight away, but I could be wrong.
Ledger Nano S also has duel usage as for Gmail, dropbox, and other sites that use FIDO authentication.  So it's possible to just use for those purposes, but I suspect these are Coinbase guys that are getting into Crypto.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:18:43 PM

A bit off topic: I'm on the fence whether to buy a Trezor or a Ledger S. I know they are both good. BUT:

1. I recently heard that Trezor had some security vulnerability exposed (with its recovery seed, I believe). What happened there, and is this a danger for the future?

2. Once my device arrives, I want to test the recovery seed (pretend I lost my device, and use the recovery seed to recover my wallet). As I understand, if I do this with the Ledger, the seed and thus my device will be worthless afterwards; whereas with the Trezor this is possible without problems. Correct?

Any hints of knowledgeable people would make me a happy hodler!
abercrombie (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:42:14 PM

A bit off topic: I'm on the fence whether to buy a Trezor or a Ledger S. I know they are both good. BUT:

1. I recently heard that Trezor had some security vulnerability exposed (with its recovery seed, I believe). What happened there, and is this a danger for the future?

2. Once my device arrives, I want to test the recovery seed (pretend I lost my device, and use the recovery seed to recover my wallet). As I understand, if I do this with the Ledger, the seed and thus my device will be worthless afterwards; whereas with the Trezor this is possible without problems. Correct?

I'm partial to Ledger, since I've had the Ledger HW.1, Nano original, and now Nano S.  

Trezor patched it in the latest firmware.  Physical access to the Trezor is required for that vulnerability.

As for testing Ledger or Trezor seeds, download these Bip39 files from Github.  Disconnect Internet and load in an incognito/private browsing session.  I like to boot offline to a Ubuntu trial CD, load up the HTML file, then plug in your seed to make sure the same destination addresses are produced.  Even the optional passphrase works.  Don't do this if you don't trust your computer.

Or, a more secure way is just to erase your hardware wallet, and start from scratch restoring the previous seed (takes a long time with spelling via button pushes).
European Central Bank
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1087

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:45:46 PM

Ledger Nano S also has duel usage as for Gmail, dropbox, and other sites that use FIDO authentication.  So it's possible to just use for those purposes, but I suspect these are Coinbase guys that are getting into Crypto.

interesting. i never knew it had that function and there must be way cheaper options for anyone who does need that only.

i remember the ledger guy stating on reddit that they expected to ship one million units by the end of this year. i have no idea whether that's marketing boasts or not, but the super long delays that have popped up tell us a few things.
Dr Bloggood

Activity: 336
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:40:36 PM

I'm partial to Ledger, since I've had the Ledger HW.1, Nano original, and now Nano S.  

Trezor patched it in the latest firmware.  Physical access to the Trezor is required for that vulnerability.

As for testing Ledger or Trezor seeds, download these Bip39 files from Github.  Disconnect Internet and load in an incognito/private browsing session.  I like to boot offline to a Ubuntu trial CD, load up the HTML file, then plug in your seed to make sure the same destination addresses are produced.  Even the optional passphrase works.  Don't do this if you don't trust your computer.

Or, a more secure way is just to erase your hardware wallet, and start from scratch restoring the previous seed (takes a long time with spelling via button pushes).

Great, thank you!!

I would choose the second, more secure option, for my peace of mind. I knew you could do that on Trezor, but thought it wasn't possible with the Ledger.
saponetes

Activity: 420
Merit: 18

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:14:26 PM

i also bought and received one. It took a lot of time untill be available at ledgerwallet, more than a month.
Hope to keep my most important digital coins in there in a near future.
xskl0

Activity: 378
Merit: 260

Bitcoin SV is Bitcoin

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 05:34:12 PM

I think Amazon will add btc payments soon  Cheesy

BUY / SELL bitcoins  --->  https://bit2me.com/?r=ryOV8xZNb
bitcoinjames6

Activity: 47
Merit: 0

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:49:57 PM

Really interesting!! I love my Ledger Nano S.

Good to see a strong source like Amazon showing signs of demand
blazingshockwave

Activity: 173
Merit: 10

Astorgame.com | ICO is LIVE | Get Your Bonus

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 07:56:53 PM

"I work for Amazon as a packer and ever since they've added the nano to the site I've packed at least 2 and up to 5 each day I've been at work. Seems like a good sign crypto and BTC more specifically is becoming more and more popular."

Supporting this claim, the Ledger Nano S has been among the top sellers in the Computer accessories section.

I wouldn't be surprise because even ordered Ledger Nano S to secure my cryptocurrency. I highly recommend to buy this item if you are god damn serious in investing in cryptocurrency.

Astorgame.com  | eSports & Online Gambling | ICO is LIVE
BONUS for early investors
▬▬▬ ◈◈  Website ◈◈  Whitepaper ◈◈  ANN thread ◈◈  Facebook ◈◈  Twitter ◈◈  Telegram ▬▬▬
bitart

Activity: 1442
Merit: 629

Vires in Numeris

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 08:32:57 PM

i also bought and received one. It took a lot of time untill be available at ledgerwallet, more than a month.
Hope to keep my most important digital coins in there in a near future.
Sure, shipping of the Ledger Nano S is a really long time now, 1 month for waiting to get your order processed and some weeks to receive the device physically. (If you choose DPD the second part can be less than a week). I don't know if it makes any difference in connection with the order processing time if you buy from Amazon or directly from the seller's website.
Intel 4004

Activity: 84

Nimium ne crede colori

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:07:09 PM

That's a fantastic news! I just bought a new one from the Original Store tho (in my opinion is "safer" to buy from the source).
I checked on .de, .es and .it amazon stores and they are there too.  Cool
tenakha

Activity: 1470
Merit: 509

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:18:08 PM

I never risk to buy hardware wallets from online shopping sellers. Safest way is to purchase on authorised sellers or directly order from official nano ledger site.
Coinve.st

Activity: 700
Merit: 14

Coin ● https://coindefi.org

View Profile WWW
October 16, 2017, 09:18:48 PM

How does it compare with sales from the Trezor?
BelieveInBitcoin

Activity: 98

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 09:53:07 PM

I bought a Ledger Nano soon after getting my Bitcoin as I was paranoid I would have it stolen! Now i'm more relaxed and leave my Bitcoin on exchanges to be lent out.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: