Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:34:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone can offer some help/insight about old video cards and mining.  (Read 173 times)
Talentless (OP)

Activity: 26
Merit: 1

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 03:29:41 PM

Hello. I want to learn and understand basics of mining, before i decide if i want to jump into this train or not, so i have a low spec PC, with ASUS HD 4890 video card, i know its old, inefficient, power hungry heat generator, but i want to learn with it, start with it.

Now the problem is - i cant seem to find ANY miner which would work with it, I was reading all the guides and forums like crazy, but still nothing. Most modern miners simply do not support my card.

SGminer and CGminer kind-ish works for me, i mean it loads my GPU but the "WU" - good work done is always at 0 and all i get is HW errors. Thus im doing nothing.

There are very little info about solo alt coins mining. While im very interested as others call "shit" coins and solo/pool mining of them.

From more popular alt coins I was trying to mine XMR (Monero) and Dash but their algorithms are different and maybe not supported by old miners?

I tried lots of different coins, algorithms and miners, but i feel like im shooting randomly and expect anything out of it.

Which algorithms are possible with my GPU?

Which miners? and Alt coins i could try to "mine" and learn.

Any info, guides - anything will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:22:10 PM

I think you have already figured out that your card will not work with current algos. If you are interested in getting into mining why not buy a single useful card that will let you test as many coins as you want? You can buy something for under $200 that will help you get started.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
October 16, 2017, 04:25:02 PM

I think you have already figured out that your card will not work with current algos. If you are interested in getting into mining why not buy a single useful card that will let you test as many coins as you want? You can buy something for under $200 that will help you get started.

Actually even below $50 if buying used...Radeon 78xx or 79xx, R7 or R9 cards with 2 GB RAM
can run most algos, even all ethash coins except ETH and ETC
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: