Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:28:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it legal to offer bitcoin to moneypak exchange service?  (Read 2218 times)
Luciddd (OP)

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 02:29:21 AM

I've heard mixed opinions in this area. Any educated opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

If it isn't legal, how are other sites operating without problem?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 05:04:15 PM

I've heard mixed opinions in this area. Any educated opinions on the subject would be appreciated.

Is it smart to be asking for legal advice on the Internet? Leaving aside the exact corner you've picked.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
bitcoinbear

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 07, 2013, 07:28:59 PM

A better question is why wouldn't it be legal? Do you have to ask for permission for everything, or are you a free person?

CryptoNote needs you! Join the elite merged mining forces right now here in Fantomcoin topic: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=598823.0
Luciddd (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 03:21:51 AM

Is it smart to be asking for legal advice on the Internet? Leaving aside the exact corner you've picked.

Get out of here troll. Advice from a collective source is better from one source, no amount of schooling gives you all the right answers.

A better question is why wouldn't it be legal? Do you have to ask for permission for everything, or are you a free person?

Re-read my post and you'll get the answer.

buyer

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 04:31:05 AM

Depends on the state you are in and how you do it.  And why in the world would you want to make such a site when an awesome btc 2 moneypak site already exists? 

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=224763.0
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 11:10:38 AM

If it wasn't, why would the "Legal" section even exist?  O, I see wat u did their.

-W.E. Coyote, Esq.

MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
June 08, 2013, 05:55:49 PM

Well this escalated quickly....

If it wasn't, why would the "Legal" section even exist?  O, I see wat u did their.

-W.E. Coyote, Esq.

Plz not to troll the OP. A lot of sources are better than one source and no amount of schooling can make you a legalist or w/e it's called. A bunch of people gathering around a keg and chanting is the way to go.

Tbh I kinda enjoy the new America.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 06:29:25 PM
Last edit: June 11, 2013, 06:46:28 PM by crumbs

-W.E. Coyote, Esq.

Plz not to troll the OP. A lot of sources are better than one source and no amount of schooling can make you a legalist or w/e it's called. A bunch of people gathering around a keg and chanting is the way to go.

There we go.  Without a word of guidance, my domestics cleaned up our mess.  BTW, just thought i'd leave this here 'n case anyone's still snoopin' around this thread:
An exchanger is a person engaged as a business in the exchange of virtual currency for real currency, funds, or other virtual currency *cough*Google it, buyer, Google it*cough*
-W.E. Coyote, Esq.
Luciddd (OP)

View Profile
June 11, 2013, 11:00:50 PM

-W.E. Coyote, Esq.

You apparently miss the point.  Roll Eyes

buyer

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:04:35 AM

I think it does require registration.  retailers who sell moneypak cards are required to be registered with fincen and these retailers have standards they follow for kyc and aml.  moneypak is a stored value card and as such trading them in certain jurisdictions requires registration.  anyone selling moneypak for btc who has not registered with fincen is probably breaking the law.

why are they not caught? nobody has noticed them.  In time there will be more regulation and less wild west trading in the bitcoin world.  if you are seeking a registered and legal bitcoin -> moneypak solution check the website I built at:  
https://www.sellbitcoinforcash.com  
jacktarli

Activity: 126

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 08:59:58 AM

Why wouldn't it be legal and a lot of people are doing this so who cares  Grin
suryc

Activity: 298
Merit: 250

Play2Live pre-sale starts on January 25th

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 09:13:18 AM

It is not illegal, but technically you must register as an MSB with FinCEN based on a conservative interpretation of their most recent guidance. Available here: http://www.fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html
See the part under " Administrators and Exchangers of Virtual Currency "

Now that being said, there is some debate about exactly how to interpret this and also about the enforceability of this. I imagine we will continue to see new developments on this front.

I'm surprised this hasn't been discussed more on this forum, but here are two relevant threads:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30152.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=119123.0

PLAY
            ▄██████████████▄
          ▄██▀▀██████████████▄
        ▄██▀    ▀██████████████▄
      ▄██▀        ▀██████████████▄
    ▄██▀   ██████▄  ▀██████████████▄
  ▄██▀          ██    ▀██████████████▄
 ███       ▄█████▀      ███████████████
  ▀██▄    ▐██         ▄██████████████▀
    ▀██▄  ▐██████▌  ▄██████████████▀
      ▀██▄        ▄██████████████▀
        ▀██▄    ▄██████████████▀
          ▀██▄▄██████████████▀
            ▀██████████████▀
LIVE
██████
███▀▀▀
███

███
███▄▄▄
██████
██████
▀▀▀███
███

███
▄▄▄███
██████
Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 11:00:07 AM

I think it does require registration.  retailers who sell moneypak cards are required to be registered with fincen and these retailers have standards they follow for kyc and aml.

You are incorrect.  Retailers selling these types of cards are exempt from registering per 31 CFR 1010.100 (ff)(7) unless they sell more than $10000 to any person on any one day.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:00:47 PM

I think it does require registration.  retailers who sell moneypak cards are required to be registered with fincen and these retailers have standards they follow for kyc and aml.

You are incorrect.  Retailers selling these types of cards are exempt from registering per 31 CFR 1010.100 (ff)(7) unless they sell more than $10000 to any person on any one day.

but bitcoin to moneypak is different because it involves an actual exchange of currency.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
buyer

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 01:15:14 PM

You are incorrect.  Retailers selling these types of cards are exempt from registering per 31 CFR 1010.100 (ff)(7) unless they sell more than $10000 to any person on any one day.

You are off by a factor of ten, sir.

"(3) Issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or stored value. An issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or, stored value (other than a person who does not issue such checks or money orders or stored value in an amount greater than $1,000 in currency or monetary or other instruments to any person on any day in one or more transactions). "

As I said they all have policies in place to prevent a single customer from acquiring so much "stored value" in one visit... so they can comply with AML and KYC requirements.  So then following this regulation if a btc -> moneypak sells more than $1000 per day to ANY customer(s) that site MUST be registered with FinCEN and probably within each state as a money transmitter.

And for these reasons the operator of this btc->moneypak site is registered with FinCEN: 
https://www.sellbitcoinforcash.com

Bitco

Activity: 746
Merit: 253

View Profile
June 14, 2013, 07:11:36 PM

You are off by a factor of ten, sir.

"(3) Issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or stored value. An issuer of traveler's checks, money orders, or, stored value (other than a person who does not issue such checks or money orders or stored value in an amount greater than $1,000 in currency or monetary or other instruments to any person on any day in one or more transactions). "

You are again incorrect.  You are quoting an outdated version of the regulations, which were revised in 2011.  The current version refers to "prepaid access" and not "stored value".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: